post mortem

Discussion in 'Buffalo Bandits Forum' started by dougm, Apr 29, 2018.

1. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

basically, it is an ability to do lots right but suffer a crippling blow that undoes all the effort

1 - both buque and zach are solid backups that any team would want. but neither has shown the mettle to become a #1.
    2 - defense, oh where for art thou? some nights they can suffocate, but they have fatal lapses. really the bandits season is for every 55 minutes of good ball, 5 minutes of pure suck ass, especially on the back end. perfect examples are brownell and priolo on most nights.
    3 - play the level of their competition most nights. sometimes, you just have kick an underdog when he is down.
    4 - a hot tempered coach issue. i call it the mike keenan syndrome. mike was a very good NHL coach if you gave him a roster of greenhorns. but if the team has vets, his ranting and raving are almost a joke to them. there is a reason that drill sergeants are not generals.
    5 - good young talent with byrne, weiss [love that kid], durston [same as nick], desnoo, and jones. they came to play most nights. the veterans have to take the lion's share of not showing up. it might mean a huge purge come expansion time but would be where i am thinking.
    6 - smith and shawn. smith had great numbers but clicking with shawn will make them almost impossible to stop or a breeze to stop. shawn has a ton of talent and you would had figured that calgary with a big 3 of dobbie, dickson and evans would had won more silverware. shawn can be the be the best and the worst of the same game. this is not news, this was his m.o. as a rookie, so he is what he is.
    7 - buffalo cut lose big bodies for smaller guys during the season. will they continue to opt for speed or go back to the big bad bandits of year after year?
    8 - dumb penalties. the man down unit was decent enough but you do the math. buffalo gives up the most minors next to vancouver but stops 52%, but a team like toronto pk is 50% but gives up almost 20% fewer chances, who's outcome is better? either the pk or on the floor discipline has to get better.
    9 - got picks this summer. would you trade both 1st rounders to get a stab at jeff teat?
    10-i cannot wait to yell, scream and curse at the sight of the bandits playing my wings again.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  2. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Well-Known Member

They have lots of issues, obviously.

On defense, there’s a severe lack of talent. and

Really overall there are so many guys on this roster that literally just blend together as warm bodies, and are interchangeable and could be swapped for one another and nobody would notice. They could all leave and I feel like you could easily replace them.

Those include: Acton, Wagner, Hoggarth, Reid, and Martin. That’s not even including guys like Patten, Fournier and Schott that are property of the Bandits too.

You have a middle tier: Weiss, Brownell, Harris, de Snoo (that dude is frustrating)

Then there’s the real talented guys: Smith, Byrne, Priolo, Evans, Jones, sometimes Durston.

I think expansion should help, the Bandits won’t lose anyone that’s really that important, and it should water down the better teams a tad, and expansion teams will likely take some time to gel.

They have tons of work to do to figure this out. It’s extremely unacceptable for this franchise to miss the playoffs back to back years in a 9 team NLL. There needs to be changes, and if it’s the coaching staff, fine. I don’t know who you replace them with, I’m not keen on Richie or Johnny taking over as their units are wildly unimpressive as it is.

3. Komarem

Komarem Guest

I disagree about Buque and Higgins being solid backups that any team would want. Neither did anything to show they even belong in the NLL, period. Buque was pulled in almost every game he played, and Higgins was only slightly better. Goaltending was a nightmare this season, and that's on Chugger.

As for Dhane, I was very disappointed in him this season. When he is playing hard, he is the best player in the league. Unfortunately, he turns it on and off. Imagine if always played as hard as he did in the last 5 minutes of last night's game.

4. KHawksWin2011

KHawksWin2011 Member

Let's be honest. Brownell cost Buffalo the game with that stupid penalty at the end. Not only will he likely be suspended for that dirty, dirty hit, but he should probably just be released from the Bandits altogether for singlehandedly costing them the playoffs. Had that penalty not happened the Bandits would have easily come back and defeated Rochester since Rochester was clearly out of gas and couldn't even do anything on the power play.

