Rattlers

Discussion in 'MLL Forum' started by InLaxWeTrust, Jul 26, 2013.

1. InLaxWeTrust

InLaxWeTrust New Member

Their head coach Tim Soudan said yesterday the future of the franchise doesn't look too good in Rochester.

2. mr.crowley

mr.crowley Active Member

I heard from a friend with another team in the league that they would be moving at the end of the year, or ceasing operations all together.

Found it to be just a rumor, until I saw their scheduled away games this year. I would say he was spot on. Coincidentally he no longer works in the MLL.

3. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

never got the nll support....same as the philly barrage

4. thwingfan

thwingfan Active Member

I think what killed MLL here was when the got booted from Frontier Field. The years they played there attendance was really good. Once they moved to the high school (Kearney) they seemed to be forgotten by Rochester sports fans. The new stadium didn't seem to help attendance with the original Rattlers moving to Toronto. Getting the old Chicago Machine didn't seem to help matters and this year's scheduling definitely didn't help as the "crowds" seemed to show.

5. wla-fan

wla-fan New Member

The NLL doesn't exactly do a great job marketing their own league for 12 months of they year, not sure what they could do to support the MLL. They do feature articles about the MLL and NLL players on occasion. Nothing earth shaking, but at least it's something. Serious question though, what should the NLL do better to support the MLL?

6. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

The Rattlers really did become an afterthought once they moved to Bishop Kearney, and even more so once they moved to Toronto/Hamilton. I felt a little buzz when they returned in 2011, but I think they were forgotten about again pretty quickly.

I just wish I had an opportunity to get a game this season before they're gone for good...again.

7. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

maybe our area is getting a second look? considering the MLL championship weekend is at PPL

8. thwingfan

thwingfan Active Member

I think so. PPL is a perfect stadium for outdoor lax.

9. AmericanRockFan

The Philadelphia Rattlers?

10. IHS

IHS Active Member

They were setup to fail this season... The owner had Dad take the team away from him, or at least the financial resources. The scheduling sucked... Home games scheduled elsewhere, and the remaining home games at terrible times (mostly Sundays and an early Sat. Afternoon). No marketing AT ALL. There is a following here, they just need the right ownership group. It might be too late now... :(

11. AmericanRockFan

It's just too bad that Rob Clark wasn't able to overcome, or even to really attempt to overcome, the adversity that he faced with the Rhinos and Rattlers. That said, he got what he had coming.

12. IHS

IHS Active Member

He may have, but the team/players and the fans had nothing to do with it, and got screwed...

13. AmericanRockFan

I totally agree with that. But Clark has no one to blame here but himself. He did not fully commit himself to the Rhinos after the 2008 season nor did he ever really fully commit himself to the Rattlers.

14. rochesterian80

rochesterian80 New Member

A rumor I heard is the Rattlers are obviously being shopped around with no takers yet (as of a few weeks ago). Even if there are no takers, I'd assume they'd just fold the franchise. I honestly don't understand why they even fielded them this season given the complete lack of effort put into it.

I also heard Hamilton is Florida bound. The latter rumor sounded curious, but I don't know how much sway the league itself has versus the local group given the central ownership structure. I suppose the league putting both franchises in Florida wouldn't be shocking given the southern push.

15. AmericanRockFan

And then in 2016, both Florida franchises can either fold or move to Pittsburgh and Providence.

16. rochesterian80

I see the Rattlers hired a local COO. Of course, he may be the one and only employee for all we know right now. But, they appear to have a real weekend evening schedule with no Rhinos conflicts. So, if nothing else, perhaps the MLL won't run their games almost like "closed" games (no promotion, no group sales, bad times, etc), nor do they appear to be shopping the whole home schedule for neutral site games until the last second. Obviously, if the team still doesn't have a local operator, it's probably just a stopgap measure so the scene at the stadium isn't embarrassing this season before the inevitable. Ticket information is still forthcoming, so we'll see how long that takes. If nothing else, it sounds like it'll be a better situation this season than last. (I'm not sure how last season could have been worse given how it was operated.)

17. rochesterian80

I actually got an e-mail blast with their season ticket packages:

http://rochesterrattlers.com/news/9093/ticket-packages-on-sale-now

Two months ahead isn't ideal -- and they're probably starting from scratch given what happened last year -- but it's progress. I see they actually have an office on University Ave too.

(Now, the question is: When will they remove their "pound out prostate cancer" game ad for the July 28, 2012 game? Baby steps!)

18. AmericanRockFan

So do the Rattlers have no affiliation with the Rhinos anymore? That's bizarre that the office isn't at Sahlen's Stadium if they're still affiliated.

19. rochesterian80

No. Until recently, the MLL office in MA was listed as their phone number. Basically, it looks like the MLL hired two employees and rented out a suite on University. I'd love to receive word a local group is involved, but I suspect we would have heard if there was one.

I got word that the Rhinos had no ties with them last season, which was evident from a Knighthawks employee basically running the team from the Knighthawks office. Despite dancing around it, I suspect the Clark family decided to bail on the experiment.

It's mildly encouraging they have better dates this year on actual weekend evenings. Maybe the Rhinos/stadium just really wants the tenant (without the financial liability of running the team) and gave them a good deal. Still wouldn't be surprised if they're being shopped for 2015 in other markets as they were this past off-season. But, if nothing else, they're trying to sell tickets, get groups, etc, so it won't be such a bad situation this year.

20. InLaxWeTrust

InLaxWeTrust New Member

They have a PR rep this year, which they did not last year; last season media had to go through the league to get any info/interviews with the Rattlers, so now having someone established for that is a great sign.