Tebow, the baseball version

Discussion in 'Off-topic Forum' started by swami24, Jun 20, 2018.

1. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

I went to a double A baseball game in Trenton, and the away team was the Mets. You will surprised to know, Tebow mania still is rampant. There were plenty of Mets Tebow jersey, anlong with Univ of Fla, and Broncos. He received huge ovations, and chatter from the fans was constant. He didn't directly respond, but was smiling at the comments. fyi, he was 1 for 3, with a walk and 2 runs. The home team crushed his, 15 to 5.

2. swami24

Oh....and they were selling his tshirts in the home teams club store!!!! I saw some one take one for purchase. When is the last time that happened?? Michael Jordan?

3. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

The Rochester Red Wings sold shirts of Stephen Strasburg, and they might have done it for Bryce Harper too, when they visited Rochester as members of the Syracuse Chiefs.

4. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

The Trenton Thunder are sellouts. I received a free Reading Phillies hat once as a giveaway when I went to a game there a few years ago.

Christians are largely lunatics, so that's why Tebow mania is still a thing. We went to a game in Binghamton back in April, and the gift shop was embarrassing. Not sure when they're going to give up on this guy. He's their worst every day player, and has been since he entered the league at mid level A ball.

5. AmericanRockFan

You seem a tad bitter. He's not their worst everyday player, but he is in the bottom half. I went in their gift shop back in May, and it wasn't anything that I didn't expect it to be. Some people love Tebow, so they're gonna shill Tebow merch.

I am a little surprised to see the Tebow experiment has lasted this long though. If I had been forced to make a bet, I would've expected it to last only the 2017 season. It'll be interesting to see if this continues into 2019.

6. Wings-4-Life

Batting average he's 7th out of 8 (the catcher being worse).

HR's he's also 7th, as well as total bases. He has no speed, and he also leads the team in strikeouts with 78. The next closet on the team has 58. That's insane for a guy with no power. He's absolutely the worst every day player on the team.

7. AmericanRockFan

He's the worst in 1 of the three categories you cited. He's the 7th or 8th best everyday player.

8. Wings-4-Life

There are only 8 everyday players on a baseball team. 7 if you don't count the catcher, who usually gets off twice a week......so...... do that math.

9. AmericanRockFan

In the National League, there are 8 everyday players. In the AL and the minors, there are 9. You do the math: 9 - 8 = 1, meaning at least one player on the Rumble Ponies regular lineup is worse than him.

10. Wings-4-Life

That's in the extremely rare event a minor league team uses the same DH every day, which they don't. I'm just going off stats. There is no player on that team with a majority of at bats that's worse than Tebow. And even if you're saying that's he's the second worst player on the team, that's reason enough that this is all a charade. Any other player that isn't a top prospect would have been out of baseball by this point.

11. Wings-4-Life

I'm also not sure if you're new to baseball, but a lot of teams rotate players via a platoon.

It's very common to see a team with only 6-ish everyday players.

12. AmericanRockFan

A lot of teams have a regular player in the DH spot, they just rotate him between DH and his normal role. The Bisons have practically rotated Danny Jansen and Reese McGuire between C and DH all season.

You're making it sound like the guy is hitting .150 in AA. He's putting up numbers that are good enough to keep a job in AA, but he's not doing well enough to reach the Majors.

I think you're the one who's new to baseball. It's cute when you try to act like you're smarter than me when I've forgotten more than you know. In the meantime, I hope you take the Philly Fanatic's ***** out of your mouth.

13. Wings-4-Life

Will do, ARF! Or are you RockyMaivia today?

14. AmericanRockFan

I'm as much "RockyMaivia" as you are "AGuidon14"

15. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Tebow is meh

16. Wings-4-Life

That's not what you told me in Rochester?? Unless you decided to lie about something so stupid...

17. AmericanRockFan

Not sure what I told you in Rochester o_O Then again, you were probably hammered and living in your own reality and lying yourself.

18. swami24

When I go to Thunder games, I sit in the front front, inside the opposing batting circle, so I get to see players expressions. I will say that for a guy toiling in AA at 30, he his having fun. He cracked a lot of smiles at comments from just behind him. He also did not have a good night in the field, he misplayed 2 balls.

Another thing you'd only see in minor league ball. Their pitcher took a hard shot off of his foot in the first. He stayed in and it did not go well. 10-0, in the bottom of the 4th, with 80 pitches logged. They send the pitcher out again. 15-6 final. The food was great too.

19. swami24

AA is where they develop pitchers. They carry only about 13-15 position players, with 2 catchers that is 4 -5 bench fielders, and one is the DH.

20. Wings-4-Life

Foods usually are good at minor league parks. I'm going to games in Durham, Kannapolis, and Charlotte next week. I'm excited for what BBQ options they may have.