the best clutch shutdown defense that nobody talks about

Discussion in 'Georgia Swarm Forum' started by dougm, May 28, 2017.

1. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

over a 60 minute time frame, the rush have the best defense but if you were not watching, and few do in georgia, one of the better if not the best shut down defenses in crunch time are the georgia swarm. during the regular season, the swarm gave up one more goal than the rush did so what do i look for? defense when it matters. i look at 4th quarter defense and the swarm gave up 10 fewer goals in the final time frame. everybody says offense, offense and offense but the defense, in front of a resurging mike poulin, is almost just as good without the headlines. crepsinek, ranagan, belisle, sellars, and stouros may not be the most physical group but do they have quick sticks and feet. you couple that with the a transition unit that can play on the back end with macintosh, white, cole, tuuton, noble and oconnor, that deserves some props. i love watching their offense but i have complete respect for their defense.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  2. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Rush have the Cup experience edge over the Swarm. I think the Swarm has the better O.....should be fun to see if in 2017, defense and experience prevails.

3. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Philly fans will love tough defense at home in 2019.

dougm likes this.
  4. unspoken

unspoken Member

I think you mean Long Island fans and 2018.

5. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Member

THE ARDMORE AARDVARK CANNOT WAIT TO SEE THIS DEFENSE ON THE LOCAL CARPET IN A CITY NEAR YOU SOON.

6. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Detroit or Montreal, pls.....both fun and easy road trips.

7. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Member

BUT DO THEY HAVE CARPET FOR THE ARDMORE AARDVARK TO DEEP CLEAN?

8. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

9 first half goals given up, cut that to 5 in the second half.

9. chuckster

The Rush D looked tired in the 4th quarter. I guess chasing around that young Swarm O all over the floor will do that to a team.

10. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

what I have seen from the swarm's offense is that they initiate the contact, take the bump to create separation and then shoot around the screen.
    Art.

11. unspoken

unspoken Member

Their forwards actually forecheck and fight for loose balls rather than having everyone run to the bench within two seconds of the shot being taken. Not afraid to play D if they have to.

dougm likes this.
  12. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

the untold story this year has been the swarm's defense.

13. Gravedigger

Gravedigger Member

The thing is that some of the Swarm forwards could probably play as full time defensemen if necessary, Lyle Thompson being the most obvious. Arguably the best defensive season for a scoring champion ever.

14. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

I wonder how many Swarm fans will greet the team at the airport?

15. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Member

The Ardmore Aardvark wonders how many of those who are waiting for the team at the airport aren't related to the Thompson family.

16. chuckster

I guess you could say the Swarm D played clutch at moments in games when it mattered but they did give up 14 to the Rush twice. Still, props to the Swarm for holding Matthews to 0 goals in game 2.

17. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

Which airport?

I think most of these guys will fly from Sask to Toronto and ground transport the rest of the way home......

Mr Boo likes this.
  18. chuckster

I don't think many of the Swarm lived in the metro Atlanta area. Staats, Shayne Jackson and Jeremy Thompson are on the Atlanta Blaze roster so maybe they do but I think they were running practices out of ILA or TRAC at one point.

19. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Member

The Ardmore Aardvark didn't even know the Atlanta Blaze existed until just now....