Rose sucks the big skin bananna

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by rocklax#1, Feb 28, 2014.

1. The Wack

The Wack Member

I think hiring Matt Sawyer as a Head Coach was a great move. He coached Rose in JR and knows how to have Rose and the defense succeed. This year he has the Rock defense playing unbelievable as well Rose is having the best season he has ever had and I think they both go together. As Rose is a great angles goalie not a decent one but if you get him moving side to side that where he and a lot of goalie have problems. Sawyer and Bruce Codd have came up with a great defensive strategy and it showing up on the floor. They have a system in place to keep shooter to the outside almost like Rochestor had when they won their 3 championships in a row.

2. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

they had Sawyer all last year as well, no?

this year's system is good, and Rose is backstopping it well.

Reminds me of the system Brampton had in front of Cosmo when they won three times in four years a while back......teams end up taking lots of shitty, low percentage shots because that's all that's available most series

the system is only half of it tho....there is a faster/tougher/healthier defense this year and Rose is another year more experienced as a Major and Pro starter.

(and, im also thinking that Rose has been a bit better at making the reaction saves than in the past few years......been a couple beauties every game.)

if I had a criticism of the D it would be that I feel like they're giving up too many second and third possessions. Need a few more d zone looseballs a game to beat the top teams regularly.

3. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I was noticing at the past couple of games that it seems like, with the exception of Brodie Merrill, that the Rock lack guys who can scoop up loose balls rather quickly. This was particularly evident in Rochester on Saturday night.

I also think that Rose is using his agility or athleticism more this year too instead of relying mainly on just standing in the right spot to make the save. He seems to have made more highlight reel saves this year than he did last year.

RockStar likes this.
  4. 30seconds

30seconds Member

Appropriate to bring this back?

I know it's hard to win with only 8 goals scored and not scoring an entire quarter but man he didn't even move for at least five of those goals..

Coach needs to see when he is having an off night and switch to Miller.

5. New Fan

New Fan Member

Yikes, out scored 10-2 in the second half in your own building. A Toronto win would have been big. Instead the East gets interesting.

6. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

I wouldn't put it on Rose. Buffalo finally played some good defense and got on a roll while Cosmo played very well. Buffalo played well obviously in the second half, and was fortunate to come back from being down 6-1.

7. 30seconds

30seconds Member

It's not completely on rose but he sure didn't help the team get back into it. The game is about momentum and he barely moved on some shots.

8. Vin

Vin Active Member

I was very surprised last night. BUF does have a very good O - 3rd best in the league - but I was expecting TOR's #1 to be better. Then again, TOR is still likely safe for a playoff spot (although no guarantees - especially after last night), while BUF is hungry and may need to win-out just to stay alive. Shanny was right: the season for both of these teams may come down to the final game of the regular season, TOR@BUF.

9. Vin

Vin Active Member

Yeah, really!

10. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

I dont figure its on rose at all...... Until the end of the second quarter, he had given up about 3 on 22.

he got burned when Steenhuis caught the d flat footed, when they took stupid early-clock shots and were stung in transition, when the d men picked up the wrong guys on transition.....and, when they came across the top and sniped far corner from around a screen.

on a better night he makes a couple more saves, but, the Rock still get shamed

11. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

i will watch the game on nlltv for a feel of it. i do think buffalo plays better with blaze on the floor. he brings a spark, the kid can score timely goals, a throwback to the likes of yesteryear.

12. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

rose is also not the guy that can be held liable for -1 on a two minute 5v3!

13. wacklax

wacklax Member

When I went out for dinner it was 6-2 rock. Stunned would describe me when I checked the score when we got home.

14. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I do wonder if there is something to Brandon Miller's return to backup duty that has rattled Nick Rose. Now, I'm not saying that Miller's return is the reason, I'm just aware that I wonder if it has had an impact on Rose's mentality because I have heard goalies in other sports say that they do play better knowing that they're the clear cut number one goalie for the club and don't have to worry about their backup taking their job. Plus workplace psychology is an interest of mine and something I've made a career of, so the topic interests me.

Let's take a look at the stats:

Before Brandon Miller's Return on February 25:

Nick Rose had a 5-2 record, a 81.5% save percentage (269 saves on 330 shots), and a 8.70 GAA.
    Those games came against Rochester three times, Saskatchewan, Buffalo, Calgary, and Georgia.

After Brandon Miller's Return on February 25:
    Nick Rose has a 3-5 record, 75.7% save percentage (311 saves on 411 shots), and a 11.53 GAA.
    Those games came against Buffalo twice, New England twice, Calgary, Colorado, and Vancouver twice.

Of note, the team is conceding an average of 47 shots against both before Miller's return and after Miller's return so it's not as if the defense is giving up more shots.

If Miller isn't in Rose's head (and the only person who really knows the answer to this question is Rose himself), then maybe it's that the club played a more favorable schedule in the first 7 games of the year than they have in the past 9.

So in conclusion, while I don't think Rose sucks the big skin banana, I do wonder if he would benefit from a night off and a mental health day of sorts. It's just too bad that these last two games of the season are pretty vital for the Rock's playoff hopes, so that probably won't be happening this weekend or next weekend.

15. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

I think the defense is giving up better shots.

I think Rose is also squeezing the stick, because the attack has kinda disappeared for extended periods in a number of those games.