Request for CLA Forum and Forum Group Reorganization

Discussion in 'ILIndoor Forum' started by Vin, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Just as a case in point to illustrate the need:
    1. I was just researching who won the 2017 Mann Cup. Generally speaking, if I was to post a new Mann Cup thread, in what forum would I post? "BCLA Forum" or "OLA Forum"? The Mann Cup is the CLA Senior A Championship, so it straddles those two forums.
    2. I noticed that the NW Salmonbellies Wikipedia sight is woefully out-of-date and likely so are some other WLA and MSL websites. If I wanted to post a thread requesting help updating, do I initiate one thread in BCLA forum and one in OLA forum?
    3. What about all the other leagues that fall under CLA jurisdiction? For instance, RMLL. Sure, "Other Lacrosse" is acceptable, but threads related to RMLL or RMLL in relationship with other CLA entities could get lost in the cacophony of other "Other Lacrosse" threads.
    Basically, I'd like to see the following:
    1. Create a Canadian Lacrosse Association forum group.
    2. Within that group, create a CLA Forum.
    3. Remove the existing BCLA Forum and OLA Forum from within that "Non-NLL Lacrosse" forum group and move those two forums into the new Canadian Lacrosse Association forum group.
    4. Rename "Non-NLL Lacrosse" forum group to "Other Lacrosse".

2. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

You might be the only one who gives a **** about this lol

3. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

we have, like, 20 active posters......if there was just one forum, we'd get by somehow.

as for whether a Mann or Minto post goes in BC or Ontario, why not just pick one and crosse-post a link in the other.

that way, all six of us who sorta care can find it.

4. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

The New Westminster thread goes in the BCLA forum because they're BC based.

5. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I know and, believe me, this has been gnawing at me for over a decade, but yesterday was a tipping point of sorts. I had disorder and inconsistency and poor planning without foresight. Yesterday, I was going through CLA Wikipedia sites and these need updating badly. I want to say "Can someone with knowledge please fix these?!", yet where should I post? It's not a big deal, but annoying.

6. agreed, however make that 21 active posters ;)....

i joined this forum a few months ago after reading some really intelligent (compared to facebook comments) dialogue and debate on lacrosse news.

i thought it would be busier and more posts (although the NLL is known for slow news)

Attached Files:

7. AmericanRockFan

This board was way better back before the short-lived lockout of 2007/08 and before the board was sold to IL.

I feel like 2017 has been one of the better years in recent memory, although that might be my own bias because I followed the NLL as a whole more in 2017 than I have in several years, so I was able to have a better understanding and be more knowledgeable of the dialogue going on here, so I could contribute better.

8. Dave S-C

Dave S-C Active Member

Problem with Wikipedia is any person knowledgeable or ignorant can post there. I "maintain" the page for the Canadian Lacrosse Hall of Fame and periodically have to go and clean up erroneous or inaccurate edits others have made - such as adding people who actually are not inducted into the CLHOF.

As for the Salmonbellies Wikipedia page, I cleaned up and created/rebuilt the yearly final-standings grids but haven't updated it since 2011.

Vin likes this.
  9. Wikipedia is one of those beasts that you have to keep chopping at to weed out the morons who vandalize the pages. I used to be a very active editor there (though not in the lacrosse area as much) and found it annoying after awhile to have an article you worked hard on blown apart. With the three reverts constituting an edit war on there, you can get banned for reverting the same vandalism three times. There are methods to fix it and all, but the internal workings of Wikipedia are much like elected officials, they have tons on their plate and seem to spend little time at it. I do try and keep the Rush roster up to date on there and when players are traded to/from the Rush, I make the small edits to their pages (assuming they have one) to reflect their new team. I was very active at one time with the Hockey Project and spent a lot of time both contributing to the discussions in that project relating to issues, but also making edits to pages.

The thing the normal Wikipedia reader does not realize is there is a whole "other" area of Wikipedia. It is like the hidden web to a degree. There is a labyrinth of projects and tribunals and other things that work behind the scenes to make everything on the surface work as well as can be. I have been involved in some highly territorial and insane debates with regards to certain pages. The Baseball Project tends to be the most rigid about their rules and to keep the page named the Montreal Expos and not renamed History of the Washington Nationals, the Canada Project had to intervene and prove that the page had importance to their project remaining at Montreal Expos. There is a lacrosse project on there, I do not believe that there is much action in it compared to the four major North American sports and the soccer project.

