on otcb podcast, jenner intimates that commish wants players in nll only

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by dougm, May 25, 2017.

1. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

on the most recent over the crossbar podcast, ted jenner intimates that nll commissioner in adding new teams will have an even longer season and its players will basically nll exclusive property. at the same time, the nll is making a big push for american players by partnering with usbox and its big presence at the upcoming ncaa's. so the league wants to get ncaa players to sacrifice their mll gig, a sport and a league that leverages their existing skills into endorsements and maintains their 'star' status rather than being labeled a 'project.' the players, when exposed to box, enjoy playing box. so if the season ending mid june threatens the ability for players to expand their paycheck, then is this even possible? until the league starts paying a wage that equals playing for both nll and mll seasons, then getting more kids like schreiber, mcardle, riordan etc. will be even harder.

https://soundcloud.com/teddy-jenner-1/otcb-may-23-17-nick-sakiewicz

2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

It sounds like it's fighting fire with fire to me since the MLL has some MLL exclusive deals.

It's really unfortunate the two leagues just can't co-exist and practically become one big (unofficial) partnership and schedule around one another.

dougm likes this.
  3. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

how TF do you insist on exclusivity when a mid grade veteran doesn't even earn poverty line wage from NLL.

I cannot imagine the influential folks at the PLPA will be delighted at this, and, the last time there was significant labour strife, it just about killed the league.

pass the popcorn.

4. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

i believe nll minimum is better than mll minimum. so for the depth guys, the nll is the way to go.

5. AmericanRockFan

This. I think the NLL minimum is better than the MLL minimum by a decent margin too (at least it is percentage wise, which isn't hard when the salaries are as low as they are).

6. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

That would be ideal. But seeing as in recent years that the MLL has moved the start of their season into mid-April and the NLL has pushed their playoffs into mid-June, it doesn't look like that proposition is on the table.

But this would only be for mostly American players. The Canadian summer box leagues start around now and really only have to wait a week or 3 to start getting players back. Plus the players on those NLL teams that didn't make the playoffs have had a few weeks off to rest.

7. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

But if I'm the player, I can actually ask less from each league but if I get to play in both, I can make more.
    win-win if you ask me unless one of the leagues gets a sugar daddy investor

8. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

The box leagues matter less.....most of the NLL'ers have a spot, so, they return mid season to bump a local space filler, or just show up enough to get their minimum games so they are eligible to be rostered for playoffs. The teams there are used to this.

Junior A is a bigger challenge as you start in late April / early May, and some teams might be waiting for not only their young pros, but also NCAA players.

I just noticed the Senior B schedule. Interestingly, In previous years, they would have had two or three weekends worth of games done by now. Turns out they have not started yet, and are not even starting until May 27.....looks like the teams that have a few pros will have them available for the whole season.

9. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

I kind of thought MLL was stupid to start before Memorial Day, because, wouldn't you want several of your highest profile draft picks to have already reported to their pro team???

10. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

yep, I always thought. it makes 1/3 of their season a preseason, NLL or not.

11. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

Ideally the commish wants the NLL to be a fully pro league. Eventually he want the player to earn enough to only play in the NLL. In the off-season they might play with a summer box affiliate or do team specific off season training.

At some point they will have to tell the MLL ( and I'm a fan of the MLL) to suck a big one and that field is number 2.

I would love the two to co operate and that might happen when gross is out next year, but with gross it'll never happen.

12. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

I get it but I am looking at it from a college grad's perspective. you can't have this outreach to the graduating fieldies and simultaneously deny them a revenue stream.

13. AmericanRockFan

On a related note, didn't a prior commissioner have aspirations of starting an NLL Outdoor league?

14. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

I think you have to pay players quite a bit more to ditch the MLL for the NLL. Even a slight increase may not be enough for guys who are more connected to the field side of the game. Plus, I'd guess there are more sponsorship opportunities from playing field. That's just from watching the ads during the two league's games. There are plenty of equipment commercials with MLL players. Rare to see one with the NLL.

In a way, both leagues have an interesting disadvantage. For the MLL, I'd guess they make less money than the NLL does (just based on attendance numbers). For the NLL, it will be tough to break through and have box lacrosse be thought of as a standard form of the sport. The fact that high school and college teams are outdoor and very few Americans play box growing up makes it hard to shed that "indoor football" feel for many. I'm not sure this is really possible to overcome unless you get junior box leagues in the US and kids playing at a high school level. This would probably take decades.

15. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

They really should play nice and work together. Cross promotioms, expanded advertiser visibility, shared marketting and.other staff..

16. AmericanRockFan

Perhaps it's because I'm in the midst of reading Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell right now, but I would like to see some sort of map that illustrates how people across the US and Canada think of lacrosse. By that, I mean I wonder if in western New York where you have two of the longstanding NLL franchises if people think of box lacrosse as "true lacrosse" more than outdoor lacrosse. Or if in Canada, it's more about box than it is about indoor.

For myself, I was introduced to box lacrosse first. Hell, I didn't even know it as "box" lacrosse, to me it was just lacrosse. Then the Rattlers came around, and to me that was "outdoor" lacrosse. So for me, box lacrosse will always be the standard form of the sport even if that's not actually the case based on the history and evolution of the sport.

17. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

Might be a bit biased because I'm Canadian but I thought box was the true version. Natives and Canadians perfer box and only Americans perfer feild.

In the beginning years lacrosse was "invented" as a pro sports for when the summer months came and the hockey ice melted.

18. Dave S-C

Dave S-C Active Member

Attached Files:

RockStar likes this.
  19. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

ARF, I saw my cousin play for Trinity college once and was bored. Saw a few blips here and there, never was interested. I went to my first Wings game in 87 or 88. Hooked. This is back when tickets were cheap to everything. Back in the day I would go to anything just for the heck.of it. I hate soccer but even went to 1 or 2 indoor games. Pro tennis, Phillies, Sixers... I would try just about everything the Spectrum housed except truck pulls, boxing and wrassling. I got the the last two from Flyers hockey:p. I dont see millenials doing that on a whim. They have to know about it to go.

Both the MLL and NLL have to build interest in the sport. They can both benefit from increased coverage of the sport as whole. Maybe if they took a holistic approach to the game as a whole, both leagues could benefit?

20. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I totally agree with this. More could be gained by working together than overlapping each other's seasons and locking players into "exclusive" contracts.