1. Our Privacy Policy and User Agreement have changed. By using or registering on any portion of this site, you agree to our updated User Agreement and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement.
    Dismiss Notice

Roughnecks Out

Discussion in 'Calgary Roughnecks Forum' started by New Fan, Apr 23, 2017.

1. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

Just finished watching the Steslth defeat Colorado. Great game. So, after 15 years the Roughnecks are out of the playoffs. Feel badly for a talented group of players.
    Hopefully after 3 losing seasons in a row and now missing the playoffs the Flames organization should fire the GM Mike Board who should have fired Malawsky last year and fire Malawsky. Time to clean house of all the coaches. Too much talent on that team.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    Roughnecks Fan #1 likes this.
  2. Can only hope so. I don't like this "missing the playoffs " feeling, it's not fun. Please, management, have the balls to fire the coach now, before we have anymore losing seasons!!

3. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

Agree not a great feeling for a great group of guys. Not much chatter on the Calgary website. Guess they're trying to figure out how to spin why they missed the playoffs with the talent they have. Both NHL Flames and NLL Roughnecks out of playoffs. Hope the top management quickly resolves the Necks situation with GM And coaches. Hell, bring in an interm staff for the last game.

Roughnecks Fan #1 likes this.
  4. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Too bad about the 'Necks not making the playoffs. Geez, when is the last time that that happened?
    I am more concerned about attendance. Despite having a decent attendance compared to other teams in the league, it is among the bottom in %capacity although Georgia is the clear loser there. The Front Office should look into that...

5. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

The Roughnecks inaugural season was 2002 and they missed the playoffs. In 2003 made the playoffs for 15 straight years in a row. Will be some shocked fans and players and it will be an interesting game at home next weekend.
    On attendance they are averaging 10,723 fans a game. That will probably rank them around 4th overall in the league. Calgary Flames in the NHL own them, so costs minimal and I'm sure they do okay financially.
    Has attendance gone gown, likely. Could be due to poor economy in Alberta in the past 2 years and I think a losing record. Core fans attend, but winning brings in more.
    Present HC now finishing 5 seasons. 2014 lost in NLL final then downhill from there. 2015 - 7-11, 2016 - 8-10 and 2017 likely 7-11. Last 3 years 22-32. No vision by GM that the HC had lost the room. Counted on making playoffs and defeating Colorado, which they did, and off to West final. Well, finally caught up to them this year and playing golf after next weekend.

6. I know right? And our last game is against SaskRush, talk about adding insult to injury!!!! Can't believe that Mouse/McMahon have gutted this team so bad and not been shoved out the door. Dave Pym was fired with a much better record , unbelievable. Please please change coaching, and don't take anyone else's fired garbage either - have heard a rumbling about one of the 3 Colorado coaches - already got McMahon after he was fired and look how that went!! Start fresh, lots of options right around here!!!

7. unspoken

unspoken Member

I was thinking about the bad economy too as a factor but that wouldn't explain Saskatoon's rise then. Economy here is poor too but sales still high.

8. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Even in a bad economy, people still spend money. They do tighten up but if something provides solid value and a great experience, it will be bought.

9. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

Absolutely correct and that's why the Rush pack the place with over 15,000 per game. Win and they come. In Calgary in 2015 - 4 wins at home. In 2016 - 5 wins at home and 2017 - likely 4 out of 9 wins at home. Basically less than 50% winning record at home. Mind boggling how the top brass of the Flames organization can't see the pattern. It's hard to replace 20 guys if they're the problem of not winning. Not hard to replace the Head Cosch.

10. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I have to admit that Curt Malawsky doesn't seem to have that team doing well. Did CGY trade away good guys or something?

11. Saskie Fan

Saskie Fan Guest

Ive been saying it for a while. Time for a blowup starting with Mouse and Mike Board. Dickson has to also calm down on the shots. Mark Mathews of the Rush has 100 shots less and 5 more points. and has played 1 less game. To much individual on O and not enough team. They have needed a fire under there ass for a while. Great guys running the show but its not producing wins

12. Calgary has taken massive hits from the economy, and hey, we all know there is nothing else to do in Sasketchewan anyways!! Just kidding, I dont want to see any more teams fold or move, we need the lax wave to keep going.

13. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

explain to me getting rid of reilly o'connor?
    so many off target shots. any idea the number of goals given up on transition from a missed shot? i know you think it sounds small. i go back to circa 2006 with the wings holding their playoff chances, needing only to beat the lowly swarm at the final home game. i loved sean greenhalgh back then but on that night his shooting touch was the worst i ever saw. blast after blast missing everything, bouncing off the boards, swarm scooping up the loosie for odd man goal after goal. if you shoot that bad, you better get off the floor pronto. digby, dickson, dane don't strike me as gazelle like.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  14. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

you still have NBW 2018 an 2019 1st round picks. any thought of packaging them for 2017 #1? buffalo hates draft picks, throw in an aging vet and its your for the taking.

15. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

dougm, on your comment on number of goals scored against the Necks in transition your bang on. Over the past 5 years watched the O guys miss shots on goal and the dog it off the floor while the D and goalie left out go dry. That's coaching and the inability to figure out how to correct it.
    On trading picks help us if the GM and HC are still in charge. Their record of drafting the right players for the teams needs is brutal. If I could find their draft choices somewhere on the NLL Site I would review it. Wasn't it last year they selected Mitch De Snoo in round 1 only to trade him to Buffalo for Brandon Goodwin who may have played one game and is no longer with Calgary. One more reason to get rid of these two.

Roughnecks Fan #1 and smurf666 like this.
  16. unspoken

unspoken Member

A fantastic source for draft history is www.swarmitup.com draft history back to 2004 and tracks the trades of draft picks as well.

17. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

Okay, let's see the great drafting record of the both the GM and HC over the past years. In 2016 Holden Cattoni was drafted 5th overall in round 1. So far has played 14 games with 6 goals and 16 assists. Vaughn Harris was also drafted in round 1 and has played a total of 2 games this year. In 2015 Wes Berg drafted 4th overall in round 1. Reilly O'Conner drafted 7th in R1 and played 1 year, scoring 6 goals and 12 assists. Moved this year to New England where he scored 16 goals and 32 assists to date. O gee, he actually got to see the ball. In 2014 drafted Tyson Roe as first pick in round 2 and 15th overall. Never did play for the Necks. In 2013 Tor Reinholt drafted 6th overall in R1 and never really cracked the lineup, spending most of the time on practice squad. I think he is now with the Rock. Karsen Leung R2 and 10th overall, on injured list all of 2017. In 2012 Joe Restastartis drafted 3rd overall in R1 and I think was with the team 2 years and now doing well in Buffalo, I think. Matthew Dinsdale drafted 7th overall in R1 as an O guy and Malawsky tried to make him a Defender. Traded to Saskatchewan where he now has 2 rings. Jackson Decker, R2 and 17th overall, never lasted and starts for Colorado. Finally, just went back to 2011 where they drafted Travis Cornwall 7th overall in R1. He was named number 1 JRA player that year and scored 100 points. Again, Malawsky tried to make him a D/T guy. That worked out well. Now with Stealth. Can't draft and can't coach. Have a look at the draft picks Keenan made in Edmonton/Saskatchewan and see how many of his draft picks are still in the lineup. Lots and that's why they have the record they have.

BlackWolves99 and dougm like this.
  18. unspoken

unspoken Member

19. I have read your brothers blog, very good. Orginally was super pro Rush (that they could do no wrong) but has now evolved into a open-air blog that tells the good and bad of each team/issue, etc, regardless who it is. Tell him it is a good read. I don't have a twitter account but I can access it to read and do each week.

20. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

He's in Rochester now. He was traded with a 3rd rounder by Buffalo to the Hawks for Jamie Batson (who was cut) and two 2nd rounders (one became Justin Martin, the other is coming this year).