Time For A Change

Discussion in 'Calgary Roughnecks Forum' started by New Fan, Feb 19, 2017.

1. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

Just in from watching the Necks lose their 3rd straight game, all at home and to a visiting team who had previously lost 5 in a row. This team is nowhere working at its ability level. It's time the HC is fired as he has lost this team. Time for the GM to grow some balls and relieve him of this job or maybe he will be first to go. Missed the boat letting Bruce Codd go to the Toronto Rock.

2. Agree with ya there. Much as i respect Malawsky for his playing, obviously something not right and having McMahon as well - dude is useless, never even says two words. I am liking Rob Williams as defence coach, adding some gusto we were lacking even under Codd. The team seems lost as well, probably feeling really discouraged by the league for all the bullsh*t our players get put through game after game!

3. Saskie Fan

Saskie Fan Guest

Definetley time for a change. Sorry mouse time to go. Great guy and good coach but the boys arent responding. Its a gutless effort in the first half then they show muscle at the end of the game with the almost brawl??? Where was that all game?? Not just all the coach either. Carnigie needs to lose the C for a bit. He needs to lead by example and by some stupid passes its not happening. Weak effort necks absolutley weak. Still a necks fan but getting very frustrated.

4. Ryan Coke

Ryan Coke Member

Here's my proposed change: I'm going to start showing up for games after halftime like the rest of the team. If I judge this team by second half play over the last couple games, then I don't have to drink as much. The boys need to come off the bench fired up from minute zero. Some more grit in the defensive end would be a good start. I don't think other teams are afraid of our defense. Go in, set up, pass the ball around a bit, maybe get slapped, maybe get tickled, dodge a purse swing, get a shot on net. Past Neck defenses used to leave bodies on the floor.

5. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Not only would you drink less, but wouldn't parking be cheaper as well?

6. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

Certainly lots of great observations about the team. Replacing the HCoach is the theme as the team has stopped listening to his message. HC Wants to shoulder the blame for not having them ready. They're not ready because they have tuned him out. Agree that team is really lacking leadership and that the D is not tough enough. Disagree on the Bruce Codd review. Great D guy in his day and a players coach. Well respected. Just look at Rock D this year. Average goals against us around 85 and Rock only 62 GA. Duttons will suffer if Ryan only goes at half time. Team has a tough 6 games ahead of them. 3 teams now fighting for 2 playoff spots.

7. Saskie Fan

Saskie Fan Guest

Need I say more. Mouse has lost this team. Great coach and person but the guys just are not producing for him anymore. They can talk all they want but a change is needed. For gods sake management wake up. Mike Board its time

8. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

Couldn't agree more and should have happened sooner. Best move would be to replace him tonight. Team will have 9 games left to get into the playoffs and get back on track. If Board doesn't fire him then the Flames management should fire him as well.

9. rigger1

rigger1 Guest

The biggest tell for me from last nights game is the huge lack of push back.. When Keogh knocked Manning down with a borderline cheap shot Malowski went ballistic.. The response from his players was invisible.. Where is the leadership from the players? In years past something would have been done immediately. The other team would have been accountable for their actions.. Not seeing this anymore.. Dobbie showed a little pride in the 4th quarter but, come on, He's the guy?!! really?? No one is afraid of the Roughnecks.. Not a band of brothers on the floor, just a group of individuals at the moment.

10. blake1827

blake1827 Member

Honestly I didn't think the 'Necks played that bad last night. After falling behind early they got within 1 early in the third and then they kinda checked out maybe thinking ahead to tonight's game. But it wasn't the typical physical 'Necks team I'm used to seeing either on either side of the ball tbh. Nobody wanted to do much dirty work setting picks and screens on offense. The Mammoth offense was hot no doubt, but Scigliano didn't have a good night he was guessing and left hung out to dry and veteran keeper like Higgins has got to be better than Del Bianco.

11. rigger1

rigger1 Guest

18-9! Worst game all year... whole team was off.. Compared to the game last week in Saskatoon, no comparison.. Its not going to get any easier tonight either.. Last place in the west.. no movement on offence, no space creation, no push back.. Where is the leadership on this team?

12. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

Rigger, great observations on the biggest concern which it is leadership. The best captains are relentlessly competitive and compelled to win, have passion about their team's success and about their teammates, respect others and the game, are honest, encourage their teammates and are the hardest workers. This was established by their first Captain in Tracey Kelusky and passed on to his teammate Andrew McBride who had the same qualities in spades. Those types of Captains are essential when you have a Head Coach who is an intense snap show individual. Right now no one has stepped up to replace the leadership that was provide under his captaincy. You are right in guys would have paid the price for the crap that is going on now. Add the loss of Snider and Evans who would never accept the way this team is going. You can't buy leadership. Get rid of the current Head Coach for a start and I think the guys will respond to a different culture.

13. rigger1

rigger1 Guest

Leadership starts with the captain, true, but there are a lot of veteran players on this team who know what it takes to win.. They are not standing up for each other.. Just a side note, Bruce Alexander was the first captain on the 2001 Roughnecks.. Kelusky played for Montreal that season (was actually an opponent during the first ever league game here in Calgary)

14. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

Absolutely correct on first captain in Bruce Alexander and last night they did stand up and play for each other. A gutsy win. However, won't change my mind on the HC still needs to go.

15. rigger1

rigger1 Guest

OK, If the coach is the problem, (and I am not agreeing or disagreeing), who would you bring in to replace him? (or them if indeed it is a coaching staff issue?)

16. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

Great question. Last year said they missed the boat not hiring Bruce Codd. I'm sure there's lots of folks out there who might have some names. Present Head Coach now has a record of 40-41 since he took over in 2013. With all that talent should be a hell of a lot better. Will he be replaced this year? Doubt it. Next 3 games at Toronto, Saskatchewan and Georgia will be big.

17. Unfortunately, though, I see it as our guys are afraid to push back, seeing as we are penalized way more harshly then anyone else in the league. We can't afford any more suspensions.

18. The way I see it actually is that our guys are afraid to knock back, seeing how we are the most unfairly penalized team in the league. What a simple legal hit by another team gets the most record-setting suspension thus far in the league, we can't afford another suspension.

RockStar likes this.
  19. rigger1

rigger1 Guest

"seeing how we are the most unfairly penalized team in the league." Roughnecks Fan

I have to agree with you here.. I am mystified with the 5 minute call on Cattoni on Saturday night. Hard pick - loss of possession, see it all the time, every game. At worst, maybe a two minute minor for roughing? 5 minutes for body check? shoulder to shoulder... Really?? Compare that hit to the one Keogh gave Manning on Friday night, looked like a hit to the head to me... no call.. nothing... The referee that made the call was behind the play. The near official, who saw entire hit, did not make the call...
    Calls like this drive players crazy..

Roughnecks Fan #1 likes this.
  20. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

First, the lack of any call on Manning in Colorado was unbelievable. Second, the 5 on Holden C whose hit was no where near the hit on Manning just confirms the lack of consistency with referees in the Nll. My bet would have been a minimum penalty on Harnett if it had been a different crew refereeing the game. You bet players must be frustrated. On the push back question I don't mean Head hunting or boarding as the push back. In a game where you are getting thumped the next shift or two roughing or even a fighting call sends back a message. You know that would have happened in the past.