1. Our Privacy Policy and User Agreement have changed. By using or registering on any portion of this site, you agree to our updated User Agreement and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement.
    Dismiss Notice

Rose for 1st rounder? come on

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by Wingnut1924, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Wingnut1924

Wingnut1924 New Member

3rd stringer for a 1st rnd pick???would like to know the thinking behind this. #1. we drafted Nick in '08 wasn't good enough to keep then and when looking for a goalie this season we coulda him for nuttin. now we give up a pick for ANOTHER back up goalie. Honestly what is the thinking. Releasing Roik instead of Patty. No offense to Patty, great teammate, intagibles, etc etc however, Roik would be a better back up.

Now in saying all this. I"m hoping and praying Terry has something up his sleeve before tomorrows deadline. Hopefully a couple D men taller then my garden gnomes

2. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Let's qualify this:

Arguably The second worst general manager and coach duo in NLL history drafted Rose in '08 and then cut him after the first week of camp. (after letting a better goalie walk for nothing in the off season).

You can debate whether Rose was good enough to draft with a high second pick.

I say we still had Watson, weren't winning anything with any backup goalie, and other needs were higher......but one of the best goalies in a draft class is usually a fair use for a second round pick.

What we'll never know is whether Rose did not actually play well enough to earn a spot, whether he was just a victim of management who were clearly unable to evaluate talent and team needs properly, or whether he said something to the coaching staff when he realized that things were not run as well as they are in Orangeville.

As for the trade: Overpay, but not drastic overpay. Sucks not to have a first rounder when there's need for some depth, but maybe they can acquire what they need in the FA pool.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012
  3. MCO Titans

MCO Titans Banned

Toronto doesn't need first round picks, all the top quality players from the area flock to the Rock as soon as they can.

Not sure I would have cut Roik, but Rose looked good in the limited action he saw in Boston the past few years. He is probably better than Goodleaf or Patterson but not so sure he was worth a first rounder. Toronto can get away with it, but just about any other team would be suffering if they shelled out the same price for him.

It wasn't Roik's fault that Toronto is on a losing streak. The Rock defense that has been so strong the past few years is not showing up. Rose is not going to help them out any more than Roik did.

4. Busterknoxville

Busterknoxville New Member

I have a feeling this move was less about improving the goalie situation...and more about just plain ol' getting rid of the guy

I have no insider info to back up my suspiscion...it just reeks of cut'n'run

5. laxhawker

laxhawker New Member

So if they are 2nd do we agreee the dumbest would be Ol' Govy in Colorado, he cuts Levis outright, he goes and signs with Calgary. Mammoth lose a sh*tload of games get their tenders hurt then Govy goes and give Calgary a 2md rounder for the guy they cut...brilliant.

6. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

That has to be close because if you are not getting rid of Roik why not keep him and cut Patty who Roik is clearly better than.

Would not be surprised to see Roik land in Rochester as the back up him and Vinc get along well.

7. Laxwizz

Laxwizz Active Member

I have a feeling this move was to set up another deal, not necessarily tomorrow but maybe the first step in reuniting the Blazers' goalie tandem next season.
    Cosmo will be UFA next year unless Buffalo franchises him.

8. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

With two draft pick invested you have to think Buffalo will. But an off-season trade for half price or a player seems likely. Darris will work with players to get where they want to be if they are upfront and do not hold out. I am thinking of a trade like the one that sent P Sanderson and McCready to the Rock. Less than full value but not no value.

9. AP

AP New Member

They cut Roik because, as you can see in Buffalo, bringing in a new starter and keeping the old one is a really stupid idea.

10. Bandits37

Bandits37 Member

How was it as stupid idea? It lit a fire under Thompson, who pretty much all Bandits fans trust as the starter anyway, and got him playin good again while giving us a bargaining chip for today. Right now it just looks to obvious that Buffalo is gonna try to ship Cosmo to Toronto for something

11. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

So, that 2014 1st round pick was traded to Philadelphia/New England, and was used on Mark Cockerton, who seems to be a good MLL player but not that great of an NLL player.

So...Rock win the trade!

9SQUIRE3 and RockStar like this.