Roster Sizes

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by LordStanley1893, Dec 11, 2018.

1. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

I know the roster size has increased this season, has anyone seen anything mentioning if the gameday rosters increased from 19?

2. unspoken

unspoken Member

From what I've heard, no. Each team has an active 21 man roster and 4 practice spots. There will be 2 active healthy scratches each night.

3. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

So, 17 runners and 2 goalies? Can a team, hypothetically, dress 18 runners and only 1 goalie if they really wanted? Of course it'd be silly not to dress a backup goalie, but is there actually anything in writing that prohibits this?

4. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

I don't know about the 2019 season, but we had this in the 2018 rule book:

5. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Sweet. I'm always at the arena 2 hours early if the Wings need an EBUG this year.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  6. Stoned_Lax

Stoned_Lax Member

Well here is what I found

SUBMISSION OF ELIGIBLE PLAYER LIST
    -
    Two identical lists indicating the names and numbers of all 17 runnersand 2 goaltenders, if available in the lineup plus other eligible players and goalkeepers must be handed to the Crew Chief at the Officials’ Room no later than 45 minutes before the game and no change, with the exception of an injury or sickness during warm up, shall be permitted in the list or addition thereto. The Crew Chief will give the home game operations staff one copy each, while the club’s will receive the opposing teams list at that time. The name of the Captain and the Alternate Captains of both teams shall be included in the list. Also, each clubs designated in-home player will be indicated on the lineup and penalty summary sheet. A goaltender cannot be designated in-home. Any non-designated player penalty, bench minor, or minor penalty to the goaltender, will be served by the in-home player. Head Coaches are subject to a fine for improperly submitting the eligible player list as per above.
    Should an injury/sickness occur during warm up the club must notify the Crew Chief before the end of the formal warm up in order for an eligible replacement to be made at that time. The opposing club shall be immediately notified by the Crew Chief and allowed line up change(s) not to exceed the original clubs changes at that time. The Crew Chief shall notify the Official Scorer of any line
    up changes. Any violation of roster submission will result in a fine by the League. All teams shall submit their 6 starters for the game.

ONE GOALTENDER ON FLOOR
    -
    Each Team shall be allowed one goalkeeper on the floor at one time. The goalkeeper may be removed and another player substituted. Such substitute shall not be permitted the privileges of the goalkeeper.

GOALTENDER SUBSTITUTE
    -
    Prior to the start of the game each team shall have on its bench, or on a chair immediately beside the bench, a substitute goalkeeper, if available who shall, at all times, be fully dressed and equipped and ready to play.

7. AmericanRockFan

I love how they articulate that you can't have both goaltenders play at the same time.

Thanks for doing the dirty work and finding the rules for me, peeps. I figured there was a rule.

8. Tom Wersderfer

Tom Wersderfer Active Member

I remember back in the early 2000's there was a game in Rochester between the Knighthawks and the Albany Attack and some how Albany had both goaltenders on the floor at the same time. The game was immediately stopped by the officials and a goal was awarded to the Knighthawks even though no one was even shooting on goal. Not sure who the goal was credited to, probably the player holding the ball at the time. Strangest thing I've ever seen in a game.

9. AmericanRockFan

I wish I could see this. I suppose I could see a case where the backup stepped off the bench for a split moment to make room for a player making a change, but otherwise I have no clue how that sort of thing could happen without some sort of deliberate intent.

10. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Maybe they were up by 1 with a minute to go and wanted to DOUBLE WALL that ****. Kinda like pulling your goalie, but in reverse.

11. AmericanRockFan

Using the soccer strategy of building a wall. I like it. Unless of course my team is trying to score on two Mike Mirons that is.

12. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

Thanks folks, we're going to be piecemealing the things that have changed and have not from the CBA for months to come.

13. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

All you have to do is get the 2 Mirons to move one way or the other and then there will be plenty of net to shoot at.