Rock Preseason Thread

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by RockStar, Nov 11, 2017.

1. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Finally, The Rock has come back to Toronto!

I guess we can just about shitcan the off season thread and start a more interesting one because, NLL has started actually having games.

Here's a little nugget from tonight:

http://torontorock.com/rock-stop-rush-13-11-in-pre-season-action/

2. RockStar

Generally only positive takeaways, considering they played their third goalie for half the game, and a very youthful roster for the whole game (no Leblanc or Jones, no Merrill, Edwards, Hostrawser, or Gilbert).

I was a bit upset at MacDonald for what looked like sloppy turnovers early, but, then the guy banged in a couple of sweet goals at important junctures of the game.....In the second half he looked so awesome, he even got credit for one that I think was actually McArdle's :p.

Harris was an absolute treat to watch. Serious physical presence and poise like very few second year D. Puts balls on the ground, gets the balls, and makes plays. Nothing off a few breakaway chances, but, a sweet goal on one shift where he stayed out for 5v5 attack and got zero respect from the Rush D.......oops!

Also, welcome back, Hellyer, it's much happier in Rockland when you're healthy!!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  3. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I'm thrilled to see what an offense of Hellyer and Schreiber can do this year, as long as they remember there's only one ball to go around :cool:

Here's hoping that Latrell Harris doesn't suffer a sophomore jinx of some kind in 2018.

I'm probably the minority, but I kinda wish there was some sort of bootleg feed on NLLTV for preseason games since I'm not going to make the 2 1/2 hour drive to Oakville just for that.

4. RockStar

They were broadcasting on the local cable access channel in previous years.

If they are still doing so, you need to find someone in Cogeco's territory who can access the online version of this, and, re-cast it to youtube or some such.

No idea why they and the league couldn't effect a simple setup for NLL TV......they have a nice camera perch on the second level somewhere resembling centre floor, so, a one-cam setup with a decent cameraman, two talking heads, and an engineer could be more watchable than 89% of the dreck that ends up on NLL TV anyway.

5. AmericanRockFan

They don't even need announcers for the preseason feeds, just set up a camera, maybe even just a stationary one near the center line that doesn't even need to be moved. I'd just like the option to check out some pre-season action but it's not a big deal.

I remember when you didn't even know who won a regular season game in this league until the following Monday, so I'm not gonna whine that much about not being able to see pre-season action ;)

6. RockStar

Hellyer is the one playmaker out of that group who makes everyone on the floor a bit more dangerous

-with past performance and how he looked on Saturday you can imagine him being a 20 to 30 goal per year guy and a 50 to 60 assist per year guy, so, he will command the respect of one of the better lefty D men.

-With this, Schreiber or Hickey now gets to attack a lesser lefty D-man on many of the strong right shifts, and, you have to figure this helps them either beat or overpower their guy enough to get their hands free.

-Hellyer is better at feeding the ball cross floor than any righty last year, and, there, you now have Jones that commands more respect than any lefty they had last year.

I am excited to see how this works. Hoping Jones plays next game.

Just wondering what you do to replace what Beirnes brought. Hickey is a big strong body that could maybe do it, and, with Schreiber maybe even more natural at the righty shooter position, this might be the best setup.

7. AmericanRockFan

It might also be a way to get Hickey to stop taking shots from Mississauga all the time....

8. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

I wonder if anyone's compared the number of goals scored from "Mississauga" to the number of times it resulted in a harmless miss (i.e. the Rock scooped the loosie) to the number of times it led to a turnover.

I suspect it most often results in the other team getting the ball but not necessarily scoring. Without having done the math I might be eating my words in the near future.

9. AmericanRockFan

To be honest, I only tolerate Hickey's shot selection since the guy does find a way to score 50 goals a year. But I do wish there was some sort of plus/minus stat to illustrate how much those long range shots help the team in the long run.

10. RockStar

Ill thought missed shots can cost. I felt Hickey settled for too many longer range shots often a bit too early in the shot clock, but, I don't think he is up there in Paul Rabil territory for stupid high and wide howitzer blasts ending up in a transition stick and ultimately in the back of the wrong net.

