Rose sucks the big skin bananna

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by rocklax#1, Feb 28, 2014.

1. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

The same Buffalo that already handed the Rock's ass to them because the Rock kept blowing shots. I hope Dawick puts your theory to the test by firing Manning asap. Trick is, who can replace him? Gary Gait? Sanderson? It almost doesn't matter -- under Manning, the team's 100% predictable and makes the same mistakes game after game.

2. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I think his other coaching gig makes this unworkable, but, I would love to see this. He could walk the talk, and, already has a ring as an NLL head coach......I figure if he talks, players listen.

TBH, I don't even know who's out there that is not doing anything better, or would leave where they are and get in the middle of this Orangeville stuff that's going on.

3. RockStar

Anyone got a list of notable, but unemployed/underemployed NLL coaches?

If mr0and3 visits Toronto, I am game for anything, except for Mouradian or Milligan.....

Darris Kilgour?
    Duane Jacobs?

Damn, it's a little cruel to be plotting against the O coach on a night where they gave up 17, but, single digits again, and, three, count em, three second half goals, and only two of those when it still mattered.

Also, a lot of bad turnovers leading to goals, or illegal substitution penalties.

Something's wrong, and, the GM ain't going to want to fire himself for getting the wrong players......

4. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

A team that won primarily cause of their goalie on opening night as well. There's no reason to think that it's a foregone conclusion the Rock get beaten in a one-sided beat down on the 30th.

5. RockStar

The offence was OK ish in Buffalo at everything except getting the shots to drop.

again, it wasn't the right shot, or it was mis-executed. 20% plus need to be going in.

6. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

Totally fair. My worry's that the O will continue to sputter making the same mistakes they've made most games since mid-season last year, most of which RockStar noticed:
    • bad turnovers leading to goals;
    • bad shot selection;
    • bad execution of plays;
    • lots of illegal substitutions; and
    • entire halves where the Rock can barely manage 3 goals.
    Even Schrieber's looked lost. If Buffalo's goalie regresses to the mean next game, the Rock still need to bury the ball. Hopefully, they finally do it. If not, who are options to replace Manning?

PS - RockStar, Jacobs is with Rochester as Director of Player Development.
    D. Kilgour (if his demons are at rest)?
    Paul Gait? (a bomb as a head coach but certainly someone who understands O)
    Mike Lines?
    John Grant Jr? (He may be tied up with coaching in the MLL)
    Paul Stewart?
    Jeff Dowling?

7. RockStar

Rochester is probably a happier place for Jacobs to work.

I think Sanderson has what it takes to be a GM, but before they hired him, I was hoping they would bring in Jacobs, and let Jacobs figure out the next coach......i dont mind the connection to Orangeville, because that is a well run centre with lots of good players, but, i would like connections to the other centres as well - Six Nations, Durham, Peterborough.....

Stewart or Dowling is a little intriguing out of your list.

Paul Gait isn't the dumbest idea ever....he was a flop in Rochester, but, the franchise was a world class mess at that stage in its history......so bad that Suggate himself decided he couldn't fix it ;).

All I know is I would like a fresh set of eyes on this offence, and a fresh set of ideas coming from whatever the fresh eyes notice......everyone is healthy and the lefty gunner was brought in, there are no valid excuses remaining.

8. AmericanRockFan

This is what I agree with 100%. Except I don't think I want Darris Kilgour as the offensive coach.

Who out there in Orangeville or Oakville can the Rock pick up to replace Manning?

9. RockStar

With the chaw, and the F-bombs, he is by far the most offensive coach this league has ever seen :D

Best telecast ever was when they live-mic'ed him with no delay for ESPN's national broadcast of the 2006 championship game......He would have made an ex sailor that now worked construction blush with his invective when that game started going sideways :eek:

10. RockStar

But, in all seriousness, I think he'd bring a healthy second look at what we have now, and, I think young teams (Leblanc is the greybeard on attack, so, ours is young-ish) respond well to his style.

11. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Jon Harasym is an asst. in Oakville and could be an option if he's available. Dan Teat might deserve another shot at offensive coach. I don't know if there's an Ontario Senior B option that's worth a look.

12. RockStar

Not sure about Harasym. I remember him as a two-way player, more used on D. Also, I think this "inbreeds" the coaching staff to an even higher concentration of Orangeville.

Did not like Teater with the Bandits, but, I don't think he ever had a group with this much potential firepower there......maybe it's better, maybe it's just different.

13. AmericanRockFan

If someone had told you that you had to pick a offensive coach, and that your choices were Jon Harasym, Dan Teat, or Dan Ladouceur, who would you have chosen?

Of course, hindsight is 20/20 on this one :p

RockStar likes this.
  14. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

An in-season replacement might be tough to find with the ALL starting up next week and the NLL season going. Teat is coaching Jr. A and from what I can gather, he is not involved in Winter lax.

Maybe the Rock sticks with what they have for now. There's a bye week coming up so maybe with a couple of game films under their belt, they can figure it out.

15. RockStar

if they make any move, Josh either just does it, or they paratroop in some other Orangeville guy, possibly with 'interim' tag until next season.

still time to fix this.....there is possibly 198 goals worth of talent there, but, you cant just stick them out there without a plan to counter whatever the opposing D is doing with their own plan.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  16. AmericanRockFan

I really feel like they could break out of this funk in the next game. I've seen teams underachieve in the past, but I just feel like this team has too much young talent to sputter all season long. I'm unsure what's going on in the locker room when they're strategizing but I think they do need to appoint an offensive leader/quarterback. During the game in Buffalo I saw at least 2-3 different players take the QB position at the point, and I'd like to see a little more consistency on who's running the offense.

What worries me is that the offense has too many field generals and only ball to go around. Truthfully, someone like Reid Reinholdt might be more valuable on the floor than someone like Steph Leblanc right now because Reinholdt is (probably) used to being a role player, whereas Leblanc is used to being the star of the offense... at least he was until Schreiber, Hellyer, and Hickey emerged in recent years.

17. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

My hope is that Manning gets read the riot act. The O shows up in Buffalo or his head rolls.

If Manning fails, Sanderson steps in for the season and they find a proper replacement in the off season. Teat and Harasym won't cut it. Nor will hiring friends like Colin Doyle. They need an experienced, creative coach who can outwit strong D.

RockStar likes this.
  18. AmericanRockFan

Maybe the Rock should go the unconventional route and pick a random former defenseman to coach the offense. What are Carter Livingstone and Ian Rubel up to these days??

19. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

if you thought adding adam jones and a healthy rob hellyer would had meant anything, it would had meant more goals. subtraction by addition so far.

20. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

looks like the rush are not missing jones at all.