Rush on a Roll

Discussion in 'Saskatchewan Rush Forum' started by New Fan, Dec 24, 2017.

1. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

Well, trade goalies in the off season and in the first meeting between the two team, the former Rush goalie, Aaron Bold, gets pulled while Kirk leads the Rush to a 24-13 dismantling of New England. Right now there is the Rush and then everybody else. Best GM and HC in the league. If only they could say that in Calgary.

2. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Good thing Watters and Smith fired Keenan back in '06......they never would have won another title with that joker!

:D

I cheer for these guys against almost any other team in the league - deepest and toughest team in the league for years.

3. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Feb 17 is Rush vs. Hawks in Rochester.....should be a great one!

4. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

Will be a good one. Tough place to play.

k-hawksfan33 likes this.
  5. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Might as well call them the Saskatchewan Butter cause they are on a roll!

I might need to attend that Rush-Knighthawks game in February.

k-hawksfan33 likes this.
  6. Gravedigger

Gravedigger Member

The scariest thing is that there hasn't really been a standout player for the Rush. Yes, Matthews ate New England alive, but against Toronto Shattler and Keenan ran a good deal of the offense and the stats sheet showed. Yes, Church is the best righty in the West Division, but McIntosh and Knight have been equally solid in their roles. On defense, your Rubischs and Corbeils continue to do their thing, but players like Sorichetti and Hossack are playing just as well. Also, not having the inconsistent adventure that is Aaron Bold in net makes a huge difference.

7. k-hawksfan33

k-hawksfan33 Well-Known Member

The Knighthawks and Rush have both played similarly the first 2 games this year. The only difference I see is that Colorado and NE might be a bit better than Buffalo and Calgary. It's a little early to tell though. Also I would have to disagree with that Aaron Bold statement Gravedigger. Not sure how much you've seen of Evan Kirk before this year but I would probably label him less consistent than Bold.

I know its early, but I think a Rush v Knighthawks Championship could be one for the ages if the stars align this year.

8. RockStar

re Bold, i think it is far easier to look consistent behind a D group like the Rush's

9. Riders78

Riders78 New Member

The defence for the Rush look a lot stronger this year. New England only had 3 goals for the longest time. The commitment to Defence was really impressive in both games so far.

10. Gravedigger

Gravedigger Member

I don't think you understand just how poorly Aaron Bold played last season. He was dead last in save percentage last year among starting goalies despite playing behind the best defense, and managed to single handedly lose multiple games. The Rush lost multiple games last season despite outshooting the opposing team by over 20 shots, and not because the opposing goalie stole the show, but because Bold turned in multiple games with a save percentage less than 700. I don't think anyone here thinks that save percentage is because the Rush had a porous defense. The guy was amazing in his Edmonton days, and it's entirely possible that he turns it around, but a poor year is a poor year. Kirk might have his own consistency issues, but I have my doubts his lows are as low as some of Bold's 2017 games, see: Aaron Bold's game 1 choke vs the Georgia Swarm.

I'm not convinced about Rochester yet. Their left side still has some question marks. Cody Jamieson is coming off a major injury, Kyle Jackson still has a lot to prove, and Cory Vitarelli is not the same player he was a few years ago. Graeme Hossack is a stud though. Would trade any Rush defender not named Kyle Rubisch or Chris Corbeil for him.

RockStar likes this.
  11. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

Not sold on Rochester either. For how great Vinc played, the Bandits still put 11 by him (which is in the realm of enough to win a game). Buque had a bad game and the defense is a work in progress. The Bandits handily won the loose ball battle, offense was good not great, 2 shorthanded goals and they stayed out of the box. If the hawks win 2 of the next 3 I'll buy into them more.

Rochester did what they had to do, but Calgary and Buffalo made it awfully difficult on themselves.

12. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

The right side of Dawson/Resatarits has the same number of goals as the left side of Jackson/Vitarelli. Sure, Cody only has 1 goal but he has 9 assists so he is in the mix on the scoring side. I'm convinced that Rochester will be at the top of the East come April as long as they stay healthy and Matt Vinc is Matt Vinc.

13. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Vinc is playing scary good right now

14. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

Vinc has always been incredible. He's done a major number on Buffalo over the years and a big factor in their dominance over the Bandits, especially in Rochester.

15. Kirk might consistency issues? he's the second best goalie in lacrosse behind Dillon Ward.
    Vitarelli is and always has been everything you want to pair with your superstar O players. He has not lost effectiveness

16. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Do these Rush jerseys glow in the dark?

17. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

Just finished watching Rush and Mammoth. It was a good game. Rush a delight to watch. The O moves the ball so well. Team reminds me of the 2009 champion Roughnecks team. Right now it’s the Rush and then everybody else. The only thing that will get in the way is if they start reading their press clippings on how good they are.

18. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

The roll just got buttered

RockStar likes this.
  19. RockStar

Nice finish, nice gameplan adjustment, nice motivation by Bandits coaching.

I would love to have heard the post-game dressing down by Keenan and his assistants......Even though an East rival benefited, it was kinda fun to watch the juggernaut upset by a lineup that had no business being within 3.

20. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

Like I said. They started reading their press clippings on how good they are and totally unprepared for Buffalo tonight.