The future....?

Discussion in 'Anaheim Storm Forum' started by Vin, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

You can't help but wonder if Joe Tsai's ownership of a San Diego team might bode well for eventually moving up the coast again and getting good owners for the NLL in both greater LA and the Bay Area/Sacramento.

Too bad the Sharks didn't stick with the Stealth a decade+ ago.
    Maybe they and the Kings might get on-board as the league moves forward.

2. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Has to be in the big long term plans, but I still doubt it

3. BIG E NY

BIG E NY Member

I would say it'd be San Francisco over SJ or Sac. The Warriors ownership has been mentioned a few times with a brand new arena opening for the 2019-20 season. I don't see a team in Anaheim again but I'd keep an eye on LA. The Clippers are trying to build their own arena in Inglewood that could use another tenant or opening a spot at the Staples Center.

4. I'm not totally sure the Kings are interested. They already own the Kings, Lakers, Sparks, AHL's Ontario Reign and the G League's South Bay Lakers, as well as a whole host of other teams across the world, as well as manage arenas. I just don't see them interested in something that is not directly related to their core products. Besides, Staples Centre is way too full for another winter/spring tenant. I mean when my Kings went on their Cup run in 2012, I believe it was, over the course of a Saturday/Sunday, Staples had a Lakers game, a Kings playoff game and a Clippers game. That happens more often then you'd think too. A lot of times the Lakers game is preceded by a concert the Friday night too. If the Clippers do move out of Staples Centre, it would potentially open up some dates for something. But knowing AEG, it would likely just mean more concerts.

IF and I mean a big if AEG was interested in a NLL team, I would suspect it would play out of the under 10,000 seat Citizens Business Bank Arena in Ontario. The Reign have one of the best attendances in all of minor league hockey, so it is possible they would take to a NLL team, even if they pretended and called it Los Angeles, like the LFL does. I would think that since the Forum has reverted back to being an arena from a megachurch, that perhaps they might be looking for a tenant. I am not sure who owns it off the top of my head, but I know it is largely used as a concert tour rehearsal facility. But I believe the megachurch took out the scoreboard, so an NLL team would have to buy one. I am not sure anyone wants to invest in a scoreboard for an arena built in 1967. I have never been in the Forum, but back when the Kings played there fans complained about how dumpy it was. I can't imagine that without any major money tenants since 1999, that a lot of work has been done to upgrade the arena. If anything, when the megachurch went in, it may have even further eroded the capabilities for it to be used as a sports facility.

I suspect if Joe Tsai thought he could get either decent dates at Staples Centre or the Forum was useable, he likely wouldn't have put the team in San Diego. Much like the push for a team in New York, I suspect the NLL would have preferred a team in Los Angeles, rather than San Diego. LA helps with the potential for TV, San Diego not so much.

5. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever thought about the Ducks looking to get another tenant for the Honda Center? But nonetheless, the smaller venue in Ontario is probably more ideal.

6. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I just wanted to mention that Joe Tsai's family lives in La Jolla, the wealthy SD suburb where the announcement last week was made. This is likely the #1 reason the team is in San Diego.