The OFFICIAL Pro Rasslin' Extravaganza Thread

Discussion in 'Off-topic Forum' started by AmericanRockFan, Dec 19, 2018.

1. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I too was surprised to see Mean Gene was only 76. He's looked old since I started watching wrestling in 1998, so I would've thought he was in his mid-80s at least because he looked at least mid-60s when I started watching when he was apparently only 56.

2. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Grew up with Billy "Red" Lyons as the ringmaster of Maple Leaf Wrestling, local promotion that partnered with NWA and was later bought out by WWF to bring big name talent to Toronto cards.

(Anyone remember the stooge WWF president, Jack Tunney, that McMahon used to hide behind back then? He was the real president of Maple Leaf Wrestling before the takeover, and then the real president business side of WWF's Cdn Ops (Titan Sports Canada) afterwards.....)

Mean Gene was there, doing the same job on the Buffalo station's Saturday afternoon WWF telecast......acting as the interviewer while the guys did their promos for the upcoming match.

My Lord, those telecasts were awful, but, you watched 'em anyway, because.....wtf else was there in a 13 to 30 channel universe?

76, eh? Damn.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  3. AmericanRockFan

Interesting that you mention him. He happens to be the brother-in-law of the aforementioned Dick "The Destroyer" Beyer who's golf course I frequent in the summer time. I can't remember who married who's sister though.

Although I'm past the days of watching regional pro wrestling (hell, I really don't even remember them since I grew up in the WCW, WWF, and ECW days), I do kinda wish that a regional MMA promotion would come to the Toronto and Buffalo region to fill that sort of void. Fans in Quebec might not realize how good they have it with the TKO MMA promotion.

A small part of me misses these days simply because it was easier to find people who watched the same crap you watch when there was less options to watch :p

4. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

His Wiki said he didnt do WwF until the early 80's, so what i recall must have been syndicated AWa in the 70's, which was based in the midwest.

5. AmericanRockFan

I enjoy watching some of those AWA shows on the WWE Network on occasion, and used to enjoy the periodic episode on ESPN Classic back in the day. I wish they had more of them in their library.

6. AmericanRockFan

I woke up at 2am to watch WrestleKingdom 13. I missed the three-way tag match because I took a shower so I could just leave for work after the main event ends, but I like what I’m seeing so far. Zack Sabre, Jr. is such an unappreciated worker in my opinion.

7. AmericanRockFan

Considering I got autographs from both of them when NJPW was in Buffalo two months ago, I’m thrilled to see that they put the tag titles on Evil and Sanada.

8. AmericanRockFan

I’m surprised to see NJPW put Jay White over on Okada, but not super surprised. I kinda expected them to use Okada to give White the rub similar to how Okada gave Scurll the rub at All In.

9. Tom Wersderfer

Tom Wersderfer Active Member

Jay White is being groomed to be the top foreigner in NJPW in case Kenny Omega decides to leave.

10. AmericanRockFan

I've gathered that based on the push he received last year, and the way they had him take the US title from Omega and take over the Bullet Club. I guess I'm just used to WWE swerves at WrestleMania where the new young guy doesn't always go over on the big stage so I was pleasantly surprised when they had Okada put White over.

Overall, I thought WrestleKingdom was pretty good although some of the matches were closer to average than I expected them to be. I didn't have the highest of hopes that Cody-Juice Robinson would be a thriller since their 2017 encounter was a little dull, but I expected a little more from the Kushida-Ishimori match. The final two matches were excellent, and honestly I was happy that the show wrapped up at about 7am so that I didn't get to work late.

I thought overall that this year's show was better than last year's, but I actually felt a little less of buzz heading into this year's show since no match had the level of buzz that Omega-Jericho had last year. Plus, this show came less than a week after UFC 232, and since I like MMA more than I like pro wrestling it's kinda hard for me to get super amped for wrestling after I just watched a pretty awesome MMA card.