Tired of Hickeys shot selection

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by rocklax#1, Mar 18, 2017.

1. rocklax#1

rocklax#1 Member

Hickeys shot selection late in games has been horrible, he now has 3 times shot way wide and from wayyyy out late in a game that has directly led to a breakaway for other team or empty net goal, when we need a goal to tie or win. Each time has resulted in a loss. I don't understand why when you need a goal this guy decides to shoot from 4-5feet inside the line and think he can score from way out there. AS a sidenote, NO the shot clock hasn't been close to 0.

Another thing ive noticed is if our guys don't hussle, we look horrible. 6 out of last 8 possessions against Mammoth resulted in no shot on net.

Joking note, should go back to Fryer as backup Rosey has been shaky since Miller(sans Calgary game) came back. Possible nerves of looking over shoulder?

RockStar likes this.
  2. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I was screaming the same thing from my perch - "Why are you taking THAT shot THAT EARLY in the clock???"

Need to get Beirnes more into it, because if they have to respect the crease threat, Hickey can probably find room to get 10 feet closer to a good shooting location.

3. rocklax#1

rocklax#1 Member

great minds think alike rockstar. and even if he gets 10 feet closer its still 10 feet too far out, lol

RockStar likes this.
  4. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Here's my random thoughts in response to the original poster and RockStar:

• I find myself rather annoyed by Hickey's shot selection a lot of the time as well, and often wonder why he's taking shots from so far away. But the guy is the Rock's all-time leader in goals scored per game and finds a way to make it work enough that I can at least tolerate it. That said, I'd like to see him shoot from closer to the net more often.
    • Taking a shot super early in the shot clock is the bane of my lacrosse fandom existence, at least when the shooter is fighting through traffic and taking a shot that's not even there. It's one thing when you have a breakaway or a glorious shooting opportunity but to shoot just for the ******* hell of it and have the shot get deflected and lead to a turnover just makes me shake my head.
    • As much as it sounds like a joke, as a psych person I do kinda wonder if Miller's presence does have a small impact on Rose. Only Nick Rose really knows the answer to the question, and while I'm not saying that Miller's return from injury has gotten into Rose's head, I'm just saying it's not as far fetched as one might think.
    • Mikey MacDonald is crap and I'd way rather see Reid Reinhold, Kieran McArdle, and Turner Evans (when healthy) in the lineup. I'm over Mikey MacDonald.
    • Honestly, I'm not even that mad the Rock lost to the Mammoth. The Mammoth were just better than the Rock were on Friday night.

5. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Active Member

Sometimes shooting early in the shot clock is by design, particularly near the end of a quarter. If team A gets possession with 45 seconds left in the quarter, often they will shoot quickly. This is to make sure that if team B takes the full 30 seconds of their possession, team A gets the last possession of the quarter. I'm not entirely sure why the last possession is important, but it seems to be.

Of course, if you shoot quickly and then grab your own rebound, then it kind of backfires in that you get the full 30 and the other team gets the last possession of the quarter.

6. rocklax#1

rocklax#1 Member

agreed on McDonald, couldn't believe Keiren was scratched, well has run a little dry for him, but the effort is 100% there still

7. AmericanRockFan

Weekends like this past weekend are why I can tolerate Hickey's questionable shot selection at times. Who would've thought that a kid who Vancouver gave up on after recording 5 goals and 5 assists in 9 career games would become arguably the best goal scorer (in terms of goal per game average) in Rock history?

8. AmericanRockFan

I'm not sure if it's necessarily having the last possession of the quarter/half that's important (which I suppose I get that it's ideal, but not necessarily always crucial) or if it's the idea of squeezing 1 extra possession in before the whistle sounds. Regardless, I usually don't have an issue with this strategy unless the guy is taking a stupid shot for the sake of taking a shot on the first possession.

9. RockStar

I've seen the "shoot early" tactic, and, I kind of hate it.

I'd rather chew up a few more seconds in an effort to get a better shot, or one more likely to rebound in a good way for an O-zone loosie and reset.

10. rocklax#1

rocklax#1 Member

well once again, even though we had no business being in the game 15-14 today, Hickey takes another stupid shot with oodles of time left on clock, but hey he did hit the net for a change. Right now with his shot selection id trade him away. Its also time to bring in a veteran dman or 2. 29 goals in 2 games is horseshit. I hated seeing Patrick in lineup Friday, maybe get Marshall back in there

11. RockStar

Merrill at 38, joining the team in training camp condition for the stretch drive....
    gotta wonder how good an idea that actually is.

12. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

I disagree with you, New England had no business winning today with all the second chance opportunities the rock had I haven't looked up loose ball stats but I'm sure New England got their ass kicked in that regard

13. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Why is the rock pp so bad yet their 6/5 o is money

14. RockStar

70 shots, and outballed most of the game.....Rock should've found a way to outscore

15. k-hawksfan33

k-hawksfan33 Active Member

Trade Hickey to ROC for a pair of defenders. I honestly think it could help both teams.

16. RockStar

when Hellyer is back there will be a glut of righties.....they are already dressing four per game and I think there is also Caputo as a prospect.

i would think hickey, lintner or beirnes would be left exposed to expansion draft if such a thing actually happens

17. AmericanRockFan

.......leaving a 50 goal scorer exposed in the expansion draft?? Trading a 50 goal scorer for 2 defenders??

50 goal scorers don't grow on trees. Like I said earlier, I'd prefer Hickey not take some head scratching shots, but the guy is good for 2-3 goals a game most nights and it's not like that'd be super easy to replace if he magically disappeared from the lineup, so unless the Rock are getting one hell of a haul in return for him, then trading Hickey shouldn't be discussed.

18. RockStar

I'm thinking nothing less than a big and strong NLL lefty d or attack plus a first rounder....

And if he must be moved, please trade him to a team that the rock never play, like Colorado......He's sturdier than any of the rocks lefty d men and he's been shooting on rose for three years