Pop Culture Quiz

Discussion in 'Off-topic Forum' started by Vin, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Don't question it; be assertive! It IS Xander Berkeley!

The Eddie Grant reference was to Telegraph Avenue, a famous and wonderful street in Berkeley California that I had a chance to visit in 1994.

So, what's the explanation of the underlined? What is the HBO movie that he was in in the final scene only and what happens in that final scene?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2015
  2. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

No idea........

3. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Try to figure it out.... I believe in you! Now that you know Xander Berkeley is the actor and that I'm talking about an HBO movie, that sort of narrows it down. However, that final scene may be hard to nail, so once you get the movie, if you don't know the scene, I'd just describe it although I believe this HBO movie is on YouTube in its entirety.

BTW, that underlined clue is filled with 2 double-entrendres (sort of).

4. swami24

You overestimate me. I could rattle off names from IMDB, but I don't have HBO so I have no clue

5. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

OK, well, maybe this will help:

The Xander Berkeley HBO movie in which he had a small role at the end was a remake of a 1958 B-movie and was directed by an actor whose character in a different film knew how to go "up to 11".

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2015
  6. The_Vukster

The_Vukster Active Member

Spinal Tap was the movie...and I believe Nigel Tufnel (played by Christopher Guest) mentioned that their amps go up to 11. He did direct Attack of the 50 Ft. Woman, which was a remake, and Xander Berkley was in it.

7. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

That's right. The movie I was looking for was 1993's HBO remake of Attack of the 50-Foot Woman which had a markedly different ending than the original.
    I knew the "11" reference would be all that was necessary...

I'll edit this post when I get home and provide a video link since the video is better than any verbal explanation for the red.

The final scene starts at 1:22:14 although it would help to see roughly the previous 10 minutes as Nancy Archer (Daryl Hannah) rampages through the town and grabs her husband Harry (Daniel Baldwin). Xander Berkeley is the actor with the thumb pointed upward...

[video=youtube;EZJ0KlL6_GI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZJ0KlL6_GI[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2015
  8. swami24

I saw that in the list, and was going to guess it on the 'looked up to' reference..

9. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Pop Culture Quiz - Off-season 2015 - Question 13

I think this one will be easier to get....

Despite his surname, this late actor was not bird-brained.
    In fact, perhaps his most famous character was in a classic film in which his character could have been nicknamed "The Wizard of Id"...
    Furthermore, despite the sound of the character's actual name
    1. this character is not related to a similarly named Laurence Fishburne character in another movie.
    2. this character is not related to a similarly named one-sided strip.

Who is this actor?
    What is the name of this classic movie and when was it released?
    What was the name of the character he played in this classic movie?

I underlined sound because all three sound similar. However, I can give a little more:

If you take the first syllable in the name of the Fishburne character and combine it with the two remaining syllables after the first syllable in the strip name, you will get the name of the famous character in the classic movie.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2015
  10. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Clue for Pop Culture Quiz - Off-season 2015 - Question 13

The actor's first name is Walter.

11. swami24

This item costs about $21, but it costs hundred of thousands of dollars to earn the right to wear it. What is it?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2015
  12. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

The NLL Champions Cup? ;)

EDIT: Actually, an MLB athletic cup sorta fits...

13. swami24

DOH.... $21. To make up, it is always monogrammed

14. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Active Member

$21 seems a little low, but how about the green jacket from the Masters?

15. swami24

It is not green.

16. swami24

Walter pidgeon
    Forbidden planet 1956
    Dr morebeus

17. swami24

Name the first Phila Flyers player born after the franchise's first game?
    Name the first Phila Flyers Head Coach born after the franchise's first game?

18. The_Vukster

The_Vukster Active Member

Their new coach...Dave Hakstol, born July 30, 1968. They started playing in 1967.

19. swami24

Yup. I first guessed John Steves, before looking it up. There were actally two players that would work, who played in the same aeason, but one is the clear answer.

20. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

In two consecutive years, 3 actors starred in three pictures all nominated for Best Picture.

To make describing the clues easier:
    1. Let's call these actors Ash, Bishop, and Call. (*)
    2. Let's call each movie, Movie_Year_1, Movie_Year_2_A, Movie_Year_2_B, etc.

In the first year:
    1. Ash and Bishop starred in Movie_Year_1 which was nominated for Best Picture and Best Adapted Screenplay.
    2. Ash was the lead and this would be his breakout film.
    3. Bishop played a critical character whose name was associated with the title of the original story on which Movie_Year_1 is based.

In the second year:
    1. Movie_Year_2_A won both Best Picture and Best Adapted Screenplay that year.
    2. Ash won Best Director for Movie_Year_2_A and was nominated for Best Actor for that movie.
    3. Movie_Year_2_B was nominated for both Best Picture and Best Adapted Screenplay that year.
    4. Bishop was the lead actor in the Movie_Year_2_B. This was Bishop's breakout film.
    5. Call was an important supporting actor in Movie_Year_2_B but he was nominated for Best Actor for Movie_Year_2_C which was also nominated for Best Picture that year.
    6. Movie_Year_2_D also didn't involve Ash or Bishop, but it also was nominated for Best Picture that year and is in the same genre as Movie_Year_2_B.
    7. While Call was not directly involved at all in Movie_Year_2_D, years earlier, he won Best Supporting Actor in Movie_Year_X which is another movie associated with Movie_Year_2_D.
    8. Movie_Year_2_E didn't involve Ash or Bishop or Call, but it was nominated for Best Picture that year, but, ironically, the movie's title is very descriptive of Bishop's character in Movie_Year_1.
    One final clue:

In real life, Ash is exactly one month younger than Bishop.​

I'm holding off giving more clues for now. There are many more clues involving Movie_Year_2_D and, if Movie_Year_2_D is determined, likely the rest will quickly be determined.

Anyway...
    Who are Ash, Bishop, and what are the names of all 6 movies, and, finally, what are the two years in which these 6 movies were released?

(*) That's not a clue, but simply placeholders for the actors names. I chose these names because they are the first 3 androids in the Alien films. Those movies have nothing to do with the movies in this question.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017