Saskatoon announcement coming

Discussion in 'Saskatchewan Rush Forum' started by Grind, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Grind

Grind Member

Tuesday they are gonna announce the move . It sucks as a longtime fan but everyone saw it coming

2. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Moving a team a month after they win the title. Yeah, this league has long-term stability. :rolleyes:

3. Gravedigger

Gravedigger Member

Very sad to see them go. Hopefully Daryl Katz sends in an expansion application and Edmonton can start anew with Wes Berg.

4. Rushfan4ever

Rushfan4ever New Member

My heart breaks today...I've been a season ticket holder since day one and with all the posturing during the playoffs, I hoped that the team would find a way to stay but I guess when Philadelphia and Minnesota move, no one is safe. I know Urban gets a bad rap sometimes, but I thank him for brining and keeping this team in Edmonton for so long. If it wasn't in January I'd make the trek to Saskatoon for the home opener. I hope the league can find some stability with increased broadcasting deals and that the Oilers entertainment group considers getting a new franchise....then again, it just won't be the same.

5. BARKS DAWG

BARKS DAWG Active Member

That is sad news. When I called the Rush games at Rexall the fans I met on the floor after the game and they are a loyal bunch. Too bad the Oilers did not see fit to keep them at the new arena.

6. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Let's hope that the Oilers do see fit to keep them there by expanding into Edmonton. Really, I suspect it may actually be a decent decision on their end to expand into the NLL. They already have the infrastructure in place and a fanbase 10 years in development that they could easily grow because they have more resources and cost benefits than Bruce Urban did.

7. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

You and other Rush fans really need to let the Oilers know that you would support a new expansion Edmonton NLL team. Consider taking action and writing a group letter with many fans. In fact, reach out to Bruce Urban and see, if possible (I doubt it) if you could get names of STHers... Something so that the existing fanbase can let themselves be well-known to the Oilers.

8. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Member

Considering that the Oilers were interested in buying the Rush I wouldn't be surprised to see them apply for a expansion team.

9. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

2018 season

10. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

2018 expansion Edmonton NLL Oilers

I'll echo that 2018 assessment courtesy of this Edmonton Sun excerpt:

11. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

Would be interesting if Edmonton and Philly both come back in some form, the rivalries they'd have with Saskatchewan and New England.

12. Tom Wersderfer

Tom Wersderfer Active Member

I've already heard a rumor from a reliable source that the Oilers will buy an expansion team and put it in Edmonton if the Rush move.

13. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Seriously, it's intelligent business for the Oilers - especially if the actual Oilers team continues to wallow in the basement of the NHL.

14. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Member

It's all but confirmed at this point that OEG will be applying for an NLL franchise in 2017-18. Hopefully that will be followed by teams returning to Philly and Minnesota.

15. chrisj

chrisj New Member

Goes to show how much the NLL is a joke.

NHL fans attack Gary Bettman but he would never let a team move in this situation.

Northlands has said they've been trying to do a lease with the Rush (Urban wouldn't return his calls). Gregor said that the Oilers were interested in buying the team (Urban wouldn't return their calls).

There were plenty of options for the team to remain in Edmonton.

16. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Really.... and I hope the Wild reconsiders and gets back in. The Swarm had a decent fan base courtesy of the Arlotta's efforts. Minnesota fans should urge the Wild to reconsider - especially now given the success of Colorado and Buffalo and now Calgary's NHL ownerships of NLL teams. And, with the Oilers getting involved, that provides even more evidence that NHL ownership of NLL teams is a proven good idea. Hopefully, Phllly will do the same and the Wings faithful should urge Comcast to get involved.

17. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

if all this is true, then its not the nll sport holding back nhl investment but being partnered up with existing nll owners.

18. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you mean...

19. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

the nhl wants to own an nll franchise, but they don't want to partner up with existing nll owners.

20. roadrunner

roadrunner Member

The formula is pretty cut and dry. When you partner with a Major Sports team it just works. Calgary, Buffalo, and Colorado we all know the drill here. And another example in a another sport is the Seattle Sounders. When they partnered up with the Seahawks ST sales immediately increased. They now fill their stadium every home game.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/b/42a74cad-19e6-4038-90bd-62a12df04118

If the NLL wants to thrive and just not survive they need to partner with NHL teams that are willing to do so.