Rose sucks the big skin bananna

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by rocklax#1, Feb 28, 2014.

1. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I saw the last preseason game between these two teams and came to pretty much this conclusion.

For the first time since trading Benesch, Swarm have a legit five on five attack that will only get better until three years from now when they start trading it for picks.

These strong bodies with decent hands picked apart the Rock D for good looks all night, and, they cashed in on enough of these to hang in any game the Rock could have given back.

The win was made easy by the fact that the Rock attack was as sharp as wet paper. In five on five play, the Lefties were basically goose-egged except for Leblanc's one. Even the righties only got like 3 goals in five on five play. When the transition guys are only coming up with one (Gilbert off a faceoff), you have to score at a much higher pace than this!

The Rock goaltending in both of the games was meh. It didn't lose the game, but, it certainly wasn't going to steal it either.

What I see is that the D, plus Doyle (and Sanderson), may have all ticked over to one year too old at the same time. This should be treated as a re-building year.

At this point, I'd rather see Evans with Ross and Leblanc, because Doyle's best years are in the rear view. I'm hoping they can move him to a contender for a late first round pick or a prospect close to the deadline. Either that, or I hope to see Sanderson healthy and Doyle's minutes/touches rolled back a fair bit. Don't see either happening, but, I'm hoping.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2016
  2. rocklax#1

rocklax#1 Member

Glad it had a lasting impression, lol

3. rocklax#1

rocklax#1 Member

now that's funny

4. Rock Rulz

Rock Rulz Member

Outside Shooting!!!!

I have been screaming about this for years!!! If you don't want to get hit, play Leaf hockey. To get inside you are going to have to earn it, but the greater the risk the greater the reward.
    Much better scoring chances, messing up the zone D that forms when you do nothing but shoot from outside, and it keeps the other team honest and limits the transition chances on balls bouncing 100 feet
    back off the wall for a breakaway the other way. IMHO

5. wacklax

wacklax Member

My favorite thread ever. Keep it on track.

6. TheRockMan

TheRockMan Active Member

Also the ROck players were trying shots for the same spot around higgins feet, they should of mixed it up a bit

7. RockStar

Yeah, need more crash and bash, especially from the lefties.

Doyle doesn't play like a power forward any more, and Evans wasn't getting any room to do anything. No surprise that Leblanc was the only lefty to score.

I really missed Ross out there. He was a hugely underrated part of why the overall attack worked so damned well last year. Love to get him back in. Leblanc's a fixture, and I guess no one's going to sit the captain so, figuring maybe you have to look at scratching Evans, or dressing the extra forward when you're playing a big strong defense.

Other than that, Beirnes and Hickey should be able to move some bodies on the other side, and, all three of the lead righties can finish......Maybe just need a few different sets and some time to gel.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2016
  8. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

ross hurt his shoulder in philly, a shadow of himself since.

9. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

You must have missed last year in Toronto, as is was almost a career year for him.

10. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

rats..they always recover once they leave.

11. RockStar

6 goals and 52 saves against last year's other East finalist.

The defense-goal duo may have figured a couple of things out.

12. relaxman

relaxman New Member

I'll admit, he had a great game. a single goal against in the first 3 quarters and 3 in the forth when there was no chance. I also have to respect his demeanor when the 4th started and Roc was pulling the goalie, he could have easily tossed one or two in, but didn't add to insult. A complete game all around.

13. RockStar

One A+ game does not make a career, nor even a season, but, I felt Rose was money when he needed to be against Buffalo, and arguably saved the game......several 1 on 0 breakaway stops and decent play otherwise.

Friday was fantastic defense and a goalie who stopped pretty well whatever they didn't.

Not expecting to see 2001 Coyle/Veltman/Laddy/Clark/Bullen/Watson shutdown numbers, but, maybe we're looking good enough to go .500 ish or better the rest of the way in today's NLL.

14. rocklax#1

rocklax#1 Member

no skin banannas sucked on this night, just a few pints. Great job ROSIE

15. RockStar

Hope Sunday's better.....or Miller.

Just absolutely owned by Dickson tonight.

16. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

I see Miller is on the PUP, big game on Sunday.

17. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Active Member

Miller has been re-activated, Fryer is back on the practice roster. Also Kevin Ross is back and Batson is out.

18. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

so many soft outside goals :-(

19. longshot

longshot New Member

well they drafted a goalie a couple years ago kept him on the practice roster till the downsize of the league came with new contract....rock didnt carry3 the next year...Glebe played for Germany in the worlds last year and for a team with their 1st time in tournament played well.....Rose never moved well any years of his playing it was his size that carried him and like most guys his size struggle seeing down low and reaction on 2nd or 3rd shot kill them well dont forget they traded him in the first year and later brought him back.....didnt they?

20. RockStar

I think Kloepfer drafted Rose with their first pick that year (early 2nd Rd)......and then cut him after the first weekend of camp. Brilliant bit of scouting there, eh!?