Rabil's Premiere Lacrosse League

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by liveone, Sep 25, 2018.

1. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

1st auto racing is not a sport, it is a competition. And also it is a team competition.

2. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I am not saying whether auto racing is a sport or a competition, but I am going to be a Devil's Advocate here and ask "Why is auto racing a competition, but not a sport? What defines a sport? What defines a competition? What is there logical / set-theoretic connection?"

After all, if I buy a Corvette, I'm buying a "sports car" not a "competition car".

3. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

How did I know that Vin would lead us into the "Sport versus Competition" argument? :p

Valid point though. Chess is definitely a competition and not a sport in case anyone wants my two cents on the matter.

4. swami24

Sitting in a sauna, and yanking something to the left, is not a sport. There is little physical skill, all competition is in the tool, the car, not from the competitor, and.it is all mechanical, not physcical

5. AmericanRockFan

I never heard of anyone refer to watering the rocks as a sport or a competition.....

6. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

This.

I'm well ******* aware that they use different equipment in lacrosse than they do in NASCAR.

7. liveone

liveone Member

Can we at least all agree that eSports are neither sports or competitions?

8. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

I don't consider it to be a sport, but it went over very well at the Asian Games this year, so the Olympics are giving it a look.

Not a hard look, but it's still on their radar.

9. AmericanRockFan

eSports are definitely not sports. My rule of thumb is that it has to involve a physical component to be a sport. If it only has a mental component, it’s a competition. I’m open to discussion on the topic though.

10. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Wouldn't moving your thumbs and fingers rapidly on a controller be a "physical component".....and thus, a sport?

RockStar likes this.
  11. AmericanRockFan

o_O

Alright, sports need to be >80% physical component.

12. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Well-Known Member

this is very similar to our electoral college discussion.

13. MILLwasbetter

pick a team that's fun to watch with players you like. root for them. I don't root for the red sox because they play in boston.

14. MILLwasbetter

Baseball is probably the best comparison as I am a very casual fan of the sport. I like seeing new teams win. I don't really care about it, but over the past few world series I was rooting for Houston, Cleveland, The Cubs, The Royals, basically any team that isn't one of the 4 teams that always seem to win. Had the Brewers made it I would have rooted for the them over the sox, but the Sox are the best team in baseball and are fun to watch, so Ill root for them. Point is I don't root for any of them based on their city location.

15. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

Does Rabil have a single photo where hw does not look like a douche

MILLwasbetter and RockStar like this.
  16. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

He’s a lax bro after all

17. Ziel37

Ziel37 New Member

Huge Washington Generals fan back in the day.

18. swami24

Great stuff here, quite amusing

19. Pounder

Pounder Member

Thinking of soccer here... the only thing that ever worked as an actual roadshow is when Brazil's "Champions of Romantic Football" did serious magic on the pitch. The current Brazil can't hold a jock to their forefathers, even with Neymar.

Think Globetrotters, except Brazil didn't need to manufacture a Washington Generals. Plenty of national teams were willing to try to beat them... and sometimes did.

What can you do with lax to make it a roadshow? Unless there's continuous stick-fighting going on off the play (at Bruce Lee levels), I'm not seeing it.

20. swami24

Sure, they could do a road show, but I doubt they could move a floor from high school gym to gym, and they still wouldnt sell out.