Overpay for Brett Mydske?

Discussion in 'Saskatchewan Rush Forum' started by chuckster, Jul 25, 2018.

1. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

SAN DIEGO SEALS: have traded Brett Mydske to the Saskatachewan Rush in exchange for two first round picks in the 2018 NLL Entry Draft (10th & 11th Overall), a fourth round pick in the 2018 NLL Entry Draft (50th Overall) and a second round pick in the 2019 NLL Entry Draft.

Did the Rush really give up 2 1st rounders this year for him? I don't know much about Mydske but this sounds like a serious overpay to get a guy back that they lost in the expansion draft. Kudos to the Seals on this one.....they're going into the entry draft in great shape with 5 of the first 17 picks this year.

RockStar likes this.
  2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

For that price, why didn't they just work out some sort of a deal before the expansion draft to make sure the Seals and Wings didn't pick him at all? Because as it stands now they practically just sent 2 firsts, a second, and a fourth to San Diego to keep the guy.

3. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

This is what I was thinking. Handshake deals exist. If he was that important, they should have protected him.

4. IAmDroot

IAmDroot Guest

Did maybe the Rush think that Mydske's talk about not wanting to play anywhere else and being a free agent would be enough to keep the Wings/Seals away from him?

5. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Mydske's legit, but, damn is that a high price to keep him.

6. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

It also makes you wonder how seriously the Seals took Mydske's comments, or how serious Mydske was in making his comments. For an expansion franchise, the Seals just proved they're no pushovers when it comes to making deals.

RockStar likes this.
  7. chuckster

If I was a Wings fan, I would be questioning why Paul Day didn't take Mydske and then flip him back to the Rush for that haul.

8. RockStar

wings dont manipulate in expansion.....
    just overpay to get a broken down vet back

9. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

No what they will do is trade a first to NE for digby when they could of drafted him
    Hopefully that mindset is gone and in the past

They have already put hickey Matisz and currier to work doing PR spots and camps

10. RockStar

Based on Paul Day's novel team building strategy from the early days of the Rush, I wouldn't discount anything.

11. unspoken

unspoken Member

It's not really much of an overpay. The Seals likely would have got two first rounders in compensatory picks had he signed elsewhere on August 1. This way, they get those picks plus a bit extra to not franchise tag him. Now that he's reacquired without a franchise tag, the Rush can sign him to a deal that pays less than franchise dollars and help their salary cap to retain or sign other players.

12. Gravedigger

Gravedigger Member

I mean Derek Keenan is probably the best GM in the league but even he's prone to mistakes (see: the acquisition of Dan Dawson). It makes sense for the Seals since they're getting the 1st rounders this year instead of 1/2 years down the line, but there just doesn't seem like a reason to do this from the Rush perspective. The only realistic teams Mydske would've signed with were the Rush and Stealth. But even now he doesn't have a guaranteed contract. So if he was planning to jump to Vancouver, they've still done nothing to prevent that from happening. Seems like pissing away 2 1st rounders for no reason. Oh well, at least the team is retaining one of the best defensemen in the league. Should've at least kept one of the 1st rounders to draft a dman/transition guy to replace either Cornwall or Sorichetti for next year.

13. chuckster

Maybe, but then the Rush would have had their 3 first round picks and the Seals would have had picks 14, 15 in the 1st round and not 10 and 11.

If the Rush held those picks, they would have had 6 first rounders between this year and next for a team that is already stacked with talent. Is this a case of acquiring too many 1st rounders?

14. chuckster

I'm still going with Curt Styres for that title. Keenan is a close 2nd but Styres had a championship team, tore alot of it down, restocked it over 2 drafts and almost won the Cup this year.

15. unspoken

unspoken Member

The problem is where do you put all these draft picks? Not only are the Rush loaded with draft picks, they're also loaded with talent. Nick Finlay will go from the practice roster into Sorichetti's spot. Cornwall and Dilks will both likely miss next year for firefighting stuff, but Tor Reinholdt and Matt Magrotty are there to replace them. There's also some UFAs who can fill the gaps short term who would love to play for the Rush and have a solid shot to win a championship. If Keenan didn't trade these picks now, he would have at the draft. And with Calgary (4 1st rounders this year) and Georgia (5 2nd rounders this year) also likely shopping picks, the return might have been much less when teams knew they were desperate to sell (like how many teams fleeced Georgia at the draft last year).

16. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

the value of draft picks goes down if we get 3-4 teams in two years.

17. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

Definitely, you're much more likely to find those diamond in rough players with a larger league and more late bloomers. That is part of the reason the Bandits dumped picks all the time with Darris at the helm. Proven commodities were/are more valuable in a larger league.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  18. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

Also with another expansion daft likely for next 3-4 years a younger stacked team like the Rush has less use for watered down draft picks next year

19. Gravedigger

Gravedigger Member

Alternatively, some teams might be willing to give more for the draft picks if a player they really like is available there the day of the draft. For example, they were able to get Rochester to overpay for Brad Gillies/Derek Searle back in 2015 which landed them two 1st rounders, one which became Mike Messenger. Also Reinholt, MacGrotty, and Finlay are not on the level of Dilks, Cornwall, and Sorichetti. Not even close. Reinholt is honestly a "Vancouver Stealth caliber player". Will the 10th/11th overall picks be at the level of the D/T guys the Rush are losing? Probably not, but at least now you have 5 chances to replace that kind of talent instead of 3, or better yet, trade them for another stud D/T guy and just sign Mydske as a free agent. There's really no justifying this trade regardless of how good Mydske is.

20. Gravedigger

Gravedigger Member

They're close and have different strengths. I think Keenan is the better GM when it comes to drafting and developing whereas Styres is better when it comes to trades and asset management. I personally find drafting and developing to be more important, I mean what good is acquiring top draft picks when you blow them on the likes of Sid Smith, Ilija Gajic, Stephen Keogh, Johnny Powless etc. Now don't get me wrong, Styres is still good at drafting and managed to turn some of those botched picks around to fleece other teams like with Gajic and Powless, but just look at Rochester's drafting history vs Edmonton/Saskatchewan's drafting history, especially outside of the 1st round, and it's night and day.