Say it ain't so!

Discussion in 'Portland LumberJax Forum' started by echolynch, May 4, 2009.

1. echolynch

echolynch New Member

2. phiwings

phiwings Active Member

Does anyone else think this is the beginning of the end for the entire league?

3. echolynch

echolynch New Member

Well the AFL was doing better financially and the economy forced them to shut down for a year. Who knows? Depends on how long the recession lasts.

4. Mtn_Scott

Mtn_Scott Active Member

Ok back off from the ledge, this was rumored for weeks. There are potentially three or four other teams in trouble, other wise the league will be fine. We may only have eight teams, but it will be a healthier legue.

5. JaxFan

JaxFan New Member

Yes it is the end of the entire league. Just look at the playoff attendance and figure it out!!!

6. PdxJaxLax

PdxJaxLax New Member

Total Bummer

Well, I'm extremely disappointed, but not overly surprised. It's sad that it comes down to finances because I feel the team was great for the community. The Jax have been a wonderful addition to our Winter routine. We will certainly miss the game and all the crew there in 112.

7. silvanthalas

silvanthalas Active Member

This little lemming above needs to find a ledge as soon as possible.

Playoff attendance is really no worse than years past, you **** stain of a troll.

8. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

its been like lthat since day 1 in early rds

sorry to see your team go though

9. yowzado

yowzado New Member

it is official jaxfan, i really hate you.
    you actually make my skin crawl.
    at least there is the option of muting you on these boards so I never have to read your ugliness again.

10. yowzado

yowzado New Member

well I bought a powerball ticket! LOL if I win I will buy the team myself.

11. echolynch

echolynch New Member

+1
    I did too. i am going to buy another on the way home

12. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Well-Known Member

ding ding

13. Sweet Nuts

Sweet Nuts New Member

The demise of Portland is far from the end of the league. Take off your plaid colored glasses for once and come see a game where the arena is rocking each and every game night. We just had an owner charter buses for 300+ fans to attend a playoff game at MSG free of cost to support the team in a small market. There are other teams that sell out arenas or draw 10,000+. How can the league be judged by a few cities that have a hard time? With the exception of teams like Colorado and Calgary, western expansion has been tough for the league outside of lacrosse hotbeds.

14. Sweet Nuts

Sweet Nuts New Member

By the way....this is not in any way a shot at Portland and the majority of their fans. I don't want to see anymore teams fold or move. I would love to see the league expand correctly and stabilize because it is an amazing product when marketed effectively.

15. plaidfan

plaidfan New Member

Unfortunately so. I'm genuinely bummed. Here is the letter that was sent out to STHs. It was a good ride, I was glad to be along.

Dear LumberJax Family,

This is a hard letter for me to write, so I will get to the point.

The LumberJax will not continue to operate here in Portland. Our ownership group is faced with many different options at this point and we are doing our best to find the right one.

Over the past four years we have put our heart and soul into this team. Our mission was to bring affordable entertainment to Portland. We were prepared to lose money. In fact, we were prepared to lose a lot of money, especially in the first two years.

However, we have found ourselves losing just as much, if not more, year after year. With the economic climate the way it is, sponsorships are harder to sell, tickets are harder to sell and the overall cost of flying in players is increasing by the minute – from baggage fees to added fuel costs.

We believe in this sport, this league and this team. We are committed to doing everything we can to find an option that will allow us to stay in the Pacific Northwest.

You have been loyal and proud fans. We are truly grateful for your commitment to our team over the past four years.

Those of you who have put down deposits for the 2010 season will be contacted shortly about your refund.

There’s not a whole lot more that I can say right now as we are looking at many different avenues for the future of this franchise.

Thanks again for your support.
    Angela Batinovich, Managing Partner

16. StealthDragon

StealthDragon New Member

It's a bit of a pipe dream, but hopefully the timing of this announcement leaves enough time for some Richy Rich from Lake O to step up and pay the bills to keep the team around Portland.

This is basically what has occurred in SJ and it's worked so far. Though SJ never was in this much trouble that they made public statements that the team was moving to another location.

17. yowzado

yowzado New Member

Maybe a Trailblazer will buy us, or hey any rich person will do....

18. WingsfaninMA

WingsfaninMA New Member

Sorry Portland fans. This happens way too often in our league.

19. Pfattrax

Pfattrax New Member

It is a sad day in Portland...:(

20. boozinjedi

boozinjedi New Member

I'm really sorry to see your team and your fans go through this.
    I think that sometimes they try to run before they can walk.

I remember seeing a good number of plaid jerseys at the title game last year,Which I still think are some of the coolest ones I've ever seen!
    Hopefully they won't fold,maybe just relocate..somewhere close to you guys so maybe you can still follow the team.