Styres Moving the Team?

Discussion in 'Rochester Knighthawks Forum' started by UncleBenny, Jun 11, 2018.

1. UncleBenny

UncleBenny Member

I think this is all pure speculation but I figured if anyone had more info from a solid source, it would be someone around here.

The Bob Matthews column(scroll down a little):

https://wham1180.iheart.com/featured/bob-matthews-column/content/2018-06-08-matthews-buffalo-most-cursed-sports-city/

What's the deal? This seems to be coming from nowhere to me, but it's hard to say it would be shocking giving the current sports culture in this city, and it would be extremely disappointing if true.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Questions:
    1. Why would Styres move the team to Halifax? I've been under the impression that Halifax would get an expansion team, not a relocated team
    2. Why would the Pegulas give a **** about the Knighthawks?

Of course, we've all speculated on here that Styres could move the team, but I feel like if it was going to happen someone on here would've leaked something by now.

3. UncleBenny

UncleBenny Member

Had the same reaction, Halifax as an expansion was a rumor, why would Styres move there though? If anything, why wouldn't he keep the team closer to home.

Pegulas don't even care about the Bandits, barely mention the Amerks which they already own, why would they buy the Hawks? No way.

4. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

This is interesting on many levels but the biggest thing I thought of is -- since when does Bob Matthews give a rats arse about the Knighthawks?

And the kicker is this statement -- "Styres could acquire an NLL expansion team and play at Six Nations in Ontario. It is a relatively small arena but the team would have a passionate following."

Seriously??? That "arena" in Six Nations might hold 2,000 at the max. There is no conceivable way he could make any money there even IF the league allowed him to move the team there. Anyone with half a brain and 10 minutes of time on Google could easily figure that out.

I guess Styres could do what Bruce Urban did in Edmonton and move a really good team to a new city (Halifax) to see if he finds more financial success there. It wouldn't be out the list of possibilities.

But this whole thing sounds like Matthews is getting trolled to a great extent. My bet is that it's the doofus who started the Cody Jamieson Isn't Good Anymore thread. :p

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  5. AmericanRockFan

Not to mention, they can't buy the Knighthawks either since they own the Bandits, and I'd have a hard time believing that they'd sell their Buffalo NLL team in order to buy the Rochester NLL team.

6. GoKHawksGo

GoKHawksGo Active Member

Bob is actually a fan and has supported the team over the years.

Don't know where this rumor came from but I can't imagine Curt moving the team somewhere that is not a reasonable drive from Six Nations. I wouldn't be surprised if this came from a bunch of old timer Amerks fans. There are quite a few who are jealous of the Knighthawks success and would like them to disappear so the only game in town in the winter is the Amerks

And is that new by-law true that allows the same ownership group to own 2 teams? Seems like a terrible idea.

7. AmericanRockFan

Old-timer Amerks fans have to be the most miserable people I have ever met in my entire life. They've practically killed my joy of attending Amerks games.

RockStar likes this.
  8. chuckster

I recall some other Hawks fans over the last few years complaining he wasn't covering them much if at all at the D&C.

If you look at what a reasonable drive from Six Nations would be, that would be another arena in the GTA (not going to happen), Hamilton (it would have happened by now if it was going to happen), London ON (intriguing) or Detroit (only another 45 minutes or longer than the drive to Rochester). Where else could he move the team to that would be a reasonable drive? Erie PA? Cleveland? Ottawa?

I think if Halifax wants a team and has a good sized arena in place, they could make it financially reasonable for Styres. Heck, a better lease deal got the Swarm to move from Minnesota to Georgia and when it comes to business guys like Arlotta and Styres, money talks and BS walks.

9. AmericanRockFan

Really, if Styres is going to move the team, I see him moving them to a city in Ontario. Cleveland is a reasonable drive, but I can't see him getting a sweet deal to play there. I could see a city like Windsor or London being able to woo him, but again, I just don't see it happening. I feel like if the Knighthawks were going to move, it would've happened by now.

chuckster likes this.
  10. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Hamilton seems the likeliest, but, is a serious longshot to have higher paid attendance than Rochester, so....... You also figure if he was going to do this, he would have done it four or five years ago.

Detroit is a little bit intriguing, but, it's a crapshoot at best. Decent attendance at one point, possibility for same again, but, doubt big revenues as a tenant.....only Red Wing ownership.

London is an interesting thought, and considering this two-bit league has resigned itself to Langley, Duluth, Saskatoon and Uncasville. Again, though, I would be surprised if you could get paid attendance higher by enough to make this sort of worth the bother.

Running a team in Halifax is a far bigger pain in the arse than any of the other three cities in the conversation

11. chuckster

He may not have to get it higher to make money if London gives him a better lease deal than what he gets in Rochester. Budweiser Gardens has a capacity of 9k for hockey and in Rochester, he's averaging around 6,800 the last 2 seasons with just under 1,800 in season tickets. Looking at the London Knights schedule last year, they played 1 home game on a Saturday between January and the end of the season.

If he could do that same in London with a better lease deal, he might be better off. But again, if London was in the cards, he would have moved the team there by now.

12. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

Kitchener was another option that popped into my head, but I agree there wouldn't be much of a change in revenue, so why bother? London is a hard sell lacrosse-wise. The only major activity in the last decade was the World Field championships which were a major financial bust. They do have a minor lacrosse association that may generate some interest but I'm not sure the entire fanbase would make the jump from Rochester, so attendance could be an issue out of the gate.

13. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Oooooo baseless rumors! Fun!

14. chuckster

The Kitchener arena (7k or so) is smaller than the one in London and Kitchener might encroach too much on the Rock's territory. London wouldn't be as much of reach into Rock territory. But, as I said previously, if he gets a better lease deal than what he's getting in Rochester and can bring in the same ticket revenue, he might get further ahead.

15. GoKHawksGo

GoKHawksGo Active Member

16. CrocodileLax

17. CrocodileLax

That's my point -- London's not a great lacrosse town (I lived there for several years and still visit annually). I'm not sure they'd draw anything resembling good numbers without heavy papering; it's possible/likely they draw even fewer paying fans than they do in Rochester, negating the purpose of the move.

I haven't done a proper market analysis and will happily be proven wrong for a purely selfish reason. A new Canadian team would give me someone to cheer for while I boycott the Rock for employing Blaine Manning :) Pretty sceptical about their long-term survival though.

RockStar likes this.
  18. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I just did a google search for Knighthawks moving to Halifax, and all it came up relevant with was this thread, plus a 2017 reddit thread about some insider leaking that HFX gets a 2019 expansion team.

didn't find those ESPN Rochester guys discussion yet.....anyone hear their 3pm bit?