Olympic lacrosse rules

Discussion in 'Other Lacrosse' started by Andrew GEA, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

I was recently listen to a IL podcast and they briefly mentioned rules for the Olympics. I expanded on their ideas a made this set of rules:

-Played on Football that's cut off on each 15yrd line (70 yrds total)
    -No off side
    -No long poles
    -Faceoff at the start of each quarter, but not after each goal
    -7 man plus a goalie per team
    - feild goalie/ net using a box crease (cut on back and closer to 15 yrd line)
    -45 second shot clock
    -10 min quarters

If you guys can think up better rules post them !

2. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

There are no rules because lacrosse is 100 years away from even being considered for the Olympics.

3. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Lacrosse with no rules sounds barbaric.

4. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

Lacrosse could definitely be in the Los Angeles 2028 summer Olympics. I'd say at least ten countries from FIL would participate.

The point is to develop the game to give easier access to equipment which will give more opportunities to players outside of North America.

Decisions like playing on a field, no long poles and feild style goalies (less pads) will be cheaper and easier for people in Europe and Asia.

I thought it'd be fun to brainstorm how the game would function given the Olympic opportunity instead of shutting it down (which will never grow the game)

5. Wings-4-Life

Cool. Except the IOC looks for sports that are played in at least 75 countries AND at least 4 of the continents. Lacrosse is nowhere close to even being considered.

The FIL only has 38 members for men's lacrosse, many of which are the skill level of my local high school team. The women's side only has 25. At least they have the continent part covered.

6. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

That's how it started.

7. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

From what I've heard, a big part of getting Olympic consideration would be the men's and women's games getting closer together rule-wise.

8. Wings-4-Life

Right now, every single team sport plays under the same rules for men & women (water polo, basketball, field hockey, handball, soccer, rugby, and volleyball).

They could always try to enter together but separately like baseball/softball is doing in 2020.

9. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

It'd be the women's game will have to go by male rules but no contact ?

10. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

There are actually a lot.of differences between NBA and WNBA rules.

11. Wings-4-Life

No one was talking about the NBA & WNBA. We're talking about basketball in the Olympics.

wacklax and RockStar like this.
  12. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I do not have any fear that lacrosse will ever end up in the Olympics.

I truthfully hope not, it is less competitive than women's ice hockey, and that is the last kind of sport that anyone should be looking to add.

13. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I'm OK with lacrosse as an Olympic sport. If they keep adding countries in the world championship games, I could see it getting enough international participation to at least warrant it as a demonstration sport at some point. I think they're still a long way off from that, though.

14. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

What happened to the sport ? Lax was in the Olympics twice before 1910 and I think three times as a demonstration between the first and second world wars.

Only three countries ever competed Canada, US, England. That might be the reason as other sports got more popular!

15. RockStar

even in lacrosse hotbed regions of lacrosse power countries (all 3 of them if you count Aus), it is a fringe sport.

It is only in one (non-IOC-member) nation (of maybe 80k people) that lacrosse would rank in the top 2 or three of participation and interest.

Fcck the Olympics, one cannot be certain that there will still be lacrosse next week, brother :p

Andrew GEA likes this.
  16. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

Field lacrosse isn't even the form of lacrosse I'd want to gain an international profile -- box is where it's at. And even then if the Iroquois can't compete as a nation, why bother?

IAmDroot likes this.
  17. RockStar

Yeah, the drag of that is that international box lacrosse is even less competitive than field outside of Canada-Iroquois tilts.

If Calgary lands the 2026 winter games, a handful of Canada games as a demo sport would be watchable, but the rest would be the complete opposite of watchable.

18. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

My hot take is that I'd love for lacrosse to be enough of a global sport to be in the Olympics, but I think you'll see darts in the Olympics before you see lacrosse. Lacrosse's lack of inclusion in the Olympics doesn't take away from my enjoyment of either the Olympics or lacrosse.

19. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

tog of war was at 5 Olympics 1900-1920

20. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

They were simpler times