Pop Culture Quiz

Discussion in 'Off-topic Forum' started by Vin, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Totally discovered a particular fact by accident today, but it was so neat that I decided to offer it up as a pop-culture quiz.

The Facts:
    • There is an actress who was married and divorced twice, once each to two different actors. She was not married to anyone else.
    • After both of these two actors were divorced from this actress, the two actors each had a very prominent role in the same well-received 2009 "alternative" movie.
    • This actress was NOT in that movie, but, at that time, she had the lead role on a popular TV series which has since ended.

The Questions:
    • Who is the actress, what TV show did she star in, and what was her role?
    • Who are the actors, what is the movie, and what roles did they play?

I can't give away any more info without pretty much giving away the answer.

If necessary, I may give out additional clues later.

2. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Oops, this needs to get moved to Off-Topic. Sorry.

3. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Additional Hints

OK, maybe some hints are in order:
    1. The second husband met the actress when he guest-starred on her TV show.
    2. The TV show that the actress starred in was on cable TV, not broadcast.

4. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Define "alternative movie." I've looked through a few films and so far haven't been able to come up with an answer.

5. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

More on "alternative"

"Alternative" is a tough clue. If I elaborated on the meaning, it'd give an enormous hint as in "What is your name? 10 seconds, Bob."

However, I will elaborate in a negative way: "Alternative" is not in the movie's title and it also doesn't mean this is an art house movie. This was a big budget movie.

"Alternative" describes some fundamental aspect about the movie. Not like in how it was filmed or anything cinematic, but "alternative" can be applied to an important aspect of the story.
    I am not sure if I can elaborate on it any further without giving away the store.

EDIT: A little more elaboration above. I am fairly certain now that if I elaborated more on "alternative" that would readily give away the movie.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2013
  6. ParrotBayTaz

ParrotBayTaz New Member

Care to give any hints on the show? Was it comedy, drama? I was thinking Glenn Close.

7. AmericanRockFan

Glenn Close has only married one actor apparently. She's always been with a carpenter, a guitarist, and a producer, and is apparently currently married to an executive and venture capitalist.

In conclusion, I don't believe she's the correct answer.

8. tuts

tuts New Member

Q Who is the actress, what TV show did she star in, and what was her role?
    A Marie Louise Parker as Nancy Botwin in Weeds.

Q Who are the actors, what is the movie, and what roles did they play?
    A Movie was Watchmen. Actors were Billy Crudup as Dr Manhattan and Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Edward Blake.

9. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

... aka The Comedian.

Tuts wins! (How did you figure it out?)

For the others, "alternative" was operative because Watchmen takes place in 1985 during Nixon's 4th Administration. It's an Alternative History story...

Someone else should ask a pop culture quiz question now.

10. AmericanRockFan

I misread the question. I thought you meant that both of her ex-husbands were in the same movie. Oh well, I wouldn't have gotten the answer right anyway.

11. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

You didn't misread: Billy Crudup played Dr. Manhattan in Watchmen and Jeffrey Dean Morgan played The Comedian (whose name was Edward Blake) in Watchmen.

I did get something wrong though: While Mary Louise Parker was married to Billy Crudup, she was only engaged to Jeffrey Dean Morgan, but the engagement fell through. Ironically, her character, Nancy Botwin, was married to Morgan's character, Judah Botwin, in Weeds. It was Judah's death while jogging in the very first episode that prompts Nancy to take-up selling weed to support her kids which is the premise of the show.

I so much wanted to add another clue though: No one from The Blue Man Group was harmed making this motion picture.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Active Member

Wow, that was disappointing. Never heard of any of the three of them, nor Weeds. I did see Watchmen, but didn't particularly like it.

13. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Same here on the actors. I even searched 2009 cable tv shows, and weeds didn't come up.

14. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Well, someone else should do a pop culture question now. Think of it as like Trivial Pursuit.

15. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Next Question

Since no one will offer another one, I think I'll do a second one. I think this one will be easier...

When it comes to fiction, one phrase often used is to have writers (or actors) "get into the character's head". One actor not only got into his character's head, but he already was. Name the actor, the character, and the movie.

16. tuts

tuts New Member

Could it be Being John Malkovich, where Malkovich plays himself, part of the movie taking place in his head. Great movie btw.

17. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

You get a corner office on the 7-1/2th Floor!

Correct! Technically, Malkovich is playing a fictionalized version of himself as he (the actor) and he (the character) actually have different middle names. Of course, near the end of the film, Malkovich (the character) gets to go into his own head.

18. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

missed it by 20 mins.

19. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Question 3

"Butterflies Are Not Free" was not the sequel to 1972's "Butterflies Are Free", but it could have been the title of an autobiographical motion picture made the next year.

Name the movie and its star whose character's nickname was the title of the movie.

I expect Swami to get this.

20. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Question 4

"Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty 4-star general Nazi-hunting prisoner!"

What's in common about the implied movie references? What are the movies?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2013