Thoughts now that the season is over

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by Vin, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

1. During the half-time interview, the Commissioner implied no expansion in 2018 but looking for teams to play in 2019. He also said that they have pared down the list considerably to something like 30-something organizations from 200+.

2. The league needs a new trophy. Slapping on the new logo might have looked less ostentatious that the old logo, but it still looks like crap. Especially with the hollowed-out bottom in which we can see the long central screw when players pick up the trophy and place it over their heads.

Seriously, a new trophy would not be that expensive but we need something that exudes a bit of class - especially if we will be attempting to return to major markets with strong ownership groups. A trophy that looks like it was a middle school woodshop class project does not project a classy image or convey a sense of seriousness and respect from and for the league.

2. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Member

The Ardmore Aardvark says this season was just too damn long, and to be honest it feels like it was 3-4 years ago that the Toronto Rock ran the Rochester Knighthawks over in the first game of the season this season.

And yes, a new trophy is a must.

smurf666 likes this.
  3. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Sometimes I wonder if the commish's talk about expansion is all just hot air and/or they're having a really hard time selling this sport to potential buyers.

The trophy has to be the only wood trophy in all of pro sports.

Did anyone else notice that all the commercials during the Twitter stream were either for lax gear companies or the NLL itself?

smurf666 likes this.
  4. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Member

Isn't that how it is during the NLLTV feeds too? I guess they just put the NLLTV feed on Twitter.

smurf666 likes this.
  5. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

-Season was and is too damned long......There is no need to have 9 teams play an 18 game season that only washes out the last place team in the West and that plus one extra in the East. (There is also no need for East and West divisions, but, that's another argument.)

When more than half of the teams lose money on their home games, and when there is little to no external money from ad dollars for "telecasts" :rolleyes:, I feel the long season's costs far outweigh whatever advantages there might be.......By the way, can someone actually identify an advantage??

I think if you are going to keep the extended playoff format, you need to pare the regular season back down to 16, and maybe even a bit lower than that. It would certainly be easier to get good Saturdays or Fridays if you didn't have to find 9 of them, and, it would be easier to make a schedule and set prices that will sell more season seat packages.

-The rulebook is now insanely better than it was a few short years ago, but, they need Labranche and a few others to read the frucking thing...... tagged Latrell Harris with a game changing penalty for a borderline foul in the last minute of a one goal game, and, the frucking penalty he called does not even exist!!!

Then, at a much more critical juncture of the season, there is a major on "three apples tall" Linter for a headshot that didn't (couldn't) even happen.

Fact is, the Rock weren't winning **** this year, but, the second of those two calls made damned sure that they couldn't pull off a miracle.

Anyway, Sak needs to watch the second game of the championship final and get the refs on that page.......they only called the fouls that they had to, and, let the men sort it out. It was physical, entertaining, and had great flow.

6. chuckster

I agree. Game 2 was a great example of that.

7. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

I agree with what people have said above about the season being way too long. It feels like years ago when the season started back in December. I think it's tough to keep people's attention that long. Unfortunately, based on the podcast Inside Lacrosse just released today it seems the schedule will only get longer. Terry Foy sat down with both the NLL and MLL commish, and Sakiewicz said with expansion the schedule could be eight or nine months. As a guy who likes the MLL too, I find that quite annoying.

I noticed in the Game Two feed it seemed there were some advances with the presentation. Am I crazy, or did they not use the jumbotron feed? Also, they had a professional looking score bug. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE NLL develop a standard one and send it to all the teams to use. Use that one they had in Sask. It was small enough that it wasn't obnoxious and sleek enough that it looked professional. No more of this blocky look teams like the Swarm and Black Wolves have. Also, appeared that if it was a jumbotron feed, at least there was a director of sorts. When Andy and Shanny mentioned a player, it would show him.

Another thing I noticed was an actual moving graphic for commercial breaks. I know that's something some have called for on the boards/Teddy did on his podcast.

8. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

The season can't end in mid June ever again
    That was a joke

9. wacklax

wacklax Member

Welcome back hollywood. I fully agree.

