Staats or Cloutier?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Wings Forum' started by BenMitchell, Aug 25, 2018.

1. BenMitchell

BenMitchell Member

After listening to Paul Day being interviewed during the MSL game, it looks like the Wings will either get Staats or Cloutier. Doesn't look like Robinson is on their radar. So, who would you like to fall to number 2?

2. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

i would love staats. but sd will take him unless styres offers up jammer for him. philly is righty strong so cloutier would offset a need on a potentially top rate attck.

3. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I still think Buffalo puts an offer together to get Staats and they have the combo of players and picks to make it work. San Diego could like drop only 2 spots in this year's draft and still get a really good player in the draft plus 1 or 2 guys off of Buffalo's roster.

I would be surprised to see Styres give up Jamieson (a blood relative) and more to get Staats.

Philly would be more than happy with Cloutier.

4. fandit

fandit Active Member

NEITHER! :eek:
    Crowley is more valuable to the Wings than any player in this draft. His ties to the past, skill and living in the city make him too valuable to pass on. He would be the focus of the advertising and media campaigns. All things a "new" guy wouldn't offer.

Tom Wersderfer likes this.
  5. BigDave

BigDave Active Member

^^^Tell us how you really feel.

fandit likes this.
  6. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

Let Crowley rot in New England.

7. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

I am just happy that there seems to be a talent at 2, since the talk has been all Staats

8. chuckster

Crowley will be 34 when the season starts. Cloutier will be 23. That alone would make it sensible to go with Cloutier at #2 instead of trading the pick for Crowley.

And who says Cloutier couldn't be the focus of media and advertising campaigns???

9. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

You wouldn’t take a guaranteed 45-50 goal player
    I see you haven’t quit drinking

10. Hollywood42

Crowley is 29.....

11. IAmDroot

IAmDroot Guest

While I'd love to have Crowley back, the RH attack is already pretty stocked and the LH side is pretty barren, I'd take Cloutier especially when you look at the numbers he put up over the summer both in MSL and MLL. He had just over 1/2 the points (26g 14a) of the record setting season Rob Pannell had in only 6 games. Also added 32pts (21g-11a) in 8 games on the worst team in MSL.

12. chuckster

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  13. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

Whether or not Buffalo ends up with Staats, I expect them to be active with at least the number 4 pick. With the top 3 players being offensive players we could in theory trade down (especially if Gilray has travel issues).

14. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

15. chuckster

The last mock draft mentioned that Gilray was working at Whittier College in California as a lacrosse coach but he's not on the list of either the men's or women's team.

http://www.wcpoets.com/sports/mlax/coaches/index
    http://www.wcpoets.com/sports/wlax/coaches/index

Gilray has been playing for Peterborough in the MSL playoffs. If he is back East and McKay is East, those would be 2 really solid picks to put on defense at #3 and #4 if a deal can't be made to move to #1 for Staats. I might be OK with not getting Staats if he gets drafted by the Seals and decides to play in San Diego (it would be easier to deal with not getting Staats if he's in the West and you don't have to play him 3-4 times a year) but you know Curt Styres will make a play for that pick if it's on the table.

16. Hollywood42

17. Hollywood42

Gotta go to the team bio not Wikipedia lol

18. chuckster

Crowley looks so happy in that photo. LMAO.

But it's Wikipedia so go ahead and fix it.

19. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

For sure if Gilray is available, I'm happy with him and Mckay.

20. BenMitchell

BenMitchell Member

Where exactly did you hear the Whittier coaching news?