Rabil's Premiere Lacrosse League

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by liveone, Sep 25, 2018.

1. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Well-Known Member

for what it's worth the Big 3 Basketball league is tour based and has no home cities, just teams. They rent arenas and do their games. However that is basketball and this is lacrosse.

2. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Well-Known Member

If NBCSN is so desperate, why doesn't the NLL have a deal??

To whomever said the BIG 3 is a failure, they have numerous games on numerous days of the week and they are packing arenas nationwide. I don't know how that is a failure?

3. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Because they don’t need winter programming they have the nhl
    And the big3 still exists? I yawned when iverson pulled his usual antics and didn’t show up

4. The_Vukster

The_Vukster Active Member

Ha Ha! No...it is not hokey like that. It is a real competition with competitors doing parkour/obstacle course type things. The vast popularity has actually resulted in many "obstacle park" type gyms popping up all over the country. You should check out an episode just so you know what it is.

5. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

2 Things:
    • I only know about Big3 cause I see the ads on Fox Sports 1 when I'm watching UFC content
    • I really wanna watch some retro American Gladiators right now

MILLwasbetter and IAmDroot like this.
  6. AmericanRockFan

I still don't get how TSN hasn't scooped up the NLL as some random content to put on one of their five channels in the winter time. It seems like it'd be better to have variety than to be showing the same thing on TSN1, TSN2, and TSN5 at the same time :confused:

Andrew GEA and MILLwasbetter like this.
  7. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Blink and you miss it. The "season" is only 8 games long. 10 if you include playoffs.

8. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

An old friend once worked for TSN. Her story was the lacrosse didn't draw strong enough advertising dollars in Canada. Lacrosse drew audience numbers similar to bowling, darts and poker. I can't remember her actual stat but let's say 100 000 viewers for the sake of argument. Darts, bowling, etc. drew their viewership coast to coast, meaning advertisers got national exposure. Lacrosse pulled an audience primarily in southern Ontario with a marginal audience in southern Alberta and Vancouver. Advertisers only got regional exposure though the sheer number of eyeballs on screens was similar. Since advertisers prefered national exposure, lacrosse suffered.

That said, with the addition of Halifax, good crowds in Saskatchewan and a potential team in Edmonton it may be worth a second look, assuming labour issues are resolved soon.

9. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

I.would watch the PLL if Jessie Graff and Kacy Cantanzaro played

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    IAmDroot and wacklax like this.
  10. AmericanRockFan

In that case, I can understand their logic. But even then, I just think that having more variety on TSN would've been a plus. As a US resident, I don't get TSN et. al channels, but I'd think they could just charge a little less for tv time during an NLL game than the other events to make the advertisers happy, or target companies with more of an Ontario presence. But hopefully the success in Saskatchewan and potential success in Halifax changes things a bit.

Oh well. Doesn't matter. Had sex.

11. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

The other factor was that darts/etc. draw good numbers for recorded broadcasts that can air weekdays unopposed by major sports. Lacrosse does better numbers when it's live but the league runs games when the NHL, NBA and/or NFL is happening. Needing to be live to draw decent numbers means they're fighting for advertising dollars when much more desirable broadcasts are available.

You're right though. It doesn't matter at this point. More people should be having sex while the NLL's on.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    RockStar and AmericanRockFan like this.
  12. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

I don't get how fans will decide who to root for if team identities aren't location based.

13. Wings-4-Life

Same way they do in golf, tennis, or auto racing?

MILLwasbetter likes this.
  14. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Golf, tennis and auto racing are not the same. It's not a fair comparison.

15. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

What's a successful team sport that doesn't have location-based identities?

16. AmericanRockFan

The Harlem Globetrotters.

RockStar likes this.
  17. Hollywood42

At least this indicates Rabil for sure won’t ever play in the nll again
    Thank you

CrocodileLax likes this.
  18. Wings-4-Life

And what makes you say that?

19. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Really??? I have to spell out for you how golf, tennis and auto racing are not the same sports-wise as lacrosse??? :rolleyes:

For starters, in golf/tennis/auto racing the sport is executed by 1 person whereas in lacrosse, it's a team sport with multiple people on the team influence the outcome. And yes, there is the Ryder Cup and doubles tennis but there isn't singles lacrosse. And if you can't see the other major differences between the sports, that's on you.

20. Hollywood42

I “think” the point is those activities move venue to venue without a set home base
    Which is what this league is doing