10. New Fan

New Fan Member

Totally agree with everyone about the length of the season. Should be over in early May and start in early December. Would highly doubt there will be any new franchises this coming year. Maybe the Commish could work toward somehow getting a tv deal. The NLL Championship not even broadcast on TSN or Sportsnet or other national feeds. However, last week saw TSN sports was carry the National Spelling Bee from the USA. You have to shake your head on that one.

11. chuckster

I can't recall the last time the NLL Championship game wasn't on some TV station in the US or Canada. Even last year, it was on scattered regional sports networks. It was great to have it on Twitter for free but I would have rather have seen the game in HD and been able to put it on my DVR.

12. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

The director was OK ish, but, the camera work was more nauseating than an amusement park thrill ride with a gut full of ten beers
    and six pounds of cotton candy.

Kept leaving the camera on the tender when the ball was already 120' away.

They kept trying to centre on the ball, and they were "whipping" the camera around vigorously to do it.

Someone needs to learn these thickwits a thing or two about how to make this look good - JUST SET UP A FLOOR WIDTH SHOT CENTRED ON THE UNCLE-FRUCKING ATTACK ZONE!

Imagine a world where I can see clearly exactly what 11/12 of the players are up to! See what the ball carrier is up against! See what the off-ball players are doing and in what direction they are moving! If you could actually see the off-ball play that enables a wide open backdoor cut, by seeing the transitioners set up a triangular give-and-go play for their 3-on-2 odd man rush, well, damn.......you might actually learn the nuances of the game and find them interesting enough to watch.

Roughnecks Fan #1 likes this.
  13. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Heeeeeee's baaaaack..

14. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

How is it that people have a rough time with the National Lacrosse League season not even being 6 months long but they don't have a problem with the National Hockey League season being 8 months long? Do Canadians have an attention deficit disorder with respect to lacrosse? Is Don Cherry really that mesmerizing that time just flies? I have no problem with the length of the season although for the sake of the sport I would prefer that it start earlier in autumn and end in April or May.

As for divisions, yeah maybe a single division would be better but two divisions helps cut down on travel costs. Besides, as the league expands, more teams will be in each division changing direction and divisions will make more sense. You take action for the future not for the present.

15. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

2005 on NBC I believe.... that's broadcast TV, not cable. For cable, Universal Sports or CBS Sports Channel 3 or 4 years ago.

16. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

TSN had a fairly solid package of games as recently as two seasons ago, but, many of the matches were on TSN2, which seems to be restricted to third tier cable, and, other than the NLL mostly shows uninteresting garbage.

I mostly just found it hilarious - Bell was my provider, and, TSN is part of their media empire.........should they not WANT me to watch their stupid station? Why were they hiding it somewhere where I'm very unlikely to pay for it and see anything on it?

Anyway, with the newfangled ability to change your cable package from the TV, or your laptop, I cannot even remember how many times I added and subtracted TSN2 in a four month period, it was fricking hilarious. Some months, I didn't get a bill at all. Others, I got a pro-rated charge for about 2 or 3 days of the better cable package. Beat the **** out of actually paying $30 extra on an already bloated bill!

17. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

I can remember the Stanley Cup usually being awarded by mid May......although, back then, the first two playoff rounds were fivers, and they would actually play home games on back to back nights in the early rounds.

This would be awesome to see again. Mid June is too bloody late for ice hockey as well.

The other thing I always hated about NHL was how thin the schedule feels in the first few months, and then a ridiculous Thursday-to-Monday all star break, and then ridiculous stretches of like 4 games in six nights etc. to get stars overworked and hurt just in time for the playoff push......

Might be best if they ran at a steadier pace from end October to end May. Reducing the workload in the late regular season and giving a longer off season would prolong many careers I think.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  18. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Member

Ah yes, the time Vin began to hate NASCAR because that snooty Asian man and his quasi-hot girlfriend bitched and moaned (in a non-sexual way) that their NASCAR loving was pre-empted by lacrosse.

The Ardmore Aardvark da hath a rather splendid memory, no?

19. wacklax

wacklax Member

Hockey should be done May 20 th or so it is ridiculously dragged out as well. Nll playoff should be shorter as wel. Should not take 14 days to play a 3 game series. Also the frukken week off between the semis and finals in all sports blows azz!

smurf666 likes this.
  20. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Because I can watch 2-3 sometimes 4 flyers games in 7 days