Rule Book / Media Guide / Wings History

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by Vin, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I am not interested in stoking any flames or causing drama, but, with the new season, I always check to see if the League is on top of things.

For one thing, the only rulebook that I can see that is linkable is the 2017 Rule Book. A 2018-2019 Rule Book needs to be uploaded.

However, they did JUST update the Media Guide even including Halifax and New York for 2019-2020.

In examining that Media Guide, the Philadelphia Wings 2.0 history was maintained with the New England Black Wolves with the 3.0 Wings being treated as the expansion that it is. My anal retentive systems engineer sense is very satisfied with that because it's the maintenance of the truth.

Yet, during the broadcast, they certainly treated the new Wings as an extension of the old Wings. (For example, "This franchise has won 6 championships...", etc.)

From a marketing perspective, that makes sense and, for that reason, I am fine with that even though it's fiction. No one ever said there had to be truth in advertising.

2. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

3. liveone

liveone Active Member

Typical NLL.

The Wings say the records went with NE.

NE seems to agree
    https://twitter.com/NEBlackWolves/status/1074025989200601088?s=19

The NLL publishes a story with a heading that seems to say different, but the nothing about the history or records is even mentioned in the story.

The Wings raise a banner anyway. Not that I care... NE hasn't acknowledged the history one bit.

Meanwhile in the other coast Vancouver is doing everything they can to distance themselves from the Stealth. Their social media was full of "franchise first" posts this weekend.

4. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Actually, I didn't miss that and thanks for mentioning that because I had forgotten.
    Really, the league needs to get its shît together.

EDIT: I reread the article. I think that simply means that they elevated the old banners. That's fine; they should have never taken them down.

5. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

In the Media Guide, they don't deny who they were in the past. Even Rob Blasdell, Attack goalie, appears listed in the history.

That said, the Media Guide has done something subtle: It only gives seasons by years and makes no mention of previous incarnations of the franchise in the records. That suppresses the idea of franchise movement/instability.

For the Vancouver Warriors, in particular, that franchise's 5th location/name incarnation:
    Albany Attack
    San Jose Stealth
    Washington Stealth
    Vancouver Stealth
    Vancouver Warriors

6. thegreenbastard

thegreenbastard Active Member

7. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

I expected that link to go to something like "the history of sponge bob"

8. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Excellent, thanks. How did you find it?

Interesting that the Rule Book also had the schedule BEFORE the first two weeks were cancelled. Not a biggie, but, from a reliability engineering / database perspective, I fail to understand why they would include the schedule in the Rule Book.

Thanks again!

9. liveone

liveone Active Member

Teddy Jenner just pointed out on Twitter that the media guide says that there will be 8 playoff teams this year. I just looked and it has the top 4 in each division going. 1st seed to host 4th at home, 2nd to host 3rd, then a single game division final and best of 3 finals.

10. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I like that. I accepted that we had byes when we had 6 teams in the playoffs, but, in my bones, I want the number of playoff teams to always be power of 2.

11. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

This phrase crystallizes the one constant through the 20 whatever seasons of NLL history :D

WingsNut423566 likes this.
  12. GoKHawksGo

GoKHawksGo Active Member

So nearly 75% of the league makes the playoffs. Makes the regular season even less interesting.

13. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

And the Wings will still miss the playoffs :D

14. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

4 teams in an 11 team league is plenty. 6 is too many, and 8 is just absurd.

15. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

We all seem to forget that, when we had a 9 team league just several seasons ago with an 8-team playff with a Rush / KHawks final; 2 sub-0.500 teams that went on to dominate the league since then. It really wasn't that bad since it did go on to predict the future. They were peaking at the right time and, at the time they made the Championship, they WERE the two best teams despite their regular season record.

If you're the among the elite in a league then you need to be among the elite when it counts in the playoffs.
    You shouldn't have you competitors disqualified because of a bad record.
    Your good record should afford you better home field opportunities and that's it.
    Earn your way to the Championships by defeating opponents when it counts.

16. Ziel37

Ziel37 Member

Wholeheartedly disagree. Part of the reason playoffs exist is to reward teams that played well throughout the whole or majority of the season and to weed out those who did not. If you just start playing strong at the end of the season but lost 10 of the first 12 games, you should not be rewarded for it. You should be rewarded for putting up a consistent effort all season. Apparently now all you have to do is participate and be rewarded for it. There SHOULD be a stronger incentive for having the best regular season record, such as a bye. Honestly, home-field advantage doesn't nearly have as big of an impact in the NLL as other big leagues, mainly because players from both teams have to travel to the same arena anyways.

17. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

6 max. The money question will be, who will attend at that late date?

18. Rick716

Rick716 Well-Known Member

Too many. I like the idea of the incentive of receiving a bye in round one for winning the division. If you want to have top 4, then the division should have 7 or 8 teams each.

19. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

NHL has half of the teams making the cut, so, I can live with 6 of 11 moving to 6 of 13 next season.

Should not have moved to 8 teams in the playoffs until 15.....maybe 14

20. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

Go to NLL.com, hover over "About", click on "Rulebook". There's very little they could have done to make it easier to find.