The Hockey Project has always had a bit of an underlying rule that might apply here Vin, if you see something that needs to be edited, edit it. Editing on Wikipedia is fairly simple, I have no idea how to create webpages in HTML or Java or anything, but it is very simple to edit/create a page. So if it simply adding in stats to a table, you simply need to find them and add them with a reference for each season. I understand that the meat of an article might mean having deeper knowledge of the subject. But Wikipedia is a collaborative project, so if you were to start a page for a certain NLL player, the easiest way to get a bare bones article is to click edit on an existing player's article and change it to suit your subject. Sometimes pages can grow organically that way and sometimes they will stay basically as you created them. They call short articles stubs and as long as you can properly source your work and don't add biases into the page (i.e. Aaron Bold is the best goaltender in the NLL without a reference to a particular page where someone has asserted this) you are golden. There are bots on there that do a little of the heavy lifting, like adding categories or fixing redirected links etc.

Despite the political stuff and the vandalism, pick a redlinked player and give it a shot. I have a couple pages I need to create unrelated to lacrosse and I may try this winter to flush out pages for every player on the Rush. I have some other more pressing volunteerish work in the sports world to get on top of first before I tackle that. But I do encourage you if you have the time and interest to give it a shot at creating an article. If you do decide to go ahead and do so and want me to take a look at it, PM me and I can look it over to ensure you are on the right track. I have made apparently 16,500+ edits to articles on there according to my user account stats.

10. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I got disillusioned with Wikipedia several years ago when some kid (a teen, I believe) from Norway who had sufficient Wikipedia power undid my work claiming that I, a 40+ year-old native-born, English-as-first-language American, violated US copyright law which I understand.

It then occurred to me after that experience and several others that when one of those people is being uptight about Wikipedia, it's like being a beautician applying make-up to a 90-year old prostitute.

So, when Jimmy Wales goes on his Whine-A-Thon that "If everyone only gave $3, then ...", I think "Go fück yourself."

That said, Wikipedia is usually the first place one goes for information, so, despite the hall monitors, we try and do our part.

Speaking of which "Sports in Atlanta" should be updated to incorporate the Georgia Swarm.

Back to the idea of Wikipedia for a moment, there should be a licensed version of an on-line encyclopedia in which only someone willing put up the money and be vetted in someway can become an editor.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  11. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

the last teenage moderator that censured me is effing lucky he was nowhere I could reach him!

I have never bothered to contribute to wiki, but, i can just imagine the kind of people that feel ownership over a semi-obscure body of knowlege.....I would not have the patience to deal civilly.

12. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

the last teenage moderator that censured me is effing lucky he was nowhere I could reach him!

I have never bothered to contribute to wiki, but, i can just imagine the kind of people that feel ownership over a semi-obscure body of knowlege.....I would not have the patience to deal civilly.

13. AmericanRockFan

I used to update Wikipedia periodically so I could feel important, but I haven't bothered to do that in years after people would constantly erase my work after I updated some UFC championship title lineages a few years back.

14. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I have actually done a considerable amount of Wikipedia editing. For instance, much of the Albany Attack's entry is my original text.
    Certainly, the section for 2002 is pretty much all me. I did all of the images.

I am not sure, but I may have created John Tavares's Wikipedia page in 2006 although I am sure the text has changed considerably since then. I know that I wanted to get the 04 MAR 2006 home game loss against Minnesota in because that was game in which JT broke the career points record, so I wrote the original text for that event. Despite the loss, the moment JT broke the record, it was magical at HSBC Arena, so I wanted to capture that. I thought I wrote more than what is there now, so I assume some asshole from Norway trimmed it down. EDIT: Yeah, I did create JT's page just before that game. It was then, I think I posted here, that we should be more pro-active on establishing NLL-related Wikipedia articles.

I have to admit that, if I had more free time - as in "am retired" - I would devote a significant fraction of my free time on NLL-related causes such as updating Wikipedia and working on my spreadsheet which I have not had a good one since 2003 despite yearly attempts at doing one.

I have thought about a Wikia for the NLL although I'd need to understand the establishment and control mechanisms for that. Someone should make an NLL Wikia even if that is just the league itself.