Protected-Unprotected List

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by AmericanRockFan, Jul 3, 2018.

1. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

So, now that the list is out, let's discuss it:

Surprises for me include seeing Caputo, Edwards, Hickey, Merrill(?!), and Sorensen made available. Are some of them pending UFAs? Because I'm a little surprised to see players like Hostrawser and Lintner protected over them.

2. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I figure Edwards and Merrill might be UFA.

I might have protected Caputo over Jones or Reinholdt......he's only a mid depth righty, but, he can play both ends of the floor, and, short of taking a flyer on the youth (Craig or Taylor), I figured you might as well just burn down the entire lefty corps after last year.....if someone else wants Jones, let 'em have him. He's a gunner, but, he cannot make lotsa goals happen by himself without a top notch playmaker on the floor with him.......Too many garbage 20' plus shots into a goaltender that was squared up and ready. Too many with lots of time on the shot clock. Too many wide of the goal, or right into the tender's gut or stick.

I might have also protected Hickey instead of either of them. Again, righty, and coming off a disappointing year, but, the guy is a young big body with decent hands, and, he once was a 50 goal scorer.

Otherwise, meh, they did pretty much what I figured they would.

3. AmericanRockFan

I noticed Jesse Gamble was left unprotected as well. I've been told by a media member that Gamble's NLL days are most likely over due to his "real job" so that one didn't surprise me at all, especially if what I've been told is accurate.

I do like Hostrawser, but I would've protected Caputo over him. Lintner is a bit on an enigma for me. He's definitely not a star player, but he's also not exactly the most replaceable player either since he's one of the rare ones that seems to be willing to get gritty on offense.

4. rocklax#1

rocklax#1 Member

is Damon a UFA I cannot find his status. of the list hes the one we can can lest afford to lose

5. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

i think Edwards might have enough age/NLL years to be UFA......i agree that he's the most important player left unprotected.

6. AmericanRockFan

So, Merrill and Edwards had to be UFAs? Otherwise taking Turner Evans over either of those two is a bit cray cray as the cool kids would say.

7. unspoken

unspoken Member

Merrill yes. Edwards no. He reached the age to be a UFA this year, but signed a 3 year deal back in July 2017 which will last through the 2019-2020 season.

8. AmericanRockFan

In that case I'm a little surprised to see San Diego take Evans over Edwards. Don't get me wrong, I'm an Evans fan and wish he was still with the Rock, but considering he's coming off an injury that saw him miss the entire 2018 season I don't know if I would've taken him that highly.

Now of course, Patrick Merrill would know Evans' health situation better than I would. I'm just saying, I think pound-for-pound Edwards is the more valuable player between the two right now.

9. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Maybe Edwards didn't want to make the trips to San Diego. I bet there were a number of players on the expansion draft list who said they wouldn't report there.

10. AmericanRockFan

I'm just happy that neither Philadelphia nor San Diego selected Jamie Dawick's ticket selling cash cow Paul Rabil, so now Rabil can still watch Rock games on NLLTV from the comfort of his couch.

RockStar likes this.