Olympic lacrosse rules

Discussion in 'Other Lacrosse' started by Andrew GEA, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Dave S-C

Dave S-C Active Member

I think lacrosse would be better to avoid the Olympics politics and bullshit and just continue doing its own thing with the world championships. For starters, there would be no Iroquois team nor separate England, Scotland, and Wales teams. Plus it sounds like the only way it could make the Olympics is if it basterdizes or whores its rules to the will of the IOC. I see very little gain from participating in the Olympics. To be honest, I feel like the push towards Olympic lacrosse is only being done to satisfy the egos of those involved with FIL, to give that organisation more importance that it has.

2. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

There are separate England, Scotland , and Welsh teams in the Olympics already.

You're right the rules will have to be streamlined to fit there regulations (which I think would be something in between box and field), but the benefit would be more exposure in lacrosse markets and internationally and countries in the FIL would get more funding if they entered the olympics. Plus countries that are not in the FIL would potentially be in the Olympics and or FIL.

There are a lot of benefits and with the women's lax in the world games it seems like lacrosse is already headed in that direction.

TL;DR - there's lots of potential benefits to Olympic lacrosse. It just might cost potential rules changes (for better or worse)

3. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

No, there most certainly are not.

RockStar likes this.
  4. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Lacrosse is a century away or more from being an Olympic sport, it’s barely a spectator sport in the countries it’s renowned in

RockStar likes this.
  5. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Southern Ontario is a lacrosse hotbed.

Here, lacrosse ranks somewhere below cricket in terms of public awareness and participation numbers.

I repeat - fcck the olympic dream!

CrocodileLax likes this.
  6. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Olympic dreams suck the big skin banana.

7. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

AmericanRockFan said it best: Olympic dreams do suck the big skin banana.

Olympic lacrosse doesn't deserve a second thought. But I'm bored, so here's a long-winded waste of everyone's time.

There are Olympic sports with small talent pools. Women's hockey is generally a two horse race between Canada and the US, a dynamic shared with lacrosse. I watch the last 5 or 10 minutes of the women's gold medal final knowing the entire tournament didn't matter. I can't remember any of the medal winners, except in Vancouver. I'm unconvinced lacrosse would gain much from being ignored in a similar fashion. And it likely will be ignored wholeheartedly.

Field lacrosse can't draw flies outside the NCAA at any level, especially internationally, without substantial comps. And it's tedious to watch, even when Canada and the US are playing. Add a tight shot clock: it's happened at various levels of field lacrosse. Games were still boring. Make the field smaller. The IOC is unlikely to support high contact forms of the sport which eliminates strong checking. There will thus be space for the ceaseless passing and running down the clock that taints even the best field games. It's still boring. Eliminate the long poles -- it adds a few extra seconds of scrambling for a loosie. It's still boring.

Making lacrosse an Olympic sport puts the world to sleep, if anyone bothers to watch.

It would also exclude the creators of the game, forcing them to play for their colonizers or to boycott the games. That's an instant black eye for the IOC.

What's the point of boring the planet with a garbage tournament that ends with one of the same two winners for decades? FIL already delivers that every four years. And it sucks.

The IOC would deliver the same tournament without the Iroquois and Scotland, which makes it even less competitive. Screw the Olympics.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Dave S-C and RockStar like this.
  8. Dave S-C

Dave S-C Active Member

Technically the Iroquois could play as an independent team of athletes - but they would wear the Olympic emblem and play under the Olympic flag and anthem and still be prohibited from utilizing any Iroquois identity. They'd probably have to be called something neutral like "Indigenous Athletes from Canada and United States of America" = I don't see that option flying with them.

RockStar likes this.
  9. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

I think you're right. If they can't play on their Haudenosaunee passports, they aren't playing.

10. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

correct, but the Welsh and others play as a nation in other competitions, just not the olympics.

11. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Which is irrelevant, since we're discussing the Olympics. It's already been stated they have their own teams in the FIL.

12. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I actually watch the entire games of Canada-USA if I can.....it's spirited, passionate hockey, and, with the oldtimers style non/light contact rules, it's speedy, and, huge emphasis on puck movement and skill.

Still, you are correct that it is purely a two-horse race with little fear of any other nation catching up......Canada or USA by itself has an order of magnitude more participants than the rest of the world put together. Between them, they could put together 8 teams that would, most worlds or olympics, fill the quarter finals.

Lacrosse would be similar-ish, except that AUS and UK might take a quarter final spot.....but perhaps not if top Haudenosaunee athletes chose to compete on one of my hypothetical 8 teams for the nation that surrounds their treaty's land.