1. As of May 24, 2018 our Privacy Policy and User Agreement have been updated.
    Dismiss Notice

Sorry Chicago....

Discussion in 'Chicago Shamrox Forum' started by Slinger 120, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Slinger 120

Slinger 120 New Member

As a former season ticket holder to the Sting....I know this sucks.

I have a replay of a Shamrox/Bandits game on in my office right now as I enjoy a beer and look over the threads. It is a shame because this franchise never had a chance....

The Shamrox time was way too brief. I had the pleasure of taking in the only game they played here in AZ....now both teams are gone.

Even if you are a box fan first...support the Chicago Machine in the MLL. They have a good young team that is up and coming.

Finally, my fear is for other teams: SJ and
    NY (pick a place already)

Fold as well. Maybe not now...but eventually.

2. raptorspike

raptorspike Member

Thanks Slinger. I would have preferred a quick death, much like the New Orleans VooDoo in the AFL. No one knew the team was dead until the day it happened. Coaches showed up to work only to find out they weren't employed anymore. This long drawn out thing was hurtful. It's a shame our owners couldn't have cared less.

I would take in a Machine game, but it's an hour plus to get there. The 'Rox played 10 minutes away. I at least have the Wolves and Storm here to look forward to (Rush are still iffy as to if their season will go through this year)

3. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Don't be afraid to make the drive (or flight) north to Minneapolis to catch a game....

4. raptorspike

raptorspike Member

Thanks for the invite Vin. But I'm a recent college grad. What little money I have right now goes mostly to my student loans and gas, with very little left for fun things.

5. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Active Member

i dont think chicago failed. id go as far to say that they wernt even given a shot. ill bet 95% of people who actually live in chicago didnt know the team existed or dyed. ill bet they never knew they had a team. id say hoffman estates failed, and in doing so killed any future expansion team from ever considering anything so stupid as playing almost an hour outside of your projected market. no chicago has a clean slate and could be a hue success if they played downtown. hoffman estates residents who live next to sears center should be felt sorry for. theyre the ones who failed

6. Iannucci#23fan

Iannucci#23fan New Member

I have to agree with millwasbetter, on the fact if chicago played downtown in chicago instead they would have drown a better crowd, the whole hoffman estaes thing was a horrible idea, and a failure from the begining. The Real Chicago market is in the city near all the bars, and true die hard sport fans. I never heard of hoffman estates until the roc got there, and now my trip to chicago is done. The team should have sold the team to the blackhawk owners, atleast then they could have sold tickets half price to hockey ticket goers with there stub, this would have been a great to attrack fans. Chicago is a great city to have a NLL team and they should be given a second chance. Sorry MILLwasbetter, the NLL IS better.

7. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I agree with both of you. Chicago wasn't given enough of a shot and the United Center would be better simply because of population.

It is too bad that the Blackhawks - who are now doing well, I believe - didn't sign up. However, given the current economy, I can't blame them for not wanting to pick up another losing asset. At this point, many investors need short term ROIs. Flipping a franchise or not, they can't sustain prolonged losses.

8. Iannucci#23fan

Iannucci#23fan New Member

I guess you are right however i don't think the nll is a loseing asset due to a few things, one being it priced just right so everyone can enjoy the sport,next the players for the sport not money, and finally it has all of the elements of hockey and more in 4qtrs of action rather then 3 periods, and gives you the hunger of more b/c of short schedule, its an addiction once you get hooked.

9. XcelLaX

XcelLaX New Member

Was Allstate Arena ever considered as a home for the 'Rox? That might be more suitable for a Shamrox v2.0 franchise than United Center, at least in terms of landing suitable game dates, especially if the Chicago Rush and/or the AFL as a whole go under. I know that's not downtown but it's a heckuva lot closer than Hoffman Estates.

10. WildHeadTatt

WildHeadTatt Active Member

I'll extend an invitation to any Chicago fans that want to come to St. Paul to watch a Swarm game. As of right now I have two extra tickets to all Swarm home games with the exception of April 4 and January 10 (saving those for Vin if he wants them). You can have the tickets for free. Just let me know if you are coming and we can arrange a place to meet before the game.

11. dtj

dtj New Member

I'm fairly sure that the Swarm faithful can come up with free tickets to most any game, but don't wait til the last minute.

12. Qball319

Qball319 New Member

As both a Sting and Shamrox season ticket holder, I just don't think i'll be seeing anymore LAX anytime soon. Just don't get why everywhere I go gets the shaft. Well maybe someday I'll get to see the rox back in the Windy city.