Thoughts now that the season is over

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by Vin, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Vin

Vin Active Member

Yeah, I think that was right - 2013.
    I wasn't going to have a repeat of that in 2014 and so I missed the championship that year and went ballistic at the NLL for fÅ­cking me and other faithful over by having the games available on YouTube (TLN) and then taking the championship away from YouTube and putting it on Ochos (*). I seriously almost gave-up my fandom. It was like being a baseball fan after 1994. I felt raped. Really, it never fully recovered after that as evidenced by my not making the effort this year to see a Black Wolves game.

The thread from 2014 in which I discovered the horrible truth and almost lost it.
    http://forums.ilindoor.com/threads/broadcast-of-championship-game.317663/
    You can see evidence of the anger in these follow-up threads.
    http://forums.ilindoor.com/threads/my-thoughts-on-the-mini-game.317691/
    http://forums.ilindoor.com/threads/where-is-vin.317714/

(*) ESPN3 and some other cable systems. With ESPN3, anyone who did not have cable was a victim of TV Everywhere which is also now called authenticated streaming, but that's broader now like NLLTV. With TV Everywhere, the cable/satellite companies are attempting to stem the loss of cord-cutters and not getting the cord-nevers by permitting streaming if only you have a paid cable/satellite subscription. Fortunately, many content providers like HBO are seeing the writing on the tablet and are beginning to offer streaming subscriptions of their own without cable/satellite. In 2014, that was science fiction.

I don't mind paying for stuff like NLLTV, but I do mind paying for stuff I don't want like cable or satellite.

I tell you: I am still smoldering over what happened 3 years ago.
    You don't screw over the faithful.
    NLL 2014: "It's just business."
    Michael Corleone: "Don't ever take sides against the family."

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  2. Vin

Vin Active Member

I don't understand?... Especially since the number of goals scored a week's worth of Flyers games is still less than the number of goals scored in 1 NLL game.

3. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Member

The Ardmore Aardvark concurs with thee. NFL season has only 1 game per week, which seems to be the model the NLL is going for and yet no one complains about thy NFL season being so ******* long....

4. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I would love it if the NLL had every team play 1 game per week with only 1 bye. And every game is on a Saturday night (9 teams makes that difficult). But imagine if the NFL went to 18 games, 4 pre-season games, wild card games, division semis, then conference finals with 2 games and the possibility of a mini-game, then a best 2 out of 3 Super Bowl. I think people would say the season is too long.

smurf666 likes this.
  5. Vin

Vin Active Member

BTW, right now, the NFL season is 2 weeks to 1 month shorter than the NLL season is.

6. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

meh, goals are cool, but, comparing scoring in two different sports to justify bigger love for one is a bit weak.

besides, goals are only part of the attraction for me. I would rather see a 3-2 war where every goal was paid for with blood, bruises, and teeth than a 15-14 shootout where half of them were launched from 25' plus without a defender even at stick length.

7. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Member

The Ardmore Aardvark would like to see a season that starts in late December and has concluded by Memorial Day. Also, he would like to see games where the scoring is closer to 8-7. Maybe even a rule where the first team to score 10 goals wins (you have to win by 2 goals, though) and we can all start them there post-game festivities way sooner or just beat the traffic and go home depending on your style.

8. Vin

Vin Active Member

I respect defense a great deal, DougM having made me seen the light and converting me... But, no, I like scoring just the way it is. The LAST thing we need is for NLL to have less scoring than field. When field is considered more exciting than box, weird things are happening - like a Cheeto becoming President.

Don't get me wrong; I have no problems with low-scoring excellent D games, but I don't want the rules altered to artificially deflate the scoring. Indeed, even the increase in goal size a few years ago allegedly to increase scoring, didn't have any significant impact since the average number of goals in an NLL game has been about 25 for a dozen or more years. (The average this year is 24.3 goals per game.)

9. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Member

The Ardmore Aardvark cannot disagree with the Vin, in that I don't necessarily prefer close 8-7 contests, but I'll take those over having frequent 25-22 shootouts (which never happen, and for that I am pretty damn happy).

Aardvark da likes him a game that results in a quality score of 14-12 or so.

10. Vin

Vin Active Member

I don't have that need for violence.
    A sniper's accuracy and lethality is more appreciated than an invading horde or Orcs from Lord of the Rings.

11. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

But if the NFL went to 2 more regular season games to get to the NLL number, plus 2 games for conference finals (add 1 more week) and then at least another 2 weeks for a best of 3 Super Bowl (add 1-2 more weeks) , you'd be longer than the current NLL season. That's 4-5 additional weeks of the NFL season.

smurf666 likes this.
  12. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Field wuss.

13. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

But they now have 20x more clean hitting not called as penalties. Get back to old school box hitting!

14. Vin

Vin Active Member

Oh I like the physicality too but I appreciate goals made by being smart or a marksman just as much. JT and Jr and a host of others were like that.