team america = team toronto?!

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by dougm, Oct 13, 2016.

1. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

after trading for Rabil, signing Schreiber and McArdle, Rock just signed Cornell's Connor Buczek.
    This is Toronto, right, as in Toronto, Canada?

2. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Well, seeing that American Auston Matthews scored 4 in his Leafs debut, maybe there's something to Americans playing for Toronto teams?

3. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I'm intrigued, but, 'signing' at this stage just means they want a first look.

With CLaX folding, and the corresponding glut of younger/cheaper/more local depth talent available to bring to tryouts, I'm skeptical that any of them make the team.

4. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

my bet would be on schreiber

5. roadrunner

roadrunner Member

Buckzek came out and played with our Box club a couple of times when he was home from school. Good guy. Would like to see him get a shot with TO.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  6. rocklax#1

rocklax#1 Member

who cares where anyone is from, if they help the team win, so be it. if we lose, its not because they are from Canada, USA, Holland or wherever.

7. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I'll echo the sentiment about not caring where the guys are from.......if these Yanks are better than the best local depth players Sanderson can find, I'll welcome any or all of them.

This is probably a gut and rebuild year anyway, so, if you're going to take one or two serious athletes and start a development project with them, this might be a great year to do it.

8. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

never thought otherwise.

9. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

definitely an A level righty attacker.

looking forward to see whether he's even better next season with a full year pro experience.

mixed on McArdle.....he is seriously athletic and plays with lots of energy and hustle, but, I see the ball dying in his stick too often. i also saw a number of stupid retaliation penalties.

Still, in the absence of a local lefty free agent, maybe you stick with this project.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  10. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

kiernan plays with a chip on his shoulder on the mll. but then he is often the lone threat for the florida launch so battling double and triple teams is in his blood. tom plays with the share the wealth ohio machine which had this offball attack. tom was both the go from and go to guy and with his size, i always thought he could play in the nll. kiernan will get it and i would not let him go.

11. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I like McArdle more than I like MacDonald, so I'd definitely want to keep McArdle around. Really, other than a rather poor game in Buffalo back in February, I've liked what I've seen out of McArdle this season.

12. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

MacDonald needs more development or, maybe just to be left exposed.

I'm just not sure McArdle brings more than Evans as the third lefty (which is me saying I think Reinholdt is the second).......as mentioned elsewhere, the lefties did not have a stellar night.....outscored by the D men and, until halfway through the third outscored by both Merrill and Edwards.

13. AmericanRockFan

I think Reinholdt has established himself as the second best lefty on this team right now. I agree with your McArdle/Evans comparison. I prefer Evans in the lineup over McArdle, but to me they're close enough that I'm okay with McArdle replacing Evans in the lineup on occasion. But overall, I usually prefer to have Evans in there instead.

For what it's worth though, I wouldn't complain too much about the likes of B. Merrill and Edwards outscoring the lefties for most of the game because the transition was on fire at times on Saturday night and those two had some glorious scoring opportunities that were too good to pass up.

14. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

blackwolves Achilles heel is their transition game.

15. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

With Doyle and Sanderson both gone, the O to D transition has usually been a brighter spot in Toronto this season.

they have been stung a few times when someone ripped an ill advised rocket when most of his linemates were caught deep, but, they are getting back/getting off a whole lot better this year.

Used to dread 1sts and 3rds in arenas where the visiting lefties had the extra long run to the bench......just about guaranteed two transition goals against.

16. AmericanRockFan

It's been a day/night difference. If anything this year, I think there's been times where the defense is too slow getting off of the floor which has allowed the other team's defense to beat the Rock's offense out onto the floor.

17. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

The transition game on sat was fun to watch