Pop Culture Quiz

Discussion in 'Off-topic Forum' started by Vin, Jun 5, 2013.

1. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

What's the answer to this question?

2. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

A Doctor's lab coat. You have to earn your undergrad and medial degrees to earn the right to wear one in a medical setting.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  3. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

4. swami24

I.was thinking Tom Hanks and Matt Damon, but got stuck there.

5. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Not a bad guess... I am sorry that the question seems so complex... It's not that bad, just looks it.
    OK, I will give some hints:
    1. Comparatively speaking to Year_1 and Year_2, X<0.
    2. As mentioned, Call won Best Supporting Actor for his role in Movie_Year_X. However, Movie_Year_X was won Best Picture.
    3. Two movie years later, Call was nominated (but lost) as Best Actor in Movie_Year_X+2 which was also nominated for Best Picture.
    4. The Director of Movie_Year_X+2, let's call him "David", was not nominated as Best Director that year, but he was nominated (but lost) as Best Director for Movie_Year_2_B.
    5. In fact, actor Call and that Director David have worked in numerous Academy Award nominated/won pictures together.
    So, besides the question already asked, what is Movie_Year_X+2 and who is the director named David?

(Again, David is just a placeholder name with David being the name of the 4th android in the Alien films.)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  6. swami24

I wish I had the time and energy to set up the matrix to figure this out.

7. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Yeah, unfortunately, I don't have Visio at work on my normal machine. I was going to create a block diagram to show the connections.
    It's not pure logic though. I also expect to add another clue or two or three. The more I look at the movies involved, the coincidences are very numerous!

8. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

OK, this is just too convoluted to draw up and, considering I had lots of extra clues that I could have given by introducing more people and movies making it even more convoluted, I will just give the answers:

ASH = Kevin Costner
    BISHOP = Ray Liotta
    CALL = Robert De Niro
    DAVID = Martin Scorcese

The Year X is 1974.
    The Year 1 is 1989.
    The Year 2 is 1990.

MOVIE_YEAR_X = The Godfather, Part II
    MOVIE_YEAR_X+2 = Taxi Driver
    MOVIE_YEAR_1 = Field of Dreams
    MOVIE_YEAR_2_A = Dances With Wolves
    MOVIE_YEAR_2_B = Goodfellas