Rose sucks the big skin bananna

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by rocklax#1, Feb 28, 2014.

1. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

He was a 3rd rounder, 28th overall in 2008.

http://www.swarmitup.com/2008EDOrder.htm

2. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

3rd rounder, eh?

Memory is fuzzy. Only thing I knew for sure was that there were no firsts for him to louse up that year!

I think that drafting a goalie was made necessary by protecting Watson and not Poulin. (Poulin aint the answer either, but, I might have preferred him to Rose ).

3. Niagra Ned

Niagra Ned Member

Rose is benefitting from a desperate team in front of him limiting high value scoring chances. The Rock defenders have resurfaced. You better hope Miller pulls up his socks if you plan on a run.

4. anaconda

anaconda Member

It sure looks like the coaching change that the Rock made on the Defensive end is having an effect, that coupled with the improved goal tending has been obvious.

5. RockStar

You know, there was only one Capital stinker by the defense while Laddy was still here.

Considerably more stinkers by offense in that run.......but now that Sanderson is coaching again instead of Manning, it's all good !

6. rocklax#1

rocklax#1 Member

lets just remember, Sanderson wasn't the only one to return that game, Gamble came back and Serge was back as well. Still do not understand how Batson and the Billy's keep getting playing time on D

7. RockStar

This was huge.....helps with the clears, and there's actually something resembling a credible transition threat now.

8. TheRockMan

TheRockMan Active Member

rose was brought in in a trade in 2012 after roik was released in 2012

9. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Active Member

Yes but he was drafted by the Rock in 2008. He never ended up playing for them and went to Boston and then Calgary.

10. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I'm ready to Rock.

11. AmericanRockFan

Well, I think last night the big skin banana sucked the pink Rose, not the the other way around.

12. AmericanRockFan

The big skin banana continues to suck Nick Rose and not vice versa as Rose leads the NLL in save percentage and goals against average, both of which by a decent margin. In case you care about that sort of thing.

13. RockStar

Stats don't lie, but, goaltending stats are just as much an indication of how the defense is doing.

-You 'need' 75% saves to have a chance at winning a game, and, you're really hoping for 80% - 9 to 12 GA on 45 to 60 shots .

-An open look on the crease or a good look at up to 15' in front of the middle seems to be roughly a 50-50.

-open man receiving a smart cross-floor feed might be 60-40 in favour of the shooter.

-Other outside shots are maybe 10 to 30%.

You don't get to 75%+ if your defense isn't locking down the good shooting areas, and guarding the non-ball carriers well.

I feel like the Rock once again have a top level defense, and a decent "angles" goalie to backstop it.

The other thing that I'm enjoying is that Rose is actually quite good at finding the rebounds, getting them into his stick, and hitting the breakout man with the pass. It's been years since there was much of a threat of Rock transition scoring, and, as long as you can do it without hurting the shutdown part of the defense scheme, it's a valuable difference maker.

Fun year so far. Hoping it keeps getting more fun.

14. AmericanRockFan

I agree with your point about goalie stats, especially GAA, being more of a reflection on the defense than on the netminder himself. There's no doubt that the defense has definitely helped to boost Rose's numbers this season, but I do feel that Rose himself has become a more reliable netminder as well. Other than the first half of the home game versus Rochester this season, there really haven't been many vintage Rose moments where he struggled to the point where you wonder if he's really the Rock's best option in goal.

Of course Nick Rose isn't Bob Watson, but I do have to wonder how this incarnation of the defense compares to the defense of the glory days.

15. RockStar

I actually think this incarnation of the defense would fare better against the offensive units of old - it's more mobile, and, it's playing an improved system that is more resilient against both pick and roll, and cross floor ball movement .......

if this crew were allowed to dish out high and hard off-ball cross checks like the Laddy/Coyle/Bullen/Clark group, I figure they'd do an equal or better job of locking down the "home plate" shooting gallery.

Impossible to know, but, I'd bet the goals against would be somewhat lower.

Also, with Edwards, Gamble, Merrill, Harris, and later, Sorenson.....could you imagine this group of runners playing in the old days when you could still roll the ball into the crease for an unpressured outlet pass??? easily 2 to 3 "Toll goals" per game.

16. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I liked that rule, especially off of face-offs where you could just launch it back to your goalie. It made goalies more important in transition aspects and I do miss the launch of the ball down the floor for goals like Toll used to score (too bad alot of them were against the Bandits).

17. RockStar

That rule worked really well for the Bartley era defense groups. The big guys with the hard hands never needed to worry about scooping under pressure and trying to carry past pressure.....just flick it to Watson, who had a stick that was plenty good enough to hit the spot 8' in front of Toll or sometimes the guy coming out of the front door.

I kind of like today's rule a little better, because it's consistent with every other set of box rules, and makes the full floor press after turnovers more effective, but, I wouldn't mind seeing the old rule re-trialled in pre-season to see if they can get back a bit more of the old running game.

18. AmericanRockFan

Was that the best game of Nick Rose's career last night or what?

19. RockStar

I dont figure he's had more than two bad quarters all year and they weren't back to back.

career year so far, hope it keeps up.

20. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

I'd say the game he lost to the Wings 8-7 was better. (2012 maybe?)

Rose wasn't even the best goalie in the game last night, but damn was he good. That was a treat to watch from both ends.