Rattlers

Discussion in 'MLL Forum' started by InLaxWeTrust, Jul 26, 2013.

1. rochesterian80

rochesterian80 New Member

Well, I found this interesting:

https://secure.jotformpro.com/Rattlerslax/Rattlersfanappreciation

In particular, early bird season ticket specials for next year. Obviously, there has been somewhat of a spike in interest -- compared to last year anyway (and obviously they are still very, very lean, although trying to some degree this year). Still modest (just ahead of Florida!), although they are honest figures which isn't the case everywhere. Maybe rumors of a local owner getting involved next year aren't just a pipe dream....

2. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

mm who in the mll is not reporting real numbers? florida looks like 1,000 on tln. but ny still looks less than 4,000

3. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

most dominating since the barrage - what a team soudo assembled.

4. rochesterian80

Attended their playoff game at Aquinas yesterday, and kudos to their two-person front office for pulling off the move. One of their two employees sold me my ticket at the "box office" (which consisted of him) and mentioned it was quite an undertaking for the two of them. The folks at Aquinas did a nice job with hosting and staffing the facility, including their boosters who had a good assortment of food for sale. It's too bad it was rainy and cool, but what can you do? And, who knows what the future will bring, but at least the two of them were able to put together a good experience for a small but growing number of fans this season -- after a completely lameduck season last year with neutral site games and one employee that the Knighthawks loaned them. The fact they had some raffles for 2015 season tickets as part of ticket promos provides hope, but who knows if it's wishful thinking or not. Some credit has to be given to the MLL for not moving the game to Ohio since the Rattlers are league-run and had a perfect excuse, although the fact Denver had to also play at a small secondary site mitigated the excuse a bit.

And, of course, congrats to Soudan and the players for winning the regular season and getting to the finals. Picked by many to finish in the basement this season, it's an incredible feat. No doubt, their winning got the team more bodies in the seats and a bit more media coverage. Given that the 2008 Rattlers who won the title left town the year after, perhaps a win won't be such a good omen. Unless there's a local ownership group with interest or they can't find an interested group elsewhere, I won't hold my breath. But, regardless, this season was far more memorable than anyone would have predicted.

5. rochesterian80

6. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

great team built around talent, guts and share the ball mentality. so much good on this team what is there not to like.

7. rochesterian80

I think I'm happy for Tim Soudan more than anyone. If the Rattlers left for some distant locale, this team would have likely been torn apart. He's done an amazing job. Heck, they even won the sportsmanship award. A likable group.

8. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I'm a bit perplexed by the Rattlers moving to SUNY Brockport, but as a Brockport alum I sort of like it.

I really wish I knew just what the hell was going on with the Rhinos, Rattlers, and Rob Clark cause it seems to me like the two teams aren't one entity anymore, and that Rob Clark has fallen off the face of the earth.

9. silvanthalas

silvanthalas Active Member

The MLL is now officially in competition with the NLL to find the weirdest places to play games?

10. rochesterian80

The Rattlers have been "owned" by an individual from New Balance. Here is the story from a 2014 D&C article:

Since winning the 2008 MLL championship, the Rattlers have gone through tremendous upheaval. The team was disbanded following that season, was re-born in 2011 and operated by Rhinos owner Rob Clark, but never really recovered from the two years of inactivity. Clark relinquished operational control after 2012, the league took over the running of the franchise, and it was clear it was trying to find a new home.

I heard from a Rhinos fan who tends to be well connected that he heard they just couldn't come to terms at Sahlen's Stadium and it was getting too close to the season. Obviously, if the team can't manage to secure a venue that usually has ample dates, it's hard to be optimistic that this won't be the swan song season. (Again.) But, who knows, maybe this non-central venue will somehow work out. They better get some local lax programs out that way very involved.

11. rochesterian80

12. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

wth is brockport?

13. rochesterian80

A village of 8,400 about 20 miles west of Rochester. There is a SUNY college in the town too. It's not a bad little college town. Probably some good places for postgame get togethers too. However, it's a less than optimal location for the team. The eastern towns have traditionally been stronger lacrosse towns, although the western towns are seeing growth with lacrosse. The Rattlers also have some fans that travel from Syracuse (former SU players) who will now have a longer trek.

It seemed like the Rattlers had a little momentum at the gate at the end of last year. I hope this doesn't kill that momentum, but I suspect it will.