Slap in the face!

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by Khawkfan, May 12, 2004.

1. Khawkfan

Khawkfan New Member

Just watching NHLPA 'be a player' on sportsnet and they are doing a piece on alex tanguay and they av's. The show starts off with the host Brett Lindros, (the smart brother who quit when he had too many concussions!!!) saying that Denver is the only city to be home to 4 professional franchises. Right away my ears perked up to hear the 4. MLB's Rockies, NBA's Nuggets, NFL's Broncos and ofcourse the Avs. WHERE THE HELL ARE THE MAMMOTH? This is a complete slap in the face to the league and the players. I think we should all let sportsnet, a network that continues to show lacrosse games on, that this is truly an error that should be made up for!! Im very upset! when will this game get the recognition it deserves!

2. Metalhead

Metalhead New Member

When did they record that "Be A Player"? If it was a couple years ago, the Mammoth didn't exist then.

3. mightymouth

mightymouth New Member

Eagles, Phillies, Sixers, Flyers, Wings, Soul, Barrage, Kixx, phantoms. Am I forgetting any?

4. Khawkfan

Khawkfan New Member

well

Im not sure when the taped aired, it seemed that the we focused on the fact that the year before the avs won the cup in bourques last year. so.... my memory is drawing blnk so im not sure what year that was.

Mighty mouth you arent forgetting any teams...

5. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Re: well

I think 2001 was Bourque's last year.

6. shawnwilliams#1

shawnwilliams#1 New Member

Old news

Well first off the tape is pretty old, i should know because the ONLY t.v channels that ever go on in my room are "the score" and sports net so i have already seen that tape many many times before, and even if it was new the people don't know what they are saying half the time anyways...and lacrosse is'nt very recognized yet either, wich really really bothers me.

7. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

MMouth, Is the Charge still around? I think there still is World Team tennis at 'Nova

8. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

The WUSA, closed up shop completely swami.

9. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

When it starts to act like a Major sport

10. Meathead25

Meathead25 New Member

MTBF> What are the behaviors this league needs to emulate to be considered a major sport?
    I know you've said time after time after time that the league is totally bush but what does it need to do now to not be considered bush?

11. thwingfan

thwingfan Active Member

Does anyone really care?

12. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

I thought the Charge had disapated, but wasn't sure. Expect a men's soccer team in the Linc's near future.

TH> the same is said by some about our Wings, although I agree with your assessment..

13. thwingfan

thwingfan Active Member

I'm just ticked that the Freedoms get more coverage than we do. Hell, Women's Pro Hoops (ABL) got more coverage here than the Wings did, they've been gone for a number of years and that still ticks me off.

14. Metalhead

Metalhead New Member

HOw many fans go to women's basketball?

15. thwingfan

thwingfan Active Member

Here, I think they averaged about 1,500 a game (that may be generous). Yet, they got full page game stories and previews like the major 4.

16. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I agree with mtbf that indoor lacrosse is not a major sport.

What will it take? Many, many things but a national TV contract on a major network (NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, ESPN) would be a start.

How does this league get a major TV contract? Teams in more major markets like New York, Chicago, Detroit, Boston, (yeah, I know some of these were tried already) that draw a good, advertiser-friendly demographic.

How does the league get into those markets? They already have a business model (NHL/NBA owners) but may need to break from that in case those targets pass on a team.

What's also needed? Enough good Canadian AND US players paid a decent wage to stock highly competitive teams in these new markets and yet keep ticket prices affordable, an agreesive marketing and PR plan, community interaction, corporate support from MAJOR advertisers locally and nationally, an expanded schedule, prime dates from the arenas they play in, $$$, consistent media support in all markets, timekeepers not deciding outcomes of games, consistent training for the refs on the correct rules of the game, etc. That's just a start.

17. mightymouth

mightymouth New Member

There were rumours of WUSA`s return in 05, but now it is doubtful, as the Barrage are now there.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2004