Post Expansion Roster Thoughts

Discussion in 'Buffalo Bandits Forum' started by fandit, Jul 17, 2018.

1. fandit

fandit Active Member

Sad to see Harris go. Hope he returns some day. But we all knew we were going to lose a good player and a bad goaltender. :D I thought DiRuscio was the best of the 3 and being drafted kinda proves it. That said, still have to upgrade over all 3, I mean 2.
    As for Fraser. I think he going to be very, very, good..........just not here. With Shawn and Dhane I don't see him getting many touches. I think his future is as trade bait. Especially if we add Staats.
    Sweeting is also a nice pick up. Our left side on defense is a glaring weakness an he should help greatly.
    Over all, Chugger is off to a good start on the off season........he just has a long way to go!

2. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic for the season. I'm sure there are more moves/signings to come.

3. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I thought Diruscio was the worst of the 3 and I can't understand why the Wings took him. Maybe Chugger worked it so that they stayed away from Buque and Higgins but I can't believe that the Wings really thought Diruscio is a better option than a guy like Goodleaf. The Wings need to add another goalie and maybe they make a pitch for Bold but the Wings will have a hard time keeping the ball out of the net with Diruscio back there.

Chugger makes or breaks it for me with the draft. #3 and #4 is an opportunity for really good long-term defensive help and they need that right now more than Staats. But if Staats comes in and the deal costs us something like Mitch Jones or Josh Byrne, a defender not named Priolo, #3 or #4 (not both) and a future second rounder or 2, I can't see how Chugger could not take that for Staats.

4. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

Can they land Staats without giving up Byrne?

I see Staats with a bulky knee brace in pictures. Is that knee an issue?

Might the fact that Staats wants to play here (per Ilindoor article) make this easier to pull off?

From what I read in the Ilindoor article, Gilray sounds like a great defender.

5. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

i have not combed through who was left when they took Diruscio, but it wasn't until 9, so it is not like they passed up on a gamebreaker to get him.

in any case, they have a guy that might be a legit NLL backup now. That might be all you get - in an expanding league, the value of a top 5 goalie goes up, so, the teams that have them are not dealing them casually.......going to cost big.

so, i guess you invite some fringe/suitcase free agents to camp and see if you can find a diamond in the rough.

6. LordStanley1893

I'm not really interested in dealing for Staats unless Jones and/or Byrne would have commitment issues as there hometowns are out west. I don't think Staats is enough of an upgrade to warrant the cost IMO. Especially with the need to revamp the defense.

On the goalie selection pertaining to Rochester. They may have rated Goodleaf higher than Diruscio, but did they rate Goodleaf higher than the two players they selected from Rochester (Currier & Brown). I would say no.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  7. chuckster

Stamp has Staats labeled as a "generational talent". I would deal for Staats but not at the expense of #3 AND #4 overall. I would give up a lefty forward, a defender that's not Priolo, and either #3 or #4 (not both). If I could get Staats and Gilray/McKay, that would set us up for a long time to come.

8. chuckster

Maybe, but it would likely cost Mitch Jones. And that's OK to get Staats.

9. fandit

fandit Active Member

I talked to someone today who said there are "lots of moving parts" to this deal. One version is simple......#3 and#4 for #1 and the Seals top pick in the second round, currently #15. They also have #17. Neither team seem to like that, but it's available if they can't do more. The Seals apparently want Chase Fraser included in the deal, which is why the Wings were "bribed" to stay away. The Bandits are trying to keep either #3 or #4 while adding the Seals #15.
    So, the framework is something like one of the lefties, Fraser and #3 for #1 and #15. The moving parts are #3 vs#4, which lefty and can the Bandits also squeeze them for #17 as well.
    That would leave the Bandits with Staats, probably McKay and one or two extra 2nd rounders.
    The Seals would have Robinson, Byrne/Jones and Fraser.
    Then again, the front office does love to trade first rounders in pairs.....:eek:

10. LordStanley1893

Intriguing. I like this more if the Bandits get a second round pick. Gilray is rumored to possibly have work issues (I think he may be coaching in California). There may only be one defenseman worth taking at 3 & 4 in that scenario. With a pick at 15 you can get someone who should probably make the roster.

