Time For Change In BC

Discussion in 'BCLA Forum' started by Joe Dysco, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Joe Dysco

Joe Dysco New Member

I would like to congratulate the Maple Ridge Burrards , Langley Knights , and the Coquitlam Adanacs in this years Mann, Presidents, and Minto Cups. Looking at what BC has done in the past 20 years , I'm not very impressed. We have won 6 Mann Cups, 4 Presidents Cups, and 7 Minto Cups. It's time to make BC lacrosse stronger and the way to do that is to shorten the amount of teams in each league. It's too watered down. Currently there are: 6 MSL teams and 7 WLA teams ....... 6 OLA SrB teams and 8 WCSLA teams....... 11 OJALA teams and 8 BCJLA teams. How can Ontario have more teams in 2 of the leagues and have triple the amount of players to choose from???? It doesn't make sense. They also can pick players from Quebec and New York and the players do not go against their import card. If BC wants to win more championships then the governors of leagues need to work together on making this happen. I don't see BC competing unless change happens. GO BC!!!

2. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

There's a denser population base to choose from. Greater Toronto alone has a population of 6 million while all of BC has a population of 4.6 million (Greater Vancouver area has 2.4 million). More people = more teams to stock players with.

3. Dave S-C

Dave S-C Active Member

Agree, Ontario's population base will always give them an advantage vs. BC Lower Mainland.

What I think needs to be fixed is with the Snr B Presidents Cup format. I find it absurd there are two 3-team leagues (Quebec and Tri-Nations Leagues) that play an interlocking schedule with each other but get separate berths into the Presidents Cup - while Ontario and BC have larger leagues but only one berth (unless hosting). The QSLL and TNSLL should only get one berth for their combined size. Or the QSLL gets a berth for repping the province and the TNSSL and Can-Am League play off for the ILA spot. Otherwise the OLA Snr B and WCSLA should just break up into separate "leagues" and demand more spots at Presidents Cup.

4. valleygoalie

valleygoalie New Member

There some things BC does bad and good. One good is I like that they have all these teams it gives more players an chance to play. That being said there is always 1 or 2 teams that do not belong in the Sr B league in BC.

If you want to fault BC for anything just look at there record in the Founders Cup. BC rarely has an team there that competes and the problem I think in BC is that they have made playing B lacrosse something that players would rather quit at in the higher levels than play. And this start in minor with having A1, A2, B and C. The majority of those A1 and A2 players will quit once they get out of minor lacrosse if they dont make an A team and wont play B.

5. Rockman

Rockman Active Member

Ontario does a better job of stacking the teams as there seems to be more teams with money to throw to top talent and teams willing to trade players to the teams that have the $$$. BC might be more even on that front apart from Victoria.

6. Crabman19

Crabman19 Active Member

I agree with you in theory, maybe there are too many teams in Vancouver....but lets be clear here buds. The Victoria Shamrocks have won 5 of the 6 Mann Cups the West has won in the last 20 years. Only the Adanacs in 2001 who barely eeked it out in game 7 have saved any face for the Vancouver teams. Our size and population in Victoria is quite small compared to the Greater Vancouver area, so how do you explain this? I would argue Victoria has by far done the best job in the West, without us it really would be a sad showing.

7. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Love debating what-ifs.

The Shamrocks' org is clearly the class of the WLA for as long as I've been watching, but, it's hard to say what would happen if they weren't there.

If Victoria did not have a team, their Mainland/Island talent plus possibly a few of their imports would be spread between the GVA teams, and that would certainly nudge those operations to a higher level. Based on a few recent Mann finals I followed, The WLA champ might not have needed much of a nudge to bring a cup home:

New West took two games in Peterborough's barn in 2010.....had the series tied after 4 games.

Similarly, Langley took two games in Peterborough in 2012.....were up 2-0 after 2, in fact

Beefing up these teams with a 2 or more A-list players might have made a big difference and tipped a couple of the closer games.

One little aberration in the Mann Cup history needs to be mentioned as well - New West really should have had one to break up Ontario's streak NW had Brampton by the balls in Game 7 2009 before a critical gaffe forced overtime and let Brampton steal it. A couple Victoria ringers might have stopped that one from even going to 7.

8. Crabman19

Crabman19 Active Member

um...Rockstar, you are forgetting the biggest one of them all. 2002 The Shamrocks were screwed in game 7 by that crook Fox....should have been the first team since New West in 86 to win in the east.

9. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Wish I could argue, or agree, with you

I saw every game except 5 and 7 that series.

So, no comment, except that I think I remember that Vic had dug themselves a 3 games to 1 hole to start the series....after that, the smart money has to bet against them beating the home team + the refs 3x in a row.

I'm pretty sure it happens the other way too....Crosato used to be the guy who came East, and, he rarely saw it in favour of Ontario.

Wish this stuff was a little bit more professional and a little less regional

10. Crabman19

Crabman19 Active Member

I was listening to that series on the radio as they didn't do any tv broadcasting that made it to the West in 2002....

I'll agree with you about Crosato, I hated that guy too. Typical Burnaby homer.