Save Calgary!!!

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Wings Forum' started by chopper, Feb 25, 2011.

1. chopper

chopper New Member

We as fans of Lacrosse and the NLL may be able to, if not save Calgary, at least keep them around for the rest of this season. if every fan of this board called Calgary and bought 2 game tickets, to their next home game, maybe just maybe they can make payroll. I don't know how to do it on Facebook, but maybe we could get a movement going, to save a great team for a great city.
    For those of you that didn't read it here is the letter from Calgary's owner.

Roughnecks may fold

By IAN BUSBY Calgary Sun

Last Updated: February 22, 2011 6:13pm

The Calgary Roughnecks are in danger of folding, as early as the middle of this season.

In sending out a passioned plea for an investor Tuesday evening, Roughnecks owner Brad Banister said the team needs an injection of cash after being late on player payroll over the weekend.

“If ever there was a time when corporate Calgary was needed to step up and help a club that has brought two North American championships to this city in just six years, the time is now,” Banister said in letter send to media.

“If immediate help is not given, it is unlikely we will be able to complete the current season.”

The Roughnecks are 5-3 at the midway point of the 2011 campaign and sit in first place in the West Division. The National Lacrosse League has dropped from 13 teams in recent years down to 10 currently.

Banister was shopping the team around the continent and had a few buyers interested in other cities but none have emerged in Calgary.

ian.busby@sunmedia.ca

twitter.com/ianbusby57

ian.busby@sunmedia.ca twitter.com/ianbusby57

TEXT OF LETTER RELEASED BY ROUGHNECKS OWNER BRAD BANISTER
    LEAGUE LEADING PRO TEAM FACES CLOSURE

Roughnecks face toughest opponent to date

Life is full of peaks and valleys. Today I am in the deepest of valleys with little hope of getting out. It is with sadness and desperation that I have to write this letter.

The Roughnecks sit on top of the West division again after the win in Edmonton this weekend. I had to do something that I have feared doing for the last ten years. I had to explain to my team that pay cheques were going to be late. The look in my eyes I can only imagine was that of a beaten dog, perhaps the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I believe I had finally given up. To walk around the dressing room and inflict that kind of burden on a young team before a divisional rival such as Edmonton was the most embarrassing and humbling thing I have ever done.

The next day, Sunday February 20th the Roughnecks hit the floor and beat a very good team which went down to the wire again. They never gave up and never once quit. It is for that reason among many that I write this desperate letter. I am not ready to quit either.

Last year, the current leaders of the National Lacrosse League’s Western Division, visited scores of schools in southern Alberta. More than 20,000 children have benefitted from lessons given by some of the best lacrosse players on the planet. We believe in this program so much, that captain Andrew McBride heads it up.

Over the past decade, the Roughnecks and the Roughnecks Foundation has raised more than $1 million for several worthy charities.

Due to the Roughnecks’ influence on minor lacrosse, more Calgary and area players than ever before are now playing at the prestigious NCAA level.

Our commitment to the community has never wavered. Apart from the activities I have just mentioned, the club has also worked with the police, fire department, the military, breast cancer awareness, Right to Play and many others.

All this will end if the club has to close its doors.

A lot of corporations have benefited from having the Roughnecks in the city. How many pops and beers have been consumed over the last ten years? How many people have taken the LRT or even cabs to and from our games? The Stampede Board has done well on parking as well as the airlines, hotels, bars etc. You get the idea the list goes on and on.

We proudly wear the crest of our city and heritage and have walked through airports in cowboy hats handing out pins in many cities across North American for the past ten years. In my belief the Roughnecks have been great ambassadors for both our sport and this city.

It is time to call out the groups that need so desperately to step up. The only revenue that this team survives on is advertising and ticket sales (suites tickets excluded). We have never reached out to the City of Calgary or Corporate Calgary in the past. When I look around the city and witness that every professional team or performing arts group of Calgary has a building or facility to use that some what gives them a chance for survival it saddens me. When I look at all the teams or groups in Calgary that have Bank sponsorship, Energy sponsors, Service company sponsorship, automobile dealerships as well as Food chains etc.

A Save our Stamps campaign rescued the local football team back in the 80s. The Flames too have had their problem years.

The City of Calgary, its citizens and the business community did not turn their backs on them when assistance was required. We ask nothing more than that for the Roughnecks.

And if ever there was a time when corporate Calgary was needed to step up and help a club that has brought two North American championships to this city in just six years, the time is now.

If immediate help is not given, it is unlikely we will be able to complete the current season.

Regardless of what happens, I would like to send a heartfelt thanks to the fans, players, staff and sponsors who have contributed to what has been a memorable ten years. It has been a pleasure working with you all.

I realize this is a very desperate letter but is all I have left. I have never tuned my back on the city I was raised in and I only hope it does not turn its back on me or this franchise.

Thank you,

Brad Banister

Owner and GM of the Calgary Roughnecks
    Calgary, AB T2H 2L8

(403) 294-9244
    caitlinb@calgaryroughnecks.com

2. chopper

chopper New Member

waiting for a call back from their ticket office. The Caitlin in the email at the ticket info should be calling back. I will let everyone know how the process goes.

3. PUNCH ME

PUNCH ME New Member

or, coffee cans sporadically spread through out the wells farg for loose change.

4. chopper

chopper New Member

just got off the phone got 2 tics for March 5 , with fees $51.07 , donated them for kids to go to the game. Very painless price is Canadian with a pretty even exchange rate. Sorry not the 5 the 19th Cagary vs Edmonton

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2011
  5. chopper

chopper New Member

look out for punch me's coffee cans Sat. night!!!:D

6. PhillySoldier

PhillySoldier Active Member

Hate to see another team lost in the league but I think its a bad investment to keep asking for people to buy tickets while saying at the same time your about to fold (and most likely not gonna get a refund)

7. PhillySoldier

How does this help Calgary? Buying ticketes for a home game helps the Wings not Calgary as far as Im aware.

8. sugarcookies83

sugarcookies83 New Member

i guess they bought the tickets through the calgary office?

9. 30seconds

30seconds Member

"How does this help Calgary? Buying ticketes for a home game helps the Wings not Calgary as far as Im aware."

Who cares its $1 SUPERPRETZEL Night!!!! :O WHATTTT!!! bring that to the ACC

10. PhillySoldier

Ha ha, got me there

11. PhillySoldier

I could be wrong, but I dont think a visiting team gets any type of split/percentage of a home teams attendance, ticket sales.

12. WINGSBABY41

WINGSBABY41 Moderator

Maybe Chop just wrote the wrong date?

13. PhillySoldier

That would make more sense if thats the case

14. PUNCH ME

PUNCH ME New Member

or, re-elect mayor "Goldie Wilson", whatever.

15. sugarcookies83

sugarcookies83 New Member

yeah i completely realized that after i posted that hahaha

16. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Never. While every other team is making the playoffs we can say we're home of $1 pretzel night. :D

17. chopper

chopper New Member

My Bad!!!

MY BAD I bought calgary vs Edmonton March 20th thru the calgary ticket office:doh:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2011
  18. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Well that was a damn nice thing to do!

I say we try and sell the place out.

19. PhillySoldier

That makes more sense... :)

20. PhillySoldier

we cant sell out are own games