I don't know if Hickey has the instincts for being a crash and bang dirty work creaseman like Beirnes, but, he's a big strong body with good hands, so I'd love to see this tried.

In fact, when he was paired with Hellyer and Crowley in 2015, I think he did more of this stuff while those two worked their magic higher up in the zone.

Edit:
    So, Hickey had .188 shooting percentage each of the last two years.

The .188 is actually decent for a guy that gets lots of touches and takes lots of shots.

It is, in fact, better than Schreiber's .149. Go figure......my feeling before looking these numbers up was that Schreiber would have better accuracy stats!

What was downright amazing was Hickey's .260 shooting percentage in 2015.........only season that he and Hellyer did almost a full year together. Maybe due to better feeds, maybe due to more shots in close.......whatever.....Hoping this magic is recaptured. :)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  11. AmericanRockFan

Looking at tickets available for the home opener. It looks like ticket prices stayed the same from last year. Hopefully they can get a pretty good home opener crowd and break 10,000, but I'm not overly optimistic about that based on what I see a month in advance.

12. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

It always looks bleak a month in advance of the home opener. They will get a decent crowd, no worries

13. AmericanRockFan

I think I'm more just a little disappointed to see they don't have a better season ticket holder base than anything.

14. AmericanRockFan

Brett Hickey was just named the 26th best player in the NLL on ILindoor.

So suck it, haters.

RockStar likes this.
  15. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

I'm far from a Hickey hater though I confess I curse his name a few times every game. I'm less concerned by his long bombs than I am about when he takes them -- he'll whip outside shots with 15-20 seconds left on the shot clock which drives me berserk. But as others have noted, many of those shots result in a goal and I don't believe his misses result in a statistically significant number of goals for the opposition. I don't have hard numbers to support that gut feeling but I'm struggling to recall multiple instances I recall an opposition breakaway after his misses. A few, yes, but not enough to worry about. If he learns to manage the shot clock, I'll have zero complaints about his play.

Curious to see how he fares with Hellyer back full time and Jones in the lineup.

16. RockStar

Barn burner tonight, 15-15 tie, no OT in preseason.

Jones played, and looked very comfortable. Good shooting, and a couple of sick feeds....you go with him, Leblanc, and two of McArdle, Reinholdt, and Evans, and, this will be a happier lefty season than last.

Rock shooting was overall very efficient with 15 on about 50, but, this was skewed a bit by a ridiculous first half, see below. Offence sputtered a bit in the second half, but, scored enough to lead most of the game.

It was sloppy as hell though. Lots of odd man rushes, blown coverage on D, and, shaky goaltending. I think Colorado had the higher shot count at about 55. The worst of the sloppiness was in the first half----10-9 score at the break, Rock with about 24 shots, Colorado with about 30.

Rock led 15-13 with about 3 to go, but, sloppy ways continued into the dying minutes, and, Colorado ended up scoring quickly to stop Toronto from closing it out.

Magnuson took a lot of draws, I don't think Kri played the whole game. Lots of roster shenanigans mid game, I think.

No stats line posted that I can find.

17. RockStar

Hoping that next week has most of the week 1 starters out on D so we can get a semi-serious look at how good this team might actually be. Lots of youngsters again this week.

18. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

I took note of who scored but nothing else.

Toronto: Jones (4), Leblanc (3), McArdle (2), Hickey (2), Hellyer, Schreiber, Lintner, Brandon Slade.
    Colorado: Wardle (3), Keogh (3), Ryan Lee (2), Benesch, Brody Eastwood, Ruest, Noble, McLaughlin, Quinn McKay, Bal.

19. RockStar

I didn't see Schreiber did get one......although I had to leave my seat for a bit early in the game, and missed 2, 3 and 4. He seemed to be fighting it for most of the night.

But, still, lefty forwards with 9, mostly from settled attack sets. After last year, I will take it!!

Highlight for me was Slade's coast-to-coast with a lovely move to undress the goalie, and dunk it. Other than that, the transition really wasn't working.

20. AmericanRockFan

My haters comment was more tongue in cheek than anything else.

Anyhow, it's nice to see Jones and Leblanc light up the scoresheet on Saturday night. Too bad since the games aren't online or anything, I can't comment on much else since I didn't get to see any live action.