Also Steenhuis is clearly washed up. Literally everybody else on the Bandits offense is a weapon but Steenhuis is a try-hard that does nothing. Nice 13 point season, scrub.

5. Komarem

Komarem Guest

You do realize that steenhuis was out/injured half the year and used primarily on defense, right?

BanditsRock11 likes this.
  6. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

I enjoy hating on steenhuis like the rest of youse
    But even that’s a pretty ignorant comment
    Pretty sure last night was the first time they have run him on offense this season

He’s at the end of a hall of fame career at this point and that 13 points is more than you’ll ever have in the nll alex

7. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

Goaltending might continue to be a problem with expansion. At least the Bandits own the Stealth's first round pick in the upcoming entry draft.

8. Gravedigger

Gravedigger Member

Honestly the Bandits are in a pretty good spot IMO despite missing the playoffs. It's just a numbers game. All the teams in the East are relatively equal and someone was going to have to miss. The left side is set for years to come between Byrne, Jones, and Durston, and while trading Callum Crawford for Shawn "cancer" Evans was a colossal mistake from the getgo, you still have Dhane Smith who is one of the top 3 right handed forwards in the league. Defense is an adventure (Priolo is probably the only top tier dman on the team and he has too many brainfart games, there's a reason why he never wins defensive player of the year) and it doesn't help that the goaltending is mediocre at best. But with 2 top 5 picks in a defense heavy draft, with pretty much no need to address the left side on offense, you can load up on them.

9. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

I had an argument with someone on twitter before about goaltenders
    He said us lacrosse had plenty of goalies that could play in the nll

Well step on up fellas
    There isn’t even 9 quality starting goalies in the league as it is

RockStar and BanditsRock11 like this.
  10. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I can see why the D&C told you to take a hike when you offered to give them free articles with stupid observations like that. :rolleyes:

11. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

I appreciate that you still show up once every two months to post incredibly stupid comments.

12. chuckster

If it is defense heavy, then Chugger should definitely get 2 solid defenders. If he doesn't, he should be fired.

13. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Well-Known Member

He did finish 3rd in points in the league, or is as of right now. I honestly wish he got more touches. His first step/studder step is awesome. He hit so many posts this year too, it stood out to me. He’s the least of my worries, however yeah I think he could have gone harder at times, and I think you could say that about this entire team.

Last night the effort was prettt sad until Weiss made some nice hustle plays later in the game and it got everyone going.

14. chuckster

He is a sophomore this year at Cornell so he's likely 2 years away (2020 draft) if he stays in school. And he should stay in school. With expansion coming supposedly in that year, it would be a tremendous gamble to try and get #1 overall with teams that don't exist yet.

I say keep #3 (from VAN) and #4 (or #5) and if there's a solid defender or 2 there in the next draft, take them. They need the help now.

15. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

no one who understands the goaltending position to an "intense NLL fan" level thinks that there are a plethora of good goalies out there to fill a bunch of expansion teams.

There's an amazing dropoff between top 3 and 6-9.

Now, I've watched a fair bit of second level pro lacrosse and summer senior lacrosse over the years, and, the drop off between 9 and 18 is maybe not as steep, but, the team with the ninth best goalie in the NLL ain't winning ****, so, the same has to be predicted for the expansion teams whose starting tender is not even top 9 material.

16. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

a far cry from the days of sawicki, otoole, watson, locasio, dietrich, eliuk and oneil the starting goalies. only baltimore couldn't find one which was they were basement dwellars.

17. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

I would argue we are at almost the exact same level of goaltenders the 3 elite 4 good goalies. Today might even be better no way Sawicki, Oneil, or Locasio would be serviceable in today's NLL.

RockStar likes this.
  18. KHawksWin2011

KHawksWin2011 Member

The clown was on defense eh? No wonder the bandits had 240 goals against LOL

19. chuckster

You should stop embarrassing yourself with your lack of knowledge. It's a good thing the D&C told you to take a hike with your free articles.

RockStar likes this.
  20. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Is KHawksWin2011 the 2018 version of TheBearded? :confused: