Ranking the Easts General Managers

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by Hollywood42, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

5. Steve Dietrich (Buffalo)
    4. Jamie Dawick (Toronto)
    3. John Arlotta (Georgia)
    2. Rich Lisk (New England )
    1. Curt Styres ( Rochester)

5. The verdict is still out on chugger, it always seems to be one foot forward 4 steps back during his tenure, he gave up a significant anount to gain Burque and a 1-2 start giving up 20+ in back to back games isn’t looking all that well

4. I’ve always felt Dawick wears too many hats in Toronto he’s made some questionable trades over the years but they are 1-0 since trading Leblanc

3. Arlotta in Minnesota 5 in Georgia 3 they havnt started the firesale in Gwinnett just yet I’ll wait until July

2. Lisk has the money and ability to do whatever he wants, cutting obrien made him feel the wrath of the fan base but here we sit a month into the season and bill is still a FA and the wolves d has staggered between average and lock down never mind that sask game

1. Curt Styres is a magician the ability he has had to stock pile high draft picks the last few years is amazing. He deserves better as an owner though, You Rochester fans should be embarrased with the lack of support

k-hawksfan33 likes this.
  2. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

If that trade was Benesch for Buque and the 4th rounder, then he would have given up a significant amount. Getting Crawford makes that trade more even. It won't be long before teams start keying on the left side of the Mammoth O.

And Styres deserves much better than he support he's getting at the gate in Rochester. There's no reason for that city not to support that team better. And they will be solid until Vinc retires.

3. KHawkTobey

KHawkTobey Member

Just to throw it out there....

I agree that the attendance in Rochester is not what it should be, but is pretty impressive considering the "coverage" this team gets in the local media.

I wrote a letter to the Editor of our local newspaper (Democrat and Chronicle) concerning the lack of coverage. I received a reply stating that their so-called surveys found that their local readers are interested in (in order): (1) the Buffalo Bills, and (2) local high school scores and highlights. Further, the Editor informed me that the don't have the resources to cover the Knighthawks (or AHL Amerks) so will only run fluff pieces prepared by outside sources. This is kind of understandable, but then where do they get the "resources" to fly two reporters around the country to cover the Bills?

The fact is that Rochester's local teams are given short shrift in our media, and that certainly doesn't help awareness. I'm not making excuses here, but the fact remains that an apathetic media results in an apathetic public.

Go Hawks!

4. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

HS sports stats are one of the few reasons anyone buys a local birdcage liner anymore.....see your kid's name in print!

can the teams not just find a half bright Journalism student intern to write game previews and/or interest stories for Friday and Saturday editions, and a game recap for Sunday, and just feed these to the sports desk as press releases?

I would think they would invest at least the 4 minutes and 38 seconds required to proof it quickly and post it to their online site......

****, I'd do it for two tickets and a beer. Someone who needs experience and portfolio material might do it for less than that!

5. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I agree that the D&C coverage lacks, and that newspapers/media do act as a form of inadvertent form of advertising for the local clubs, but it always fascinates me how attendance in Rochester for most of the teams has just dropped over the past decade. It's not as if the Amerks, Rhinos, Knighthawks, and Red Wings are just some teams that just popped up, they've been staples in the community for 20+ years (the Amerks for 60+, the Wings for somewhere around 100). Of course they need advertising and marketing, but it's not like they should need it to stay relevant in such a small market.

6. RockStar

once upon a time, you could not sit in your underwear, drinking your own modestly priced beer, and watch a zero cost pirate feed of any sport in the world on your Android box running Kodi or some such........

why would i leave the house in this weather to be gouged for parking and concessions for a tier two or tier three event?

discuss......here is an interesting sports editorial.

7. RockStar

i will say that nll tv has largely killed the road trip for me......

8. AmericanRockFan

Ironically, I've seen you at more NLL games in cities other than Toronto since NLLTV became a thing than I did before it became a thing :p

In some cities, I wonder how many people (if any) bought NLLTV to replace their season tickets. $44 CDN ($35 times the exchange rate) for NLLTV, or at least $160 + parking/concessions/whatnot for the cheapest Rock season ticket? Some people might really value that $116+.

9. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

It has been a little almost a year and a half since Dietrich won the GM of the year award (as voted on by his peers). I don't think he forgot how to be a GM in that time.

10. KHawkTobey

KHawkTobey Member

11. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

12. KHawkTobey

KHawkTobey Member

I have no problem supporting and covering the regional NFL team, but not at the expense of the hometown teams. Granted, the NFL is infinitely more popular than the NLL, but reporting in the local paper shouldn't favor the regional team 25 -1.

It is what it is.

13. k-hawksfan33

k-hawksfan33 Well-Known Member

Curt Styres is one of the best GM's in all of professional sports, not just the NLL IMO.

And if you think Knighthawks attendance is bad you should check out the Amerks. They're struggling to get 3K on the weekends. I don't know whats going on in Rochester but the last few years has seen a solid turn around for the city in every aspect except sports. People in Rochester just don't seem to care like they used to. We've definitely lost our sports identity (or more accurately just merged into the Buffalo sports identity). I will say that Hawks diehard fan base has done a solid job of keeping things going over the past few years. The atmosphere might not quite be what it used to be, but it hasn't dropped off nearly as much as Amerks and Rhinos has. And as for the Red Wings, I don't think a single person actually cares about the team's performance. People just go to eat the food and socialize. Its a great business model but makes for a REAL boring game.

14. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Will the rhinos even come back after this one year hiatus lol

15. AmericanRockFan

I'm indifferent. I'd love someone to come and save the legacy of the franchise. On the other hand, I'd like it to just die already so I can have my 1999 memories not be further diluted.

16. AmericanRockFan

Also, I don't get the hate on the D&C covering the Orange and the Bills. A lot of people in Rochester like them more than the Rochester teams so why not cover them?

Having said that though, I do wish the local clubs got more coverage.