Toronto Rock 2018 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by AmericanRockFan, Nov 27, 2017.

1. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I guess it's time for a new thread now that the pre-season is over :cool:

For those who haven't yet seen it, here's the opening night roster:

Forwards
    6 Kieran McArdle
    10 Rob Hellyer
    11 Brett Hickey
    16 Adam Jones
    17 Stephan Leblanc
    26 Tom Schreiber
    41 Dan Lintner
    97 Reid Reinholdt

Transition
    3 Brock Sorensen
    22 Phil Caputo
    37 Brodie Merrill

Defensemen
    2 Drew Belgrave
    5 Sandy Chapman
    20 Bradley Kri
    45 Damon Edwards
    82 Jordan Magnuson
    91 Billy Hostrawser
    93 Latrell Harris

Goaltenders

35 Brandon Miller
    66 Nick Rose

While saying so may inevitably lead to a letdown of sorts, I think this offense has potential to surpass or at least be even with the 2005 offense that saw Colin Doyle, Josh Sanderson, Blaine Manning, and Aaron Wilson combine for about 380 points of production that season. Here's hoping no one gets seriously hurt in 2018, because I feel like the offensive depth falls off a cliff after the top five...although that just be because of how quality the top five are.

I'm not sure what to make of Belgrave since I haven't seen him play but I've heard good things about him. Not having Jesse Gamble available in 2018 worries me a little bit in regards to the transition game, so hopefully Phil Caputo or someone helps pick up the slack there.

Let's hope one of the goalies comes out of the gate strong in 2018 so the team doesn't have to have a goalie rotation this year.

Go. Rock. Go.

2. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

The big question is whether the Rock did enough to improve their team from the 9-9 squad. Will adding Adam Jones be enough to get them over .500? Otherwise, it's the same goaltending and almost the same defense as last year.

3. AmericanRockFan

Don't forget that Rob Hellyer will be back this year as well, so it's almost as if the Rock have made two big additions to the offense for 2018, plus they've added a healthy Brock Sorensen to the defense/transition in 2018. But otherwise, I agree. To me, the defense/goaltending is the X-factor for the Rock's 2018 success. Nick Rose is good, but I don't think he's the guy to take the Rock to the championship. Brandon Miller is also good, but he's closer to 40 than he is to 30, and eventually time will catch up with him. I think there's going to be a few wins where the Rock need to outscore the opposition to win (totally redundant remark, but you know what I'm saying).

4. AmericanRockFan

Also, a new list of milestones to keep an eye out for in 2018:
    • Stephan Leblanc can move from 11th to 8th all-time in games played for the Rock. He's currently at 130 games, and can pass Josh Sanderson (135), Dan Ladouceur (136), and Jim Veltman (142) this season.
    • Stephan Leblanc can improve his standing in the career goals department. He's 3rd all-time at 247. He probably won't catch Blaine Manning (307) but can create some space ahead of Kasey Beirnes (245)
    • Stephan Leblanc can become the 4th Rock player to record 400 assists for the club. He's at 351 right now.
    • Stephan Leblanc can become the 4th Rock player to record 600 points for the club. He's at 598 right now.
    • Rob Hellyer can become the 7th player to record 200 assists for the club. He has 192 right now.
    • Rob Hellyer is 9th all-time in career points (306) and is 28 away from Aaron Wilson (334) for 8th.
    • Brett Hickey can pass Dan Stroup for 11th in career points. Hickey has 186 points and is currently 12th all-time. Stroup had 191 points. Hickey is 43 points from tying Steve Toll for 10th all-time at 229 points.
    • Sandy Chapman is 5th all-time in loose balls at 746, and is 13 LBs away from Rob Marshall for 4th at 759 LBs. He could catch Colin Doyle for 3rd (808 LBs).
    • If Billy Hostrawser returns to his goon ways, he could pass Colin Doyle (251) and Pat Coyle (257) for 3rd all-time in penalty minutes. He currently has 242 career PIMs.
    • Brandon Miller is 1 win away from tying Anthony Cosmo for 3rd all-time on the Rock's list. He currently has 12, Cosmo had 13.
    • Matt Sawyer will hopefully pass Glenn Clark on the all-time wins list. Sawyer sits at 6th with 9 wins, Clark had 12 wins in his tenure as Rock head coach.
    • Tom Schreiber is 6 points away from becoming the 19th Rock player to record 100 points for the club, and if he matches last season's points total he'll be 13th in career points after only two seasons with the Rock.

5. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Ah, I forgot about Hellyer coming back. I don't think anyone in the East will be at the level of the Swarm but the rest of the division is up for grabs. All of the other teams in the East made more moves to get better, whether through free agency or the draft (or both). Bring on the season!!

6. AmericanRockFan

Agreed on Georgia. I don't see anyone other than them winning the east this year, but I think second place is very much up for grabs. Anyone else in the division can beat anyone, so it'll be interesting to see what unfolds in spots 2 through 5 in the east this year.

7. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

£uck Georgia, Second place is just as good as first.....single game knockout for East final now. :)

8. RockStar

And, as far as the defence goes, it is younger, speedier, and starting the season healthy. I never saw it as the real problem anyway......last year in many of the losses, the goal production was ordinary and the lefty attack were all but skunked.......

With the lefty thing addressed in a positive way (Jones), I have nothing but optimism. Just going to come down to these guys actually executing when it counts, and staying healthy.

9. AmericanRockFan

What I'm really eager to see here is how Schreiber and Hellyer produce in 2018. Of course, there's no doubt that they're both top talent, but I'm curious to see if Schreiber has any sort of sophomore jinx and a drop in production and if Hellyer looks rusty at all missing all of last year and getting back into game mode both physically and mentally (because the truth is, you can rehab physically as much as you want, but you can't exactly fully replicate the emotional component of it in practices).

10. AmericanRockFan

Here's hoping the Rock have a hell of a walkup crowd for the opener in 11 days. I can't really make my estimates this year like I did last year since Ticketmaster now just says "100+ available" instead of giving an exact amount, but the seating chart doesn't look incredibly promising for next Saturday. The lower bowl looks half full, with the end that the Rock defend in the 2nd and the 4th looking like it will be devoid of fans :eek:

11. AmericanRockFan

Unsure if it means anything, but Brandon Slade has been moved to the active roster and Drew Belgrave has been placed on the practice squad.

12. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Member

IT MEANS THAT HONEY BADGER FROM NEARBY BROCK IS GONNA GET TO MAKE HIS PRO DEBUT IN FRONT OF ALL THE FLY HONIES FROM HIS ALMA MATER MAKING THE TREK ACROSS THE BORDER FROM SAINT KITTS.

13. AmericanRockFan

.....okay then. Personally, I'm actually a little bummed to not see Belgrave play tomorrow, but I'm curious to see what Slade can offer on the defensive front since I believe he was an attacker at Brock.

14. AmericanRockFan

WHO IS READY TO ROCK?!

P.S., maybe I should make some sock puppets to converse with in this thread this season.

GIMME AN R!

15. RockStar

16. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

17. AmericanRockFan

K

WHATCHA GOT?!

18. RockStar

19. RockStar