Rose sucks the big skin bananna

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by rocklax#1, Feb 28, 2014.

1. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

It's a small sample size, but they also have two elite talents in Matthews and Church, who are above the level of any of the Rock's top five shooters. For a team like the Rush, Jones is just another guy in a green uniform.

2. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

jones might be a top 5 on Sask, but, they are ridiculously deep, and the system and tactics are sound.

can we steal McComb:)

3. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

He isn't from Orangeville. He isn't a retired Rock player with next to zero NLL coaching experience. He also seems ready to voice an honest opinion rather than suck up. Your scouting reports on offensive coaches need work :)

I'm actually wondering if Dawick's earned a rep as a hard man to work for, having turfed two coach of the year winners, and various assistants and players, sometimes with thinly veiled acrimony. He almost has to hire friends because everyone else runs away. I've no insider knowledge to back up what might be an unfair gut feeling. I'm just putting the idea out there for the sake of having something to talk about in a bye week.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    RockStar likes this.
  4. AmericanRockFan

My behind the scenes understanding about Dawick/Cordingley is that Dawick fired Cordingley so that Cordingley could take the job in Buffalo as a favor to Cordingley because coaching the Bandits is/was Cordingley's dream job. Now, IF that is true then what wouldn't he still hold onto Cordingley and trade his rights to Buffalo instead of firing the guy??

As for John Lovell getting canned, well the team sucked in 2016, so I'm okay with that canning. I was always on #TeamSawyer when it came to replacing Cordingley.

5. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

With 2 expansion teams coming in, one of them should give him a call to see if he's interested. He should be near the top of the head coaching lists in San Diego and Philly with Richie Kilgour, Johnny Tavares, Sean Ferris and maybe Chris Gill and Dan Stroup (who would have inside tracks with the Seals given how Govett is in charge there).

RockStar likes this.
  6. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

It does seem odd to fire someone instead of making a deal. Not sure about that. I agree that Sawyer's an upgrade from Lovell. Anyway, I'm curious what the league as a whole thinks of the prospect of working for Dawick. I'm hoping someone outside the Orangeville nexus joins the Rock; fresh perspective is needed. Would anyone outside that nexus want to work for him?

7. RockStar

i think i am good with Sawyer as head coach and Josh as GM, except that he doesn't have a title that suggests he is a fully autonomous gm.

i even appreciate that, at times, the D and O coaches have not had a deep squad to work with.....2016 was a writeoff, 2015 was really thin on lefty depth.

i was confused as F that Laddy was the guy who got the axe for that one losing streak that featured ~7 goal outputs from the offence, and, ~12 goal against performances by the D.

you can win a game where you hold the opponent to 11 or 12, but, if you score 6 or 7, you ain't winning shtt.....

ancient history.

today i am frustrated that what should be a deeper attack unit is putting up the same thin numbers, and performs worse, not better, as the game goes on.

the pre season looked good, but, they weren't playing the opponents' best d men and tenders, and, now that we are live, it looks depressing.

i think there is enough talent for 200 goals, and, that should have them at .500 or better if they can do it. Thing is, i cant have my core guys shooting .100s, and, i cannot be held to, like two or three second half goals before garbage time.

fix this, or fix manning and let someone else have a shot at fixing it.

8. Lovell wins coach of the year in 2015, signs a 2 year deal for the 2016 and 2017 season, then gets canned....I just don't get it, I understand business is business but this is a league where you can go from young to old and First to worst overnight
    (2015, Doyle and Hickey both missed 7 reg season games could be attributed to a lack or performance on floor)

edit: looked it up, Lovell was 28-26 as a coach, Took the Rock to the NLL final in 2015 (and lost).

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  9. RockStar

If I were running any of the expansion teams, I think him, Ferris, the Kilgours, all get a phone call.

Thing is, for McComb or Ferris, this is one of those things where maybe it is better to serve in Heaven than reign in Hell......

Even if there was a head coaching gig available, do I really want to leave a place where a shrewd GM has built me an amazing set of offence talent without depleting the future draft years' stores, and where my defensive colleague has just as great a group of guys to work with so the team is a perennial cup contender??

I'd have to think long and hard about whether it is worth leaving this to be the top dog in an expansion market that I still have to fly to.......

10. Corporal

Corporal Active Member

Right now, the Seals and Wings are looking for a GM first since they will be hiring the HC. Guys with GM experience like Marty O'Neill, Bob Hamley, Duane Jacobs should be frontrunners for those GM spots. Govett has already said he will not be the GM, so whoever he hires, we shall see how much rope Govett gives that person. I imagine both teams are narrowing in on those decisions soon. They will need those GM and HC by July when the expansion draft will drop.

RockStar likes this.
  11. chuckster

Are they content with being assistant coaches? I would think they would want a shot at being the top dog in the top tier league of their sport. Plus, they likely would get paid more than they get now. And by deep pocketed owners. It's a risk and they have families and maybe other non-lax jobs to consider in a decision but I would bet it's tempting to kick the tires on it. Of course, would their existing teams allow them to talk to expansion teams during a season....

12. chuckster

I'd throw Brian Shanahan into that mix. He watches a lot of lacrosse at various levels. Maybe even Stephen Stamp would get a look. They would be my dark horse candidates.

13. RockStar

Yes, you definitely want the GM hired first. He hires a coach that sees it largely the same way as him, and, then the two of them put together a core of a team that the coach can deal with.

14. chuckster

The league goal is going to be 16 teams in the next 3-5 years. Are there 16 guys who are good GMs and 16 good indoor coaches out there? Plus enough good scouts out there for each team?

Will they end up with more former players like Dan Carey becoming GMs with little to no experience in the GM's office?

15. AmericanRockFan

I'd actually be really interested to see how Shanahan would fare as a lacrosse executive, although I'm not 100% sure I'd want him as an executive for the Rock. At least not as the club's GM.

16. AmericanRockFan

Take your big skin banana and shove it up your ass.

RockStar likes this.
  17. RockStar

Rose was so bad, he gave up a goal a minute in the fourth until they yanked him for Hutchcraft! :D

18. AmericanRockFan

******* Nick Rose, blew the Rock's chance at history tonight. Could've allowed only 1 goal tonight, but Rosey had other ideas.

19. RockStar

no ****, eh? he's terrible!