11. chuckster

If that's the deal to land Staats and also get McKay, I say do it. But if Staats isn't coming in, then I wouldn't do it.

12. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

I don’t want to give up Byrne in this deal. They can’t overpay here and repeat the mistakes of the past in terms of trading away the farm. I’m OK giving up Fraser as he’s still a prospect and maybe Jones as he’s a BC guy. Still, Jones was a 38 goal scorer last year. We know they need defense and are in a prime spot to add that.

Instead of Fraser, what about Evans? Or does it make more sense to include Fraser since he’s from the West coast also.

13. chuckster

I don't think giving up lefty forward Byrne for lefty forward Staats is overpaying. If what those who follow Junior A are right about Staats being a generational player, then it's not an overpay. Even adding Fraser is not an overpay. Adding Evans might be but I doubt he's in the mix.

Sure, it's a gamble to get Staats but an overpay would be both of Buffalo's firsts this year AND Jones/Byrne AND Fraser AND future firsts.

14. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

I think we have to keep one of our firsts to get real defensive stud. Not another Brownell-type transition player that plays defense. The Ilindoor article I read referred to Gilray as a “beast”.

15. RockStar

If I am Chugger, I am very careful in the Staats draft pick bidding war.

If you were going to take a shot at getting Staats, I think in most scenarios, the cost to get the necessary draft pick includes a Jones, Durston, or Byrne........Which of these guys do you remove and replace?

Staats looks generational, and, if he avoids the injury bug, probably will be, but, I think stay at home defence, goaltending, and a succession plan for Steenhuis are bigger priorities than improving lefty scoring.

Bandits' Top 3 lefties already accounted for over 200 pts, and, the oldest one is still well under 30......There is no shortfall here, I don't think any team in the league has this combination of effectiveness and youth, and, the best may be yet to come.

Maybe ask yourself how many more points this group could post if the D forced three more turnovers per game, and the goaltending made six more saves per game. Would invert a few of the losses for sure!

Anyway, I ramble. If the cost to get Staats involves fccking with this young, well oiled lefty machine, it might be too high! Running with these three, and picking up two young prospects for the depth guy and the PS guy is valid. I'd make my moves focusing on other areas.

16. RockStar

I mean, you're not wrong - replacing one of those guys with Staats quite likely could increase lefty production, so, in that way, it's not overpaying.........but, I just have a thought that there's more bang for the buck keeping this core into their prime and shoring up other issues.

17. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

The right side has Dhane, Evans, Steenhuis, Fraser. Steenhuis is likely declining, and Fraser could be a long term replacement. Evans is a curious case to me because he’s 32 and should have more good seasons ahead of him, but also may have a lot of mileage on him too. Are his best seasons behind him? They brought him in and it did nothing for the team record. Defense and goaltending are the biggest issues.

I have a feeling that with SD in the West and Jones, Fraser being BC guys and Staats from the East that if Staats enters geography will play a role in any deal.

18. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Well-Known Member

From Steve Bermel on Twitter...

“While I can’t say any more right now, sources tell me there may be some big named NLL free agents who will surprisingly sign somewhere new this season. #NLL”

Anyone else hoping Vinc moves a little closer to home in Buffalo?

19. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

Wow...now I’m getting my hopes up. Is that really a possibility?

20. tydoggz

tydoggz Member

I think it’s silly to give up Byrne or both 3 and 4 pick for Staats. Fraser, Jones and #4 pick and its a deal (the western location is key here). Byrne has huge upside and giving him up for Staats is a near wash.....yes Staatsnis a generational player but How much of an improvement do you get in replacing Byrnes and yes defense should be the focus.

Vinc may end up in one of 2 places......Philly or Buffalo. Hoping Buffalo is the choice....