Philadelphia Union to have 17 games on national television

Discussion in 'Off-topic Forum' started by arenazone, Feb 3, 2010.

1. WingsfaninMA

WingsfaninMA New Member

I think MLS is never going to supplant MLB and the NFL ... the culture shift isn't there in our lifetimes. If the demographic changes continue and by 2100 the US is primarily Hispanic, then maybe, but we won't be here to see it. The US has a way of assimilating people into the melting pot over the long run, though, so I would think it'll never change.

I do think it has a fair chance of supplanting the NHL and NBA and becoming the 3rd most popular team sport in terms of TV ratings. Soccer has a shorter schedule (38 regular season games, 4-5 playoff games, and maybe 10 other games like the US Open Cup, international competitions, or friendlies for about 60 dates a season), so I don't know if it can pass those sports in terms of pure revenue.

I believe the short and medium term 'mileposts' that would be fair would be:

Short Term (by 2015):

1. Overall Profitability for a season
    2. Increasing the quality of play to the point where the teams are regularly competitive in the CONCACAF Champions Cup (the North American version of the Champions League)
    3. Expansion to 20 teams without any contractions.

Medium Term (say 2020-2025):

1. Elimination of the single entity structure
    2. MLS teams winning the CONCACAF Champions Cup somewhat regularly
    3. 24 team league, with perhaps an MLS 2nd division of an additional 12-16 teams if market conditions permit.
    4. No contractions, and very limited franchise movement.
    5. 3rd most popular team sport in terms of TV ratings

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2010
  2. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

watched some of the game last night
    crowd was cool
    game was eh
    would I watch again
    maybe

3. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

I made it to the 32nd minute. Couldn't take anymore after that.

Seattle has a good atmosphere but there's still too much diving and flopping for me.

I'll certainly go to a game when they move into PPL Park.

4. DrewDog

DrewDog New Member

didn't see the game but I hear PU lived up to its name and logo :p

[​IMG]

5. BCD

BCD New Member

"Huge" result spectrum there...

Score zero, you are teh suck.

Score three, you're on some kind of scoring rampage!

Far too complex of a game for your average ignorant American to enjoy... :rolleyes:

6. Wings-4-Life

So I'm watching the Union on channel 6.2 whatever the hell this is.

I hear Chad talk up the MLS and all of it's fans and the Red Bulls just moved into a brand new stadium this year. It's 40% full.

7. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Union has a lease that says they can move if.they are.in the bottom 25% in attendance in the league. It took longer than I expected, but they are there. Will they move?

8. Wings-4-Life

I doubt it. The stadium is still pretty new, and pretty much every corner of America now is saturated with below-average soccer.

9. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

But are they doing bad financially?

10. Wings-4-Life

Holy ****, how social media has grown! The Eagles now have over 3 million facebook fans & the Phillies have over 1.7 million.

BTW, not that anyone took Chad seriously about the Union, but the Sixers now have over 1.6 million fans, while the Union have 176,000.

11. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

8 years later I’ve watched maybe 4 games