1. Our Privacy Policy and User Agreement have changed. By using or registering on any portion of this site, you agree to our updated User Agreement and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement.
    Dismiss Notice

So I guess if this is a brand new Wings team

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Wings Forum' started by jstraw80, Jan 25, 2018.

1. jstraw80

jstraw80 Active Member

Then banners and the past accomplishments are gone and never to be mentioned again?

2. wacklax

wacklax Member

3. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

My guess is all new banners. Just two, one for titles, one for retired numbers.

4. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

No. It's like a Charlotte Hornets and Cleveland Browns situation. They'll get their history back even though it's not technically the same franchise.

5. jstraw80

jstraw80 Active Member

Only saying because the announcement of the GM and Coach specifically says " Coach Day is excited to bring back the winning mentality in Philadelphia. Coach gives us insights on his expectations for the Wings brand and what this new franchise means to the fans."

AND also says

Welcome the first GM and Head Coach of the Philadelphia Wings"

Doesn't say returning franchise or any mention of the past anywhere.

6. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

I thought French returned the banners.

7. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

I've emailed both the league and the Wings about this and never heard back from either. I remember when the Wings left there was talk that the history was staying in Philadelphia, yet the Black Wolves included Wings statistics in the league's media guide.

8. swami24

How stupid would it be to have Jake attending Wings Games, but the franchise not being able to retire his number? Or Hollywood to come to a game and not see his banner?

9. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

I do not know about in the arena but on line it looks like New England lays claim to the titles and player records. Do they have championship banners? Have any of the retired numbers been used?

10. jstraw80

jstraw80 Active Member

This is actually quite interesting how this will play out. There is no "Philadelphia Wings" without mentioned the past accomplishments of the teams, players and coaches.

11. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

I believe Lincoln wore Marecheck’s 42.

12. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Correct. Evan Kirk also wore #35 last season.

Again, I think it's a Charlotte Hornets/Cleveland Browns situation. I believe they laid claim to anything when they originally moved to Baltimore and New Orleans (which wasn't much of anything), but the history went back to the original teams when Browns v2 and Hornets v2 returned.

13. swami24

FWIW, the Bwolves do list the Wings statistics (as the Wings) from all the NLL years, kn their web pages, statistics drop down.

14. swami24

Ran into Fench tonight. I asked him about the new logo, which he said he really liked. Unfortunately I didn't think to ask about the history.:oops:
    Also,ran into Nick Schroeder. Seems lkkemthere is always some ex Wings player there.

15. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Active Member

Or for hollywood's number to be hanging in New England. Hopefully they didn't botch this.

16. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

17. jstraw80

jstraw80 Active Member

I hope and pray they figure this out and everything comes back to Philly

18. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Active Member

THE ARDMORE AARDVARK DOESN'T NEED THIS BUSH LEAGUE TO RECOGNIZE THIS WINGS SQUAD AS A CONTINUATION OF THE OLD WINGS, BECAUSE THESE WINGS WILL ALWAYS BE THE OLD WINGS IN MY HEART.

19. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Active Member

20. swami24

There is a playoff preview on the NLL page. Click on the East preview, and they have a rundown for each team. The list a category: Championships.. under Blackwolves, it says None.