The Future

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by rocklax#1, Dec 25, 2017.

1. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

There is not a ton of natives in the league in general considering the roots of the game, 18 seems small. As the league contracted things have gotten more competitive. Also players who are playing NCAA ball seem to be better equipped with when they come into the NLL (not always the case, but guys coming out of college tend to be in great shape/phenomenal athletes). Anecdotally I don't see as many native players breaking through (Thompsons a side) and making an impact in NCAA, unlike there Canadian counterparts where this is occurring more frequently. I'm sure there are lots of factors for this.

Bandits: 2 on the practice roster (Abrams & Harris)
    Swarm: 9 on the active (M Thompson, L Thompson, B Hill, J Thompson, Williams, W Hill, Staats, Brown & Powless)
    Blackwolves: 3 on the active (Bomberry, Oakes, Jamieson)
    Knighthawks: 3 on the active, 1 on the practice (Goodleaf, Smith, Jamieson & Powless)
    Rush: 1 on the active (Thompson)

Any I missed?

2. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Shattler sometimes gets overlooked because he is not Iroquois, but rather Ojibwa, I think.

Rush have (at least) two.

somewhat amazing that one team has basically half of the league's total count!

3. RockStar

And, as two expansion teams come in, and Buffalo, Toronto, and Rochester each lose a couple of bodies to expansion, plus the new teams needing depth bodies, you probably see 5-10 more on-the-cusp guys finding NLL jobs

4. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

Great points made here -- the most promising Six Nations juniors ended up elsewhere because the Rock don't focus on the drafts and role players often come from Orangeville. That analysis doesn't explain why Native free agents don't get signed by the Rock: my guess is that top players worth signing are still young and haven't become free agents yet and more veteran players prefer to stick with other teams that have historically embraced Native players. Johnny Powless has ended up with the Oakville Rock in the summer -- I wonder if that means he may catch Toronto's eye in a year or two when his NLL contract becomes available.

Anyway, I hope eyes open to rez talent. Lots of current players in the Arrows system show great promise as role players and Six Nations is about a 90 minute drive from the ACC (traffic gods be willing). Why not have a look?

5. RockStar

Yeah, over the years, top free agents hailing from Six Nations just never landed in Toronto.

I am certain, with some, there was interest from Toronto.....I mean, how do you not want most of these guys to come in, help your team, and drum up support from a very interested community a little over an hour West ?

I guess, all you can offer is league maximum plus bonus money, and a chance to win (most years). That's good, but, really the best guys could play somewhere else on those terms, with their buddies, for a coach they know better......if they were ever contacted, the answer was no.

So, there's just been the handful of role players who struggled to crack the roster, and none stuck around for long due to the Orangeville familiarity bias.

I'd love to see Staats land here, and live up to his potential......tough sturdy lefty with smarts, flash, and a helluva stick. Could be a super-sized second coming of "Kid Rock" with better scoring and fewer demons.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  6. RockStar

And with an eye to the future with expansion and all, I might even trade Schreiber plus a first to get the first that would become Staats.

That's a damned lot to give up - a first, plus an athletic gunner that already had one fantastic NLL year, and, maybe as much upside as any of the other firsts, but, with Philly and maybe NY coming in over the next two years, you have to think it's going to be hard to hang onto Schreiber for too much longer anyway.

If this season disappoints as much as it might, hopefully they can "change of scenery" a few vets and somehow parlay that into a spare first that can be used for this trade.

7. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Toronto doesn't have a 1st rounder until 2020 to give right now. If there's a GM that is going to make a move to get Austin Staats and has the assets on its roster to do it, it will be Curt Styres in Rochester. The Rush also have 3 1st rounders in 2018 and 3 in 2019 to work with.

8. RockStar

Yeah, that's what I thought, future already mortgaged.

If they don't buy Schreiber plus a second, I guess it might take Schreiber plus an NLL-worthy role player.

9. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

We're about to see a dynasty in Saskatchewan, aren't we??

10. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

If it's Philly with the first overall pick, I wonder if they'd take Schreiber and Rabil? He seems unlikely to ever suit up for the Rock.

11. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

No just no that pos isn’t welcome in Philadelphia again he can sit and rot

12. AmericanRockFan

I was waiting for Hollywood42 to see MrBoo's comment.

I still wonder if Rabil would rather go to San Diego. The west coast is probably a rather untapped market for his brand.

13. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Rabil isn’t playing anywhere as long as he’s on the lizards , remember his contract prohibits him from playing indoor

He’s not well liked either I’ll keep my source confidential as he’s an active player

14. chuckster

Maybe. But with 2 expansion teams coming in next year and also likely the year after, the Rush will replace the 4 players on their roster they lose in the expansion drafts with up to 6 1st round picks. They could also use those picks as a way to keep an expansion team from touching certain guys they expose.

15. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

I hope Schrieber and McArdle make their way to Philly for high draft picks in a package deal. Rabil's a cancer that won't report anywhere unless the MLL folds or he ends up on a team that permits NLL play.

However the Rock acquire picks, I hope they do it soon. They can't rely solely on free agents in an expansion heavy league filled with competitive offers for services.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  16. RockStar

I cannot imagine being happy having this guy as a teammate.

Insists on playing set attack, and, either cannot figure it out, or simply refuses to figure it out.

Once someone passes to him, they and the others might as well just go back to the bench to spring the defender early.

17. AmericanRockFan

LULZ.

18. RockStar

If Schreiber likes being in Toronto, and is willing to deal with whatever it takes him to keep playing here, I am far less keen to move him after a few more games.

This said, I think I might still do it if it were the pick that could become Staats. Only thing more valuable than a top 5 righty attacker is a worldbeating goalie, or a top 5 lefty attacker.

19. chuckster

That might not be until the 2020 draft if Staats goes on to Syracuse. And you can bet that Curt Styres and Derek Keenan will try to out maneuver other teams for that top pick by accumulating 1st rounders to pay the price to move up.

20. AmericanRockFan

And last I knew, it sounded like this was the most likely scenario for Austin Staats' career. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy Schreiber's presence on this team and worry about what the future holds for his Rock career in the off-season. With the way the team is playing thus far, I have no reason to believe that he wants out unless something dramatic behind the scenes were to take place.