Spectrum Sports channel goes dark

Discussion in 'Rochester Knighthawks Forum' started by Vin, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

http://www.thelcn.com/lcn01/spectrum-sports-channel-goes-dark-20171009

Spectrum Sports channel goes dark
    By THE LCN STAFF

PUBLISHED: MONDAY, OCTOBER 9, 2017 AT 1:17 AM

Spectrum Sports, a all-sports channel in Rochester, has ceased broadcasting.

The cable channel, which launched in December 2006 as Time Warner Cable SportsNet, was shutdown by Charter Spectrum.

Viewers who turn to cable channel 26 or 323 see a screen with the message: “The service has ceased operation in your area and is no longer available.”

A similar channel in the Albany area ended in June.

Rochester’s all-sports channel continued to provide programming through September due to obligations with the Rochester Red Wings and New York Mets, according to Rochester Business Journal.

The channel went dark Oct. 2.

The move leaves Rochester Institute of Technology men’s hockey and the Rochester Knighthawks of the National Lacrosse League searching for new television homes.

Spectrum will continue to television live high school football games on Friday nights on the cable company’s 24-hour news channel, Spectrum News. There is a news and weather update at halftime. The regular all-news programming resumes following the game.

2. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Not surprising since Pegula put all his TV eggs into the MSG basket.

3. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Interesting. Although I don't think many Knighthawks games were on channel 26 in recent years. The last one I really recall was when they picked up the TSN feed for a playoff game against the Rock in 2015.

4. k-hawksfan33

k-hawksfan33 Active Member

RIP TWCS. It's a shame theres no channel dedicated to local sports anymore.

5. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

When I lived in Glenville NY (near Albany), I used to enjoy watching Time-Warner Sports Channel because they'd often have a KHawks game. For instance, I believe that the 2007 season opener away against defending champion Colorado was on. That was actually an important game that season. It was the first of only two losses the KHawks would face that amazing season.

6. AmericanRockFan

Before I went away to grad school and NLLTV became an option, I used to enjoy watching the occasional Knighthawks game on TWCSN since it was the only way to watch a game without actually attending one. That was also before I befriended a handful of people on here and had people to go to games with, so I really enjoyed the novelty of watching games from the comfort of my own house.

7. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

How the Rochester Business Journal is reporting it... Some good news...

http://rbj.net/2017/10/05/spectrum-sports-channel-ceases-operations/

Spectrum Sports channel ceases operations
    By: Rochester Business Journal Staff Kevin Oklobzija October 5, 2017

Spectrum Sports, the most recent descendant of Time Warner Cable’s original sports network in Rochester, no longer exists.

Charter Spectrum has pulled the plug on programming for the all-sports channel, which launched as Time Warner Cable SportsNet in December 2006.

Viewers who turn to channel 26 and/or 323 are greeted by a screen with the message: “The service has ceased operation in your area and is no longer available.”

Programming on Spectrum Sports in the Albany area ended in June. Rochester’s all-sports channel continued to provide programming through September due to obligations with the Rochester Red Wings and New York Mets.

The final Mets telecast on the network was Saturday. The channel went dark on Sunday.

That means Rochester Institute of Technology men’s hockey and the Rochester Knighthawks of the National Lacrosse League are searching for new television homes, and the Rochester Red Wings soon will be forced to do so, should they decide to maintain a TV presence.

Spectrum continues to televise live high school football games on Friday nights on the cable company’s 24-hour news channel, Spectrum News (channel 9). There is a news and weather update at halftime, and the usual all-news format resumes following the game.

Local collegiate and professional teams that have televised games with the cable network in past years must look elsewhere, however.

The hockey season for RIT begins on Oct. 14 against Northeastern University. That’s the annual Brick City Homecoming game played at Blue Cross Arena at the Community War Memorial. In previous years, all home games were televised on the Spectrum/Time Warner sports channel.

The Red Wings televised 25 baseball games from Frontier Field on Spectrum Sports this past season. General manager Dan Mason said on Tuesday that the team hasn’t made a decision on whether they’ll seek a new TV home.

“We would like to, but it has to be the right situation, and cost has a lot to do with it,” Mason said. “Our outlook on TV is that it should generate revenue and it should basically be a three-hour commercial for Red Wings baseball and the fan experience.”

The Knighthawks are close to finalizing TV plans for the upcoming season, which begins Dec. 9.

Rochester Americans hockey telecasts moved to MSG Network last season.

8. AmericanRockFan

Some thoughts here:
    • Mason has the right idea. I think any minor league team that broadcasts home games needs to look at it as a commercial for their club, but I'd like it more if they would broadcast away games. Maybe it doesn't make that much of a difference but I'd prefer a team show away games but not home games because then it encourages people to attend home games. Now having said that, I don't think that many people opt to stay home and watch instead of attending the game live in person but I've always been an advocate for only showing away games on tv at the minor league level (at least if you're choosing between home games and away games because ideally you'd show all of them).
    • I'm really curious to see who picks up the Knighthawks. I'd be surprised if 7, 8, 10 or 13 did, and I really can't see the local PBS affiliate showing this, so..... YNN it is??
    • That Amerks line is a little misleading because barley any Amerks games were even on tv last year, but the ones that were on tv were on MSG, which I believe was only a handful of home games.

9. k-hawksfan33

k-hawksfan33 Active Member

If Knighthawks got a few games on 7,8,10, or 13 I think that could lead to a decent boost in attendance

10. AmericanRockFan

It would certain make their team seem like the most legitimate in Rochester if they could get on one of the main public networks. I'm just not sure how likely that is though.