Re: The strike... let your teams head office know your intentions.

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by JareCanada, Dec 8, 2003.

1. JareCanada

JareCanada New Member

Hello all:

The reason you haven't heard alot about the strike is because the owners don't want you too. Being a new league with new fans, some people won't know they are seeing replacement players.

First we need to get the word out, let people know what's going on. Go on sports network message boards and let people know there is a strike going on and potentially you won't be seeing the real players playing.

Second and more importantly. I think that we the fans could have an impact on whether this strike goes into the season.

Call or email the head office of your team and let them know your intentions if there is a strike. Whatever they may be.

If the owners start hearing that people are going to cancel or are cancelling their season tickets if "replacement players" take the field. They will quickly see alot of money slipping out of their fingers.

On the other hand if alot of you call or email saying your not cancelling your tickets, intend to go to the games or stay silent and don't do anything..well the owners will let the strike go on.

We the fans in essence can play a major role in the negotiations, and not sit idly by waiting for a result.

For the love of Lacrosse and respect for those who play it. Let's speak up and force them to get the deal done.

Jare

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2003
  2. thwingfan

thwingfan Active Member

Well said. I will NOT watch replacements play. I've already paid for my tickets but would be looking for a refund if replacement games are played.

3. JareCanada

JareCanada New Member

Cool

Thanks thwingfan.

I think we, the fans/paying customers, can really impact the situation here.

4. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

i have emailed my intentions prior to this thread being posted.

5. goddessoflax

goddessoflax Active Member

I certainly agree that we, the fans, should let the teams know how we feel about the whole situation. And we have, to this point, really only heard their version of the talks...or lack thereof.

The other ones who need our feedback is the PLPA. Except for their initial release of the owner's offer, there has been very little information from them. And, although they are under no obligation to us, my feeling is that we have a stake in this process as well.

We, the fans, have the right to be heard by all the parties involved but I caution anyone who feels the need to make themselves heard...make sure you have all sides of the story before you make judgements. Letting teams know that replacement players are not acceptable is reasonable. And reminding the PLPA that they represent, not just the players, but the game as well is also reasonable.

Just remember that, even the written word has tone of voice. Care in the choice of language is essential. State your point clearly but be careful about "pointing fingers".

6. laxchick

laxchick New Member

Jare

Again well said. I have repeated over and over that the fans need to be involved with their respective organizations. While the players have their talent on their side, it is the fan base that spends the money to go to the games and the owners need to know how insulting it is for them to think they can get away with threatening to throw scrubs in and we'll be satisfied.

Lacrosse has some of the most dedicated fans I've ever seen in my life who promote the sport way more than any of these front offices. Maybe if the front offices were doing their jobs and promoting the hell out of this sport then maybe there wouldn't be so much instability with teams folding, moving, suspending operations, etc.

I know everyone is very disappointed and a little nervous about the strike but if the front offices are going to take anything seriously it's the threat of losing season ticket money. It's the serious fan that spends the serious money and it's $$$$ that the owners understand.

To be repetive, only b/c I know the effect it most likely will have, call your front offices, write e-mails, letters - anything to get your voices heard. If the other cities are anything like Rochester then I know what an impact you could have. There's no need to be offensive just tell them that you are not going to tolerate replacement players or any other option unless it's your favorite players out there ripping up the floor. I know everyone is tense with the opening night drawing closer and closer so put that tension to use and make your voices heard!

7. AP

AP New Member

hee hee

I'm looknig forward to watching 10,000 people turn out at a Brampton Excelsiors game next year, since apparently the only thing that matters is the quality of the players.

Not taking a side here, at all. I'm just amused that anyone even pretends the only reason they go to a game is to see the best players in the world.

8. goddessoflax

goddessoflax Active Member

But Mr. stykboy...
    ...where the #$@*!! are the Excelsiors going to put all those fans? Better not be in my seat!

And, as always, you have hit the nail on the head, so to speak. People go to see games because they enjoy the game on the floor but that is not the only reason!

9. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Re: hee hee

It may not be the ONLY reason for many fans, it's the PRIMARY reason why I go and I bet it's why many others do IMO.

Would you pay all the money you do to see a bad quality product -- players missing passes, bad goaltending, shots going wide all the time, bad defense, and just general overall sloppiness? I wouldn't stand for it, and I'm willing to bet even die-hard fans wouldn't stand for a bad product EVEN IF it's lacrosse.

I would rather see the game played to the best it can be and the only way that will happen is with the best players. An agreement needs to get done out of respect for the sport and its fans. If indoor lacrosse has ANY chance of succeding at a professional level across all of the US and Canada, a CBA deal needs to get done this year.

I'm not taking a side here either -- both sides need to give a little to get what they want. And only some give and take by BOTH sides sitting face to face at the bargaining table without all the BS will make that happen.

But I can say that the media is NOT the place to negotiate.

10. khawksguy12

khawksguy12 New Member

When did the NLL say they were using replacement players?

11. laxchick

laxchick New Member

There's been some talk in some cities. Who knows if it's just the owners just trying to be hard a$$es or if they think they could really pull it off.

12. JareCanada

JareCanada New Member

Jennings

Apparently Jennings said the season would go ahead with or without the PLPA players on the floor.

Feel free to correct my if I'm not totally right here.

13. thwingfan

thwingfan Active Member

Jim Jennings has been quoted as saying the season will go on regardless of the strike. That pretty much means plans are underway to bring in replacements for striking players.

14. JareCanada

JareCanada New Member

I'll be writing my letter to Mr. J. today

I have spoken to the Rock head office. I will be writing my email to Brad Watters and Jim Jennings today.

Spread the word folks.

15. laxchick

laxchick New Member

And where might one find those e-mail addresses?

16. john

john New Member

17. JareCanada

JareCanada New Member

Excellent John

Thanks John:

I was going to do that but work has gotten very busy.

If anyone has the direct email addy's of the Watters, Jennings or any of the teams President, partners, investors etc feel free to post it.

We need to let all involved with the business parts of their teams they could loose money if a mutually equitable agreement is not struck.

18. Meathead25

Meathead25 New Member

Brad Watter's address should be on the site...I can't remember it off the top of my head, but I think it's firstnamelastname@torontorock.com for everyone that works there...

19. torrrock

torrrock New Member

That's why I go. That and, um ... sorry, can't think of any other reason I go to the games :confused:

20. lax26fan

lax26fan New Member

Yes let the people who work in the team's offices..

Blaine Manning- Toronto
    kaleb Toth and Tracey Kelusky-Calgary
    Jim Moss-S.J.
    Cam sedgwick-Vancouver

????

